Octane booting to console - any way to reset?

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
SiliconClassics

Octane booting to console - any way to reset?

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:22 am

I've got an Octane2 that refuses to give any kind of graphical output at bootup. It's probably set to boot to a console, but my null modem cable is buried under a dozen boxes in storage and I'd rather not have to dig it out just to telnet into the system.

Is there any easy way to reset the system's NVRAM so that it boots to a graphical display? Will removing the battery from the frontplane do the trick?
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

dexter1

Re: Octane booting to console - any way to reset?

Unread postby dexter1 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:59 am

Did you try typing blindly "5" followed by "setenv console g" followed by "init" ?
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:07 am

There isn't a battery on the frontplane, you probably saw the Dallas number-in-a-can which stores the nodeid/mac address. Besides being non-volatile, it's not related to what you want.

The nvram/prom variables are stored in a Dallas timekeeper ramified clock chip on the main board. The memory and battery are a single unit, you can't simply remove it to reset.

During start does the monitor come up at all? if not, time to dig out the null-modem. If you can login (telnet even) you can use the nvram command from IRIX to view and set prom variables and check that console=g, console=d means serial. Check the man page for usage. `nvram|grep console` will get you a look at the variable. If you don't have keyboard and mouse devices attached the keyboard fault will force the octane into using a serial console regardless.

If during start you see the stop for maintenance dialog you can click that or press Esc and use the PROM Command Monitor and resetenv, or just use getenv/setenv to adjust the console setting.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am

dexter1 wrote:Did you try typing blindly "5" followed by "setenv console g" followed by "init" ?

Don't forget ESC first to bring that menu up. and get the timing correct.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:47 pm

SiliconClassics wrote:I've got an Octane2 that refuses to give any kind of graphical output at bootup. It's probably set to boot to a console, but my null modem cable is buried under a dozen boxes in storage and I'd rather not have to dig it out just to telnet into the system.
You didn't mention if this system is new to you or one where the graphics are known to be good.

If it's new to you (and you haven't already been-there, done-that), it might be worth pulling the front skin and check the IO/Heart/XIO status LEDs to see if there might be an issue with the graphics board or its connection with the front plane.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:46 am

So it turns out that the reason the Octane was not providing any video output was that the 13w3-VGA cable is bad.

Yep.

Just tried it with a few Indys and another monitor and none of them displayed anything.

I'm gonna take up bird watching.
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:15 am

SiliconClassics wrote:I'm gonna take up bird watching.

:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:39 pm

This is not birdwatching. This is a bird watching.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”