Using Nekochan repository and other misc inquiry.

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Intuition

Using Nekochan repository and other misc inquiry.

Unread postby Intuition » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:24 pm

So, I finally found time to assemble my custom white cased O2 last weekend. I have video of it and will edit it and youTube it hopefully before too long.

RIght off... things I never did with my 300 MHZ o2.

1. Setting up a repository for Irix.

Wanted to test the Houdini in the Computer Graphics thread I realized I never setup even my old O2 to check for a repository. I know that Nekochan has Nekoware.
Is there a block of code here I can enter into the terminal to link to Nekoware and is there an app-get like Yum in Irix once that is setup? Want to cruise through the nekoware. Yet at the same time... I may have all the nekoware locally since Ian set the drive up. If that is the case then do I just mount locally and if so what is the commands for doing so?

2. Custom desktops.

I have changed my desktops and even the color scheme through the usual toolchest Desktop etc... what I don't see is a way to pick a custom image for a background.
Any info for that appreciated.

3. Setting time?

Currently there is a clock app. It has the minute/hour hands but I can see no way to set the time manually.

4. Generic internet/Netwrok setup.

My 300 Mhz O2 seems to take any cat 5 cable and hooks to the web no matter where I hook it up. This 400 Mhz was setup by Ian at the Depot. It works on my local setup but when I took it else where it doesn't see the web when I hook in a cat 5. Wondering if there is a generic network setup that would be able to see incoming network without having to set up specific settings each time.

5. Irix commands

I know that most of the commands I use in Linux may work in Irix. I have to set some folder permissions so I assume chmod and chown commands work in Irix similar to linux. Was wondering if there is a master list for all Irix commands somewhere. I mean usually Help or ? will bring up a list of commands. Couldn't do that in the generic console.

6. Console Terminal

Is there a preferred terminal for Irix? I seem to have stumbled on more than one. What is Bash or other terminals and their pluses compared to the console found in the toolchest menus?

I am sure I'll think of more in the coming days. Thanks.
Image O2 - R12K-300 Mhz, 36 GB HD, 384 MB-RAM
Image O2 - R12K-400 Mhz 279 GB HD, 256 MB-RAM :1600SW: 1600sw
:O200: Origin 200 ??? Specs soon
aka Casey Christopher

sillypages

Re: Using Nekochan repository and other misc inquiry.

Unread postby sillypages » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:52 pm

post deleted by moderator: defamation and slanderous language

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:23 am

No I did not get raped. LoL. Is that some kind of standard here?

Bought the system on Ebay for cheap and found a cheap 400 MHz proc separately . Ian setup the very quiet Irix SCSI drive for me since the o2 didnt have one and sold me a brand new in box 1600 SW and adapter at a very kind price compared to even ebay standards. But who cares? Yes I probably spent too much on the Acronym system in 2009. But whatevs, I had . Laugh and poke fun. All at my expense too. ;) All good fun :lol:

Meanwhile.... questions.... answers? 8-)
aka Casey Christopher

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:03 am

I'm sure someone will be along soon with answers for these, but for the others:

2) Full info for this is in the wiki. Do have a browse through it, there's a pile of useful info, tips, tricks etc. there. The page you specifically want for starters is here
3) The "date" command from a terminal will allow you to set the date/time.
4) A lot depends on whether your O2 is using DHCP or a static IP. A lot of us use static IPs as they can be a bit more reliable on IRIX machines. Check your network settings and try DHCP if you want (make a note of any existing settings first). This should allow your O2 to work on other networks without reconfiguration.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:02 am

Thanks Trippynet. I'll try these as soon as I get home. :D
aka Casey Christopher

jpstewart
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jpstewart » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:31 pm

I'll try to fill in some of the gaps Trippynet left, until somebody comes along with a more authoritative post than mine.

1) See the wiki page Nekopkg download dependencies for more info on some scripts that might do what you want. Personally, I find it works well enough to manually download what I want from Nekoware and then launch swmgr to install the packages, so I don't have any hands-on experiences with those scripts. If there are any Nekoware packages pre-installed, you'd find them under /usr/nekoware.

5) Even in bash on Linux, "help" will just give you a list of bash built-ins, not every command available. I don't know of an easy way to get a complete list of all available commands on any system. If you're at least somewhat familiar with Linux or another Unix, the Unix Rosetta Stone might help you translate to IRIX. Mainly I just rely on the man and apropos commands to find what I need.

6) Your question seems to be using confused terminology when you ask "What is Bash or other terminals and their pluses compared to the console found in the toolchest menus?" The terminal emulator on IRIX is winterm by default although xterm is also certainly available in a default install. (Plus aterm, rxvt, and maybe others are available in Nekoware.) That's basically just responsible for the window you see. Inside that, you're running the csh shell (IIRC) by default on IRIX, or maybe ksh. On Linux you're likely running bash as your shell. (In all cases 'echo $SHELL' without the quotes will tell you exactly what you're running.) You can install bash on IRIX if you're more familiar with it or want some of it's features. And you can then run it in either winterm or xterm or any other terminal emulator you like. Picking a terminal emulator is independent of the shell running inside of it, both of which are pretty much independent of the underlying operating system. (What's installed/used by default will vary, but usually others can be installed and selected.) So I'm not sure if your question about "Bash or other terminals" is about the terminal emulator program, the shell running inside of it (e.g., bash), or both. Personally I use bash in winterm on IRIX, and bash in xterm on Linux because I'm most familiar with bash. But bash isn't included by default on IRIX so I had to install it. Lots of people like zsh and/or ksh (on any Unix variant), too.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500, T5240
HP C8000

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:52 am

Thanks for the info :) 8-)

Yes I was confusing terminology. I hadn't fired up winterm yet until you mentioned it. Then I found the way to launch it vs the usual console.

Many of the Linux/Unix commands do work in Irix and I ran through the rosetta stone and will use that for further reference.

I did get swmgr fire up and it is very similar to get or yum. Though for some reason I couldn't get it to install an earlier version of Maya (4.0) last night. It has all the checkboxes but has the install greyed out. As if it sees it but there is something keeping it from letting me move forward with the install.

Just trying to fill in the knowlegde gaps overall for Irix vs my daily centOS linux.

Coming up is the task of getting the Origin 200 setup and seen with the O2 as it's controller/desktop.
aka Casey Christopher

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:43 pm

Is the installation file you have for Maya 4.0 an SGI-style tardist? If not it's probably confusing swmgr...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:52 am

It was a tar.gz so I gunzip'd it....... then it made a tar ... so I tar-xvf it.....then a bunch of folders AWdist 6.3... 6.4... 6.5 popped out.

I pointed at the awdist65 in swmgr.

Turns out it was Maya 1.0 installers

It installed. Now my maya 6.5 icon changed to the older one for some reason.

When I double click 1.0 it never starts.

6.5 still starts though.
aka Casey Christopher

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Intuition wrote:5. Irix commands

I know that most of the commands I use in Linux may work in Irix. I have to set some folder permissions so I assume chmod and chown commands work in Irix similar to linux. Was wondering if there is a master list for all Irix commands somewhere. I mean usually Help or ? will bring up a list of commands. Couldn't do that in the generic console.

Since techpubs is history our very good friend Todd Torgersen has a (hopefully permanent) list of Irix commands here:

http://csweb.cs.wfu.edu/~torgerse/Kokua/Irix_6.5.21_doc_cd/usr/share/catman/SGIindex/cat1.html
Project:
Plan:

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:12 pm

Ah Excellent. The links don't go to a breakdown of the commands but at least there is a list. :D Thank you.
aka Casey Christopher

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:58 pm

Recieved this error trying to search

Code: Select all

Intuition 5# nekopkg.sh search auto
INFO: Created work directory '/tmp/nekopkg-workdir'.
Downloading descriptions ...
curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'nekoware.miniarpa.net'
ERROR: An error occurred while downloading descriptions.
Intuition 6#
aka Casey Christopher

jpstewart
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jpstewart » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:17 am

It looks like the script is using an old, non-existent mirror. Open the script in your favourite text editor, and find the two lines that read:

# Nekoware mirror
set REPO=http://nekoware.miniarpa.net/current

Change the second one to:

set REPO=http://nekoware.dustytech.net/current

Then re-run the script.
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500, T5240
HP C8000

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:47 am

Oh, jeez, obvious answer staring at my face.

Thank you, is there a command in Irix to find available repositories etc?

Like a sources.list that would show what is available?

I'll use this entry that you have given me though anyways. Thanks. 8-)
aka Casey Christopher

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Intuition wrote:Thank you, is there a command in Irix to find available repositories etc?

Like a sources.list that would show what is available?

As far as SGI is concerned, we at nekochan are naught but a merry little ban of renegades, hence Irix knows nothing of nekoware. However, our Fearless Leader Pete keeps a fairly up-do-date list of nekoware mirrors here:

http://www.nekochan.net/what-is-nekowar.html
Project:
Plan:

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”