Linux or FreeBSD for nfs server for irix clients and tips?

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
radiance

Linux or FreeBSD for nfs server for irix clients and tips?

Unread postby radiance » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:31 am

Hi all ;),

I am considering setting up an NFS and Samba server box in my office,
and since i have 2 irix 6.5.22 machines besides several linux/mac os X/windows machines, I am curious about the compatibility of NFS of modern linux/freebsd machines and irix.
I assume I have to have the server be able to handle nfs v3 clients for irix compatibility.

The 2 irix clients are an Indy with an SGI 10/100 GIO32 NIC and an Indigo2 with Phobos G160 10/100 GIO64 NIC.

Has anyone experience with this and could maybe comment on what works best, eg linux or freebsd, and maybe any specifics to watch out for regarding irix clients and configuration...

Personally I prefer freebsd as it's more lean/mean and I love it's ports tree system ;)

Thanks, I really appreciate it ;)
Terrence

foetz

Re: Linux or FreeBSD for nfs server for irix clients and tips?

Unread postby foetz » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:11 am

as long as you're using nfs v3 you should be fine with any unix or linux including osx.

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:52 am

slightly OT: I have an older Synology DS411j running the current DSM. I can access it without any problems from all IRIX machines. Setting this up was easy as a breeze.
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!

pierocks
Donor
Donor

Unread postby pierocks » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:59 pm

I can also confrm it works fine. I even used a linux box to host the filesystem for a diskless irix workstation (after a small amount of nfs related grief).
:O2: :O2: :O2:
They are multiplying. If you can read this, send help.

devv

Unread postby devv » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:50 am

Hey,

pierocks wrote:I can also confrm it works fine. I even used a linux box to host the filesystem for a diskless irix workstation (after a small amount of nfs related grief).

How did you do that? Did you copy the file tree that you initially created under Irix using diskless tools or?

pierocks
Donor
Donor

Unread postby pierocks » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:13 pm

devv wrote:Hey,

pierocks wrote:I can also confrm it works fine. I even used a linux box to host the filesystem for a diskless irix workstation (after a small amount of nfs related grief).

How did you do that? Did you copy the file tree that you initially created under Irix using diskless tools or?

Long story short, I first set up my O2 as a diskfull system. Then, I created an NFS share on my linux box (/diskless), then mounted that on the O2. There are various flags to pass to inst, which you run twice, pointed at different subdirectories in the share, and then you create swap space (using dd on the linux machine is the fastest way). You must also set up a bootparamd instance on your linux box, which sends important information to the client. Finally, you have to set up tftp and dhcp (if you haven't already) and put an irix kernel in your tftp directory for the client to retrieve.

So, this is the readers digest version, cobbled together from the irix diskless workstation guide, as well as the inst manpages. The guide is specific to an irix server, but it gives you most of the info you need to understand the process of diskless booting, which was invaluable to making it work. That and tcpdump so I could figure out what the hell the client was asking for during boot time :-)

Anyway, I'm typing this on my phone, so that's why I didn't give you all of the info. I have notes from my work that I will use to create better documentation of the process. Maybe I can even put it in the wiki...
:O2: :O2: :O2:
They are multiplying. If you can read this, send help.

segfault

Unread postby segfault » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:07 pm

I've been using FreeBSD for almost 20 years. I work with Linux servers but have a private FreeBSD server as colocation. Both OSes will work fine but I'll give you my reasons why I would choose FreeBSD:

- a clean base system that separates locally compiled packages and the base system (makes the OS easier to backup and restore)
- FreeBSD is slim and stable. Delivers high-performance (as Linux does) but avoids of lot of package chaos that Linux systems can collect
- FreeBSD is a small community, generally helpful and the system is well documented
- FreeBSD gives you great ZFS support which may help you with your files underneath the NFS server
- Since you're looking for SMB/CIFS and NFS, you should give FreeNAS a closer look.

Hope that helps.

JohnK
Donor
Donor

Unread postby JohnK » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:11 am

Since you're looking for SMB/CIFS and NFS, you should give FreeNAS a closer look.

Funny you should mention that as I just placed an order for a Mini XL for a project at work. Can't wait to get it and start setting it all up. Never had much of a chance to use ZFS since it's hungry for RAM of which I lacked on my SPARC servers and all of my work servers use hardware RAID.
SGI: :Fuel: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Fuel:
SUN: T2000 (x2], SunBlade 1500 Red (x2), SPARCstation 5 (x2) - Nextstep/Openstep, SPARCstation IPX
Alpha: DEC AXP 3000/300LX, API CS20 (Dual 833 Mhz CPUs)
Cobalt RaQ 550

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:29 am

JohnK wrote:all of my work servers use hardware RAID.

hardware raids and zfs don't exclude each other. zfs has much more to offer than just raid features

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:51 am

foetz wrote:hardware raids and zfs don't exclude each other. zfs has much more to offer than just raid features

While you can use ZFS on top of hardware RAID, it's very much not recommended if you read up on ZFS. If it's you're only choice, well, it's your only choice, and you can minimize the potential mismatch of having two different systems wanting to control, cache, and error-check the physical devices. But I'd read up on it first. There's more detail at the links below than the short quotes I tossed in.

However, I'd be happy to hear other points of view.

OpenZFS - Hardware - Hardware RAID controllers
OpenZFS wrote:Hardware RAID controllers should not be used with ZFS.

FreeNAS - FreeNAS Worst Practices (FreeNAS uses ZFS)
FreeNAS wrote:Long story short, using hardware RAID on FreeNAS can lead to anything from corrupted writes to fatal errors that require you to invest in costly data recovery services.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:01 am

i meant solaris zfs. you can switch off checksums and all kinds of stuff with zfs. if set up right it works fine both ways.
for more info see https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26502_01/ht ... ols-4.html and https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26502_01/ht ... html#gazsd

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:44 pm

For a UNIX standard NFS does a pretty good job of working across different implementations. I dimly recall having a problem with the IRIX GUI tools not working right for me at one point, but I think that was IRIX 6.2 to some old version of Linux. In that case "mount -t nfs server:/share" worked just fine.

I've had more problems mounting an older NFS server from a newer Linux box than IRIX. That said I do prefer the BSD philosophy and worldview to Linux.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”