Trying to install IRIX on Octane, MKFS seems to crash

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Dodoid

Trying to install IRIX on Octane, MKFS seems to crash

Unread postby Dodoid » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:03 am

Hi there!

I am following the IRIX install guide at http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/IRIX_6.5.x_Install_on_Octane. As it says, when click Continue with the CD in, it spends a while loading before asking for MKFS, as the guide says it might. I select yes, as the guide says, and choose 4096 byte blocks because my drive is 74GB, larger than 4. It seems to start, but then says the following:

Code: Select all

Trying ag
Trying again to mount /dev/dsk/realroot on /root

UX:make: INFO: 'scsi' is up to date.

The "Trying ag" is not a mistake, that appears on the screen exactly as typed.

It sits here seemingly forever, with the drive making no noise. Holding the power button does not shut the machine down as usual, so it's safe to assume it's crashed. Do I need to burn the disc again? Is there something wrong with my drive/controller?

EDIT: OK, I have tried rebooting a few times before but this time it gets to the Inst> prompt. Will keep trying.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

computron

Re: Trying to install IRIX on Octane, MKFS seems to crash

Unread postby computron » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:58 am

try with another HD....

Eve

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:43 am

how did you partition it with fx?

computron

Unread postby computron » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:55 am

how did you partition it with fx?

i have omit to explore this (good)idea

Eve

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:52 am

Are you sure it's mkfs?

I've noticed from time to time that if you 'fx' a disk and basically recreate the same layout (defaults, anybody?), then the miniroot (or mkfs?) seems to find enough remnants of old data that it either doesn't run mkfs, or mkfs aborts or something, but then of course there nothing on disk to mount as a rootfs so the installation goes nowhere.

That's why I always erase (not format!) the disk with fx (write > sequential > select entire disk range). If this gives you I/O errors it's time to bin the disk. Better to have some confidence in a disk *before* you do the install. Then create partitions and run the installation.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:57 am

jan-jaap wrote:Are you sure it's mkfs?

I've noticed from time to time that if you 'fx' a disk and basically recreate the same layout (defaults, anybody?), then the miniroot (or mkfs?) seems to find enough remnants of old data that it either doesn't run mkfs, or mkfs aborts or something

that's why mkfs should be done manually instead of trusting miniroot. that way there's also no need for an fx disk erase and wait for days or so (unless you want a surface scan on purpose)

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:28 pm

foetz wrote:
jan-jaap wrote:I've noticed from time to time that if you 'fx' a disk and basically recreate the same layout (defaults, anybody?), then the miniroot (or mkfs?) seems to find enough remnants of old data that it either doesn't run mkfs, or mkfs aborts or something

that's why mkfs should be done manually instead of trusting miniroot. that way there's also no need for an fx disk erase and wait for days or so (unless you want a surface scan on purpose)

Yep. If you want to be sure that there are no past mini-roots, partition the drive as an Option drive, use mkfs to lay down a filesystem, and then go back and repartition and mkfs as desired.

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:11 pm

josehill wrote:
foetz wrote:
jan-jaap wrote:I've noticed from time to time that if you 'fx' a disk and basically recreate the same layout (defaults, anybody?), then the miniroot (or mkfs?) seems to find enough remnants of old data that it either doesn't run mkfs, or mkfs aborts or something

Yep. If you want to be sure that there are no past mini-roots, partition the drive as an Option drive, use mkfs to lay down a filesystem, and then go back and repartition and mkfs as desired.

Sorry not to tell people this, but after it decided to work I managed to install normally. Thanks!
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”