Hello to all!

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
User avatar
LarBob
Donor
Donor
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:43 am
Location: Kentucky, US

Hello to all!

Unread postby LarBob » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:25 pm

Hello everyone, LarBob here. I just registered on the forum the other day and found out about the site from /r/retrobattlestations. I'm 15 and have been interested in retro computing for a while now, but mostly have older PCs and Macs. My favorite machine that I own is a backlit Macintosh Portable that I'm getting recapped right now (the board had quite a bit of goop from the capacitors leaked on to it). The two things that I wish to get are a SGI machine and a NeXT machine. I currently don't have either, but am especially looking for some SGI machine now so I can try IRIX and all of the software.

I think this site is really awesome. The nekoware is especially cool. When I hopefully eventually get a SGI machine, it'll be really cool to try out all of the software. I think it's really cool that a lot of people have come together to maintain these machines and I really respect it. I really want to learn more about these machines, as I don't know that much compared to vintage Macs or PCs. I am a SUSE Certified Linux Administrator (SCA11) and am studying for the CompTIA Network+ certification right now.

That's a little about me, I saw some other threads like this from people that just joined and thought maybe I could post one too... Anyways, nice to meet you all! I hope to learn a lot about these really interesting systems. Thanks everyone!
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30

User avatar
uunix
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Stourbridge / England / UK

Re: Hello to all!

Unread postby uunix » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:28 pm

Welcome LarBob, cool CV ..

You should tell us where in the world you live, you never know, someone down the street may have an Indy for you..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
LarBob
Donor
Donor
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:43 am
Location: Kentucky, US

Re: Hello to all!

Unread postby LarBob » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:48 pm

uunix wrote:Welcome LarBob, cool CV ..

You should tell us where in the world you live, you never know, someone down the street may have an Indy for you..

I'm located in KY. :)
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30

User avatar
uunix
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 pm
Location: Stourbridge / England / UK

Re: Hello to all!

Unread postby uunix » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:56 pm

Jelly
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
LarBob
Donor
Donor
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:43 am
Location: Kentucky, US

Re: Hello to all!

Unread postby LarBob » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:15 pm

uunix wrote:Jelly

No, I'm Jelly that you guys have all of these nice SGI machines! :P
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30

User avatar
Kotomo
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:14 am
Location: Maryland, USA.

Re: Hello to all!

Unread postby Kotomo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:40 am

Welcome!

Definitely keep your eyes peeled in the Bazaar section. One of us is always selling something. Sometimes posts on good or interesting Ebay deals will appear there as well.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2000: :O2000:

User avatar
LarBob
Donor
Donor
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:43 am
Location: Kentucky, US

Re: Hello to all!

Unread postby LarBob » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:20 am

Kotomo wrote:Welcome!

Definitely keep your eyes peeled in the Bazaar section. One of us is always selling something. Sometimes posts on good or interesting Ebay deals will appear there as well.

Thanks. :)
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30

User avatar
vishnu
Donor
Donor
Posts: 3183
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Re: Hello to all!

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:17 pm

Before you make the decision to actually buy something, make sure to post here first to ask for some advice. In particular, the "buy it now" prices on Ebay, even for lower end SGI workstations, tend to be a bit ridiculous. Oh, and welcome to the site! :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

User avatar
LarBob
Donor
Donor
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:43 am
Location: Kentucky, US

Re: Hello to all!

Unread postby LarBob » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:11 pm

vishnu wrote:Before you make the decision to actually buy something, make sure to post here first to ask for some advice. In particular, the "buy it now" prices on Ebay, even for lower end SGI workstations, tend to be a bit ridiculous. Oh, and welcome to the site! :mrgreen:

Yeah, I've been wondering where to find some good ones besides the bazaar here. I found some other sites that are selling some. Thanks for the welcome!
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30

User avatar
vishnu
Donor
Donor
Posts: 3183
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Re: Hello to all!

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:41 pm

There are always a bunch of SGI workstations on Ebay, the trick is finding one with a reasonable price. They do pop up occasionally but they tend to sell really quickly... :roll:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

User avatar
LarBob
Donor
Donor
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:43 am
Location: Kentucky, US

Re: Hello to all!

Unread postby LarBob » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:46 pm

vishnu wrote:There are always a bunch of SGI workstations on Ebay, the trick is finding one with a reasonable price. They do pop up occasionally but they tend to sell really quickly... :roll:

Yeah, I've been looking a lot for the past few days. Thanks:)
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30

User avatar
thegoldbug
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:36 pm
Location: AZ, hot like Crematoria
Contact:

Re: Hello to all!

Unread postby thegoldbug » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Hello there,

I am in the processing of finding a new house and will be moving in the next two months and have multiple SGIs.

Selling one of them off won't hurt the moving guys feelings.

What are you looking for:

I have two toasters, several Indys, I2s, Octanes, Deskside Challenges, Tower Challenges, Two Fuels (both 600Mhz), a couple of 320s, several Indigos, etc.


I think I can provide the basic hardware. You might have to supply a hard drive and the software.

thegoldbug
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots

User avatar
LarBob
Donor
Donor
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:43 am
Location: Kentucky, US

Re: Hello to all!

Unread postby LarBob » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:08 pm

thegoldbug wrote:Hello there,

I am in the processing of finding a new house and will be moving in the next two months and have multiple SGIs.

Selling one of them off won't hurt the moving guys feelings.

What are you looking for:

I have two toasters, several Indys, I2s, Octanes, Deskside Challenges, Tower Challenges, Two Fuels (both 600Mhz), a couple of 320s, several Indigos, etc.


I think I can provide the basic hardware. You might have to supply a hard drive and the software.

thegoldbug

Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it! Which one would you really want to part with? I'm looking for a machine around $300. What do you think? I don't have much experience with SGI pricing to be honest. :oops:
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30

User avatar
thegoldbug
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:36 pm
Location: AZ, hot like Crematoria
Contact:

Re: Hello to all!

Unread postby thegoldbug » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:29 pm

LarBob,

I can part with any of them so it's more a matter of what you want to do. The shipping cost of these might exceed the purchase price.

There are a couple of Nekochan members on the East Coast that can probably hook you up also. This member used to have a bunch of SGI gear.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16731225

So do your homework and figure out what model you want.

thegoldbug
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots

User avatar
LarBob
Donor
Donor
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:43 am
Location: Kentucky, US

Re: Hello to all!

Unread postby LarBob » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:21 pm

thegoldbug wrote:LarBob,

I can part with any of them so it's more a matter of what you want to do. The shipping cost of these might exceed the purchase price.

There are a couple of Nekochan members on the East Coast that can probably hook you up also. This member used to have a bunch of SGI gear.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16731225

So do your homework and figure out what model you want.

thegoldbug

Thanks! :) I appreciate it. I'd probably most like to find an Octane, but I honestly don't really care as long as the machine is decently capable.
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30


Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest