looking for Training materials for old software

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
MrBill

looking for Training materials for old software

Unread postby MrBill » Tue May 31, 2016 8:38 pm

I bought a heap of software along with my tezro's a while back. I have not gotten them up and running yet, but i have been looking around in the software i picked up on my octane2. software of interest is maya (version 4,5, or 6) power animator, softimage |3d and 3ds max. All of the software came with books, which is much better than having nothing, but seeing the software in use in a tutorial would be a big help.

I am curious if there is any specific good set of tutorials or some good dvd tutorials i can look up by isbn or by a specific name. Just looking around im turning up only recent tutorial information for maya.

I am not sure if i will be able do ever do anything productive with the software, but some good video on how to use the older software would be helpful.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

robespierre

Re: looking for Training materials for old software

Unread postby robespierre » Tue May 31, 2016 9:59 pm

A lot of those packages are of such an age that the tutorials would be on videotape.
But some kind souls have digitized them.
Here's a Softimage tutorial:

Alias Sketch:

You can find a lot of tutorials online for Autodesk Alias, which is a descendent of Alias StudioTools, which itself was a descendent of Alias Animator/PowerAnimator.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:13 am

Excellent thanks. I did not think to look on vhs.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:32 am

You can still get the complete set of the official Alias training softcovers for Maya 6 at amazon, just do a search for Alias Maya 6... :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

silicium

Unread postby silicium » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:43 am

robespierre wrote:You can find a lot of tutorials online for Autodesk Alias, which is a descendent of Alias StudioTools

StudioTools 11 runs on my Indigo 2, but I am stuck at the bottom of some steep learning curves for workflow, features, and user interface. Are more recent tutorials still usable if they are based on version 13 and above after Autodesk acquisition, is the GUI not too different ? I need materials with IRIX screenshots for total beginners.
:Indigo2IMP:extreme :Octane2:V8 :O200: :Onyx2:IR2e

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:37 am

silicium wrote:StudioTools 11 runs on my Indigo 2, but I am stuck at the bottom of some steep learning curves for workflow, features, and user interface. Are more recent tutorials still usable if they are based on version 13 and above after Autodesk acquisition, is the GUI not too different ? I need materials with IRIX screenshots for total beginners.

alias 10 and higher pretty much sucks on irix because after that they started to make everything windows-friendly. the gui was much slower and all the features of the entertainment branch (animator, poweranimator etc.) were removed which included all polygon related functionality.
for that reason and because these late irix versions came out quite at the end of irix' lifetime there's not much irix specific stuff available other than the program itself.

what you would need is one of the tutorial books called "learning alias" that shipped with earlier alias versions. however because of the reasons mentioned above a lot of the stuff in there wouldn't work with your v11

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:44 am

foetz wrote:
silicium wrote:StudioTools 11 runs on my Indigo 2, but I am stuck at the bottom of some steep learning curves for workflow, features, and user interface. Are more recent tutorials still usable if they are based on version 13 and above after Autodesk acquisition, is the GUI not too different ? I need materials with IRIX screenshots for total beginners.

alias 10 and higher pretty much sucks on irix because after that they started to make everything windows-friendly. the gui was much slower and all the features of the entertainment branch (animator, poweranimator etc.) were removed which included all polygon related functionality.
for that reason and because these late irix versions came out quite at the end of irix' lifetime there's not much irix specific stuff available other than the program itself.

what you would need is one of the tutorial books called "learning alias" that shipped with earlier alias versions. however because of the reasons mentioned above a lot of the stuff in there wouldn't work with your v11

Concur with foetz; you'd have a much better (and more productive) experience running Maya on your Octane... :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:29 am

vishnu wrote:Concur with foetz; you'd have a much better (and more productive) experience running Maya on your Octane... :mrgreen:

oh i actually meant using an older alias version instead. not maya :P

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”