Can't Connect to Internet on O2

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jmcollier

Can't Connect to Internet on O2

Unread postby jmcollier » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:27 pm

So I'm fairly new to my O2 / Irix and I'm having some trouble connecting to the internet. I know a decent way around Unix systems, but not enough to manually set up Internet. I used the "Set Up and Start Networking" tool in the System Manager to set up the connection, using DHCP. I also made sure to add my two DNS servers using "Modify Networking Settings".

I then followed this guide http://software.majix.org/irix/network-setup.shtml to make sure everything was set correctly, I wasn't sure what to put for "Setting the default route", so I put the IP of my router, which is 192.168.2.1. I was able to ping other devices on my network, but I'm unable to connect to anything outside of my home network. Here's what I get when I startup.

Code: Select all

Configuring ec0 as IRIS
Network daemons: portmap.
Name services: nsd.
NFS Daemons: nfsd biod.
Other NFS daemons: statd lockd autofsd.
Internet daemons: inetd.
IP Addresss Configuration:
   Starting DHCP client on Primary interface ec0
No Gateways defined.
No DNS server defined.
No NIS servers defined.

It's says no dns server defined, but I quite clearly defined the two dns servers for my internet in /etc/resolv.conf. Could I be missing something else that I need to do?

foetz

Re: Can't Connect to Internet on O2

Unread postby foetz » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:31 pm

don't use dhcp

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:52 am

I'll disagree a bit here with foetz, DHCP is fine, if your DHCP server is setup correctly, and you clear the existing stuff. Saying that, I've had many instances where it has forgot to set up the gateway.

The link you posted is a good one, and the one I use as a reference.

/etc/resolv.conf - Sets the DNS servers
/etc/config/static-route.options - Sets the default gateway
/etc/hosts - sets your IP address (do not touch your 127.0.0.1 entry).
/etc/sys_id - Sets the system name (must match your /etc/hosts entry name)
/etc/nsswitch.conf - sets the resolution order (DNS, FILES, NIS).

I don't think I have missed anything.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:17 am

You probably need to add a "hostresorder" directive to your /etc/resolv.conf file. It would look something like this:

Code: Select all

hostresorder files dns

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:50 am

IRIX DHCP doesn't by default request a default route because it uses dynamic routing using 'routed'. On the average domestic network that means you don't have a default route because nobody is answering RIP requests.

So either you need to have a RIP service on your router, *or* you need to make the IRIX system request a static route from the DHCP server *or* you set it by hand as uunix suggested.

Or you set up a static IP configuration as Foetz suggested ;)
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:23 pm

uunix wrote:I'll disagree a bit here with foetz, DHCP is fine, if your DHCP server is setup correctly, and you clear the existing stuff.

okay maybe my reply was a bit very short :P

dhcp is good for large networks that have a fair share of casual and/or temporary users. at home however (assuming you're running your o2 at home) dhcp makes little sense. even worse, you're giving away control for no reason and voluntarily increase the number of potential problems ... as we've seen here just now and many times before as well.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:39 pm

foetz wrote:
uunix wrote:I'll disagree a bit here with foetz, DHCP is fine, if your DHCP server is setup correctly, and you clear the existing stuff.

okay maybe my reply was a bit very short :P

dhcp is good for large networks that have a fair share of casual and/or temporary users. at home however (assuming you're running your o2 at home) dhcp makes little sense. even worse, you're giving away control for no reason and voluntarily increase the number of potential problems ... as we've seen here just now and many times before as well.

I'll agree with that. A lot of the time I use DHCP with reservations on mac addresses, so I can control changes easily yet retain the address.

We have some small clients that think they can have a router with no internal DNS and run IP/Name services on a so called server (read 'a PC') and they call up saying the client cannot connect to the database etc.. oh low and behold the TTL has run out someone has taken that address and now you expect us to change 10 or so clients to repoint.. STOP USING DHCP on that machine!!!

As another story (un-related to this thread)
We've also had this week a client catch one of those encryption - virus things.. Found they were backing up the wrong things and no shadow copies enabled on a Windows server.. And their IT company blamed us!!! They have lost 8 years of legal documentation. We supply them plenty of documented advice.. do they read it? PAH!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”