New O2 owner trying get to install development system

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
azd

New O2 owner trying get to install development system

Unread postby azd » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:01 pm

Hi, I have a 'new' to me O2 that was donated... it came with no RAM ,no disks and a not working Cdrom. I found on ebay 256mb of ram on and a boot disk (with sled) for Irix 6.5 that also came with 2 cds labelled 6.5 Development Foundation and 6.5 Development Libraries. The Cdrom was an easy fix from the wiki - the plastic gear had fallen off! Memory and HD are installed and the system happily boots and uname -R reports 6.5 6.5.21f.

So far so good. I popped in the development foundation cd, sw manager started and everything installed fine.

I then put in the development libraries cd.... and I get a whole bunch of conflicts stating packages I am trying to install are incompatible with eoe.sw.base. if it helps sw Mgr lists it as development system 7.2.1

I'm obviously missing something but I can't figure out if it's a base os problem or development system problem. I sort of figured out that I need some overlay Cds and maybe patches. Can someone point out what I'm missing? Apart from this I'm enjoying the O2! I used to program way way back on a Personal Iris and this brings back memories...

Thanks
Alex

robespierre

Re: New O2 owner trying get to install development system

Unread postby robespierre » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:39 pm

In general you don't know what you're getting when you buy a disk that someone else has installed Irix on. There is a tool (versions) that will tell you what is installed, but even that isn't completely foolproof.

The Development Foundation and Development Libraries discs were issued once, with 6.5.0. The expectation was that you would install from a whole set of CDs simultaneously, not one at a time as you appear to have done. That set would include the Irix base (Foundation 1 and 2, Development Foundation, Development Libraries, Documentation, Applications, Demos, NFS) plus the overlay version that you wanted. The installation tools put all of that together and distill a consistent system out of it, giving you instructions to insert each disc until it finishes. If you don't open every single disc into the installer before clicking go it doesn't work.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

azd

Unread postby azd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks for the explanation...

So if i'm understanding this correctly, the foundation is really a base and the overlay's are updates. Based on the above I plan on doing a fresh install on a spare hard drive.

I took this list straight out of the Editions and CD sets Wiki page, and I've put together (all june 1998 releases)
Installation Tools. Foundation 1, 2, Dev Foundation, Dev Libraries. Base Docs, Applications and ONC/NFS (from 05/99) plus the 3 overlay CD's for 6.5.22

I'm assuming this is enough to set up a basic 6.5.22 development workstation from scratch. Can I also use these CD's to 'fix' my original problem of being unable to install the Dev Libraries?

As you can see I'm pretty new at this SGI software install stuff.

thanks
alex

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:32 pm

I think the problem you ran into is that Development Foundation and Development Libraries are part of the base 6.5 set. So they expect a 6.5 eoe version (eoe is kind of the "core unix" package). You have a later version (6.5.21f), so installing the older package on top of that creates a conflict. I think you can install those incrementally, by opening Development Foundation, Development Libraries, and then the 6.5.21 or 6.5.22 overlay. The overlay should make sure the dev stuff is updated to a compatible version.
It's also worth pointing out that the packages that are selected to be installed when you run swmgr are just defaults. It does not install everything that is available or compatible with your system unless you tell it to "install *" or whatever the command is in swmgr.

When you install 6.5.22, you use the 6.5.22 installation tools, not the base 6.5 one. It is required for certain hardware and supports newer filesystem versions. The 6.5 installation tools, on the other hand, will not be able to use the 6.5.22 overlay without being patched, so just put it aside.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”