Introducing myself - although I don't have any SGI machines yet

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Re: Introducing myself - although I don't have any SGI machines yet

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue May 10, 2016 12:50 pm

jan-jaap wrote:I've got an HP Z600 with dual X5660 Xeons [...] I'd be surprised if that didn't beat his PC times considerably

OK, I understand now why Ian went with the OC'ed quad core -- Blender 2.44 is limited to 8 render threads so the only way beyond that is to increase the CPU clock. I installed Blender 2.77 on the Z600 running Windows and it rendered the test in ~ 6.1 seconds (using the CPUs, not the GPU). Apples & oranges and all that, so YMMV.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:21 am

I switched fully to using SGI gear a year ago. My main system for day-to-day tasks.

At first, I used a Tezro. To me, this seemed the ultimate in performance and daily-use however because they are rare and expensive.. I stopped using it. That and it does not seem to like hot environments as it gets in the summer here.

Then I used a 300mhz O2 with a quieter fan. It ran well even in a hot room with relatively lower electric consumption, but using rdesktop to other servers seemed to be choppy with the video. I needed rdesktop to be able to access MS Office, Skype, and as a Cisco VPN client for my work (no way around that). Plus, the O2's max resolution is subpar.. 1440x900 in my efforts. I really need 1920x1200 to work effectively in my trade. Dual Monitors are rare to get with an O2 as well.

So, I went to a 300mhz Octane.. later upgraded to 400mhz (didnt really notice a difference from 300-400 though) with dual Vpro video boards that give me dual screen with high resolution across 27" LCD monitors. I do everything on it. Except MS Office, and when I need to do some financial website browsing or ebay to buy more SGI gear.

For 'windows' accessibility that looks 'somewhat' native to IRIX I use an Intel ComputeStick (99$) that is a full featured PC smaller than a PC mouse powered by USB (draws just 5 volts). I just dangle it on the back of the Octane and that is my 'Windows apps' device as well as a way to get USB access for things like photos from a camera. Using Windows Server 2003 on the ComputeSitck (in a VirtualBox VM, etc..), you can utilize SeamlessRDP to launch applications in their own window versus a full desktop session. With rdesktop/RDP, your user home directory on IRIX can be directly accessible to the windows application your using. So all the IRIX apps (and GNU apps) are at my fingertips as well as an integrated Windows application environment too. (You could power the ComputeStick from inside a system from a molex power cable too.. then stuff the ComputeStick inside. Sort of like a modern SUNPCi card from SUN Microsystems that allowed for Windows integration on the Solaris desktop).

Hopefully my experience can help you ;) If you plan to use the system daily, I do suggest an Octane. Octane2 if you can find one.

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Thu May 12, 2016 8:10 am

necron2600 wrote:I switched fully to using SGI gear a year ago. My main system for day-to-day tasks.

At first, I used a Tezro. To me, this seemed the ultimate in performance and daily-use however because they are rare and expensive.. I stopped using it. That and it does not seem to like hot environments as it gets in the summer here.

Then I used a 300mhz O2 with a quieter fan. It ran well even in a hot room with relatively lower electric consumption, but using rdesktop to other servers seemed to be choppy with the video. I needed rdesktop to be able to access MS Office, Skype, and as a Cisco VPN client for my work (no way around that). Plus, the O2's max resolution is subpar.. 1440x900 in my efforts. I really need 1920x1200 to work effectively in my trade. Dual Monitors are rare to get with an O2 as well.

So, I went to a 300mhz Octane.. later upgraded to 400mhz (didnt really notice a difference from 300-400 though) with dual Vpro video boards that give me dual screen with high resolution across 27" LCD monitors. I do everything on it. Except MS Office, and when I need to do some financial website browsing or ebay to buy more SGI gear.

For 'windows' accessibility that looks 'somewhat' native to IRIX I use an Intel ComputeStick (99$) that is a full featured PC smaller than a PC mouse powered by USB (draws just 5 volts). I just dangle it on the back of the Octane and that is my 'Windows apps' device as well as a way to get USB access for things like photos from a camera. Using Windows Server 2003 on the ComputeSitck (in a VirtualBox VM, etc..), you can utilize SeamlessRDP to launch applications in their own window versus a full desktop session. With rdesktop/RDP, your user home directory on IRIX can be directly accessible to the windows application your using. So all the IRIX apps (and GNU apps) are at my fingertips as well as an integrated Windows application environment too. (You could power the ComputeStick from inside a system from a molex power cable too.. then stuff the ComputeStick inside. Sort of like a modern SUNPCi card from SUN Microsystems that allowed for Windows integration on the Solaris desktop).

Hopefully my experience can help you ;) If you plan to use the system daily, I do suggest an Octane. Octane2 if you can find one.

Wow, that's very inspiring!
That's more or less the goal I had when I decided to go for the IntelliStation on AIX. But I underestimated the challenge of getting the software running. Package conflicts are driving me insane.

I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter license, courtesy of a friend with good connections, and I run it in a Microserver (LOL), and one of the VMs I set up as a "workstation", and I could use it to run Windows stuff that I rarely need. I keep a Mac Mini with the latest Mac OS X and that is also used sometimes to run things, or when I want to have something running for a long time since it sips electricity.

How loud is the Octane? I've been considering one. Tezros are expensive (as we already discussed), and I bet they are louder than my IntelliStation (the limit of volume of something I'd have next to my head throughout the day). Sometimes I wear earplugs to work, looking into buying noise cancelling headphones.
ImageImage

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:40 pm

In my experience the Octane2 is very slightly more muffled than the original Octane. The Tezro seemed quieter but more fans spinning at faster rates so the sound can be higher pitched. In a hot room, I couldn't take the Tezro's higher pitch (a cold room it seemed quieter than the Octane). The Octane is a lower pitched constant hum that can be drowned out with some music. It is loud, but not really that bad. I have skype conversations with it running in the same room and its not an issue. My Octane is about 2 feet from my head.. and it sits on top of the desk proudly. Either I have lost enough hearing by now that I am not bothered with the Octane noise, or it is not too bad (its not an iMac though.. its going to be very loud compared to a near silent iMac). Its a loud desktop, but a quiet server.

Also.. i did buy some Fujitsu MAW3300NC scsi drives.. dramatically quieter than other SCSI drives you may find in an Octane. Crunching noises, or the old SCSI whine, etc.. are gone when using these drives.

FYI, there are 30' long 13w3 video cables on ebay every now and then.. plus the Octane works with some wireless keyboards/mice (mine is a wireless USB mouse with a USB-to-PS2 adapter that works fine). You could put the Octane 30 feet away then ;) Never tried that though.. unknown on how the video quality could drop.

Package conflicts.. hmm. Nekoware packages are very good, but there are about 10% of them that need some manual fiddling to get working mainly due to different python version or an older library needed, etc.. . Nekoware does deliver a very stable environment for development and regular use... but may not be the latest versions though. It took me a long time to get everything setup and working cleanly.. then i just keep good backups and mirrored disks around now.

Last thing.. Web browsing is not very good on an Octane (my opinion). However, I use the Dillo web browser daily (and wget/curl and some lynx) and quite happy with it. Mainly google searching, reading, etc. but any heavy webpages (your bank's webpage, or purchasing things on Amazon or Ebay) really requires an RDP session.

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Thu May 12, 2016 5:25 pm

I didn't think of using a Compute Stick, but that's a very clever idea.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Fri May 13, 2016 1:58 am

Has anyone tried re-fanning an Octane to make it quieter?

I've ended up doing this with most of my SGIs. My O2 was almost silent by the time I'd finished, my Indigo2 makes a low but perfectly acceptable hum, and my Fuel is again whisper quiet.

Of course, I do live in a cold country, so can better get away with slower fans...
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Fri May 13, 2016 2:43 am

I reckon, my Fuel is as loud as my 2007 Mac Mini (very acceptable) and my Super Octane (including VBOB switched on) is as loud as my Dyson upright. My non-challenged Octane is possibly as loud as two Fuels (but again acceptable). Possibly an over exaggeration with the Dyson.. maybe a Milie instead.

My IBM 285 Power[5] is the quietest, and I'm sure I've mentioned before that I have had to check the display status to see it's turned on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri May 13, 2016 3:24 am

Trippynet wrote:Has anyone tried re-fanning an Octane to make it quieter?

i did and used the fans recommended in some other thread here. the psu fan didn't last long, fried my psu and almost dragged the rest of the machine with it as well. i was lucky to be there when it happened.
if you want something silent get a laptop. workstations have other priorities.

Jack Luminous
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Jack Luminous » Fri May 13, 2016 7:21 am

necron2600 wrote:FYI, there are 30' long 13w3 video cables on ebay every now and then.. plus the Octane works with some wireless keyboards/mice (mine is a wireless USB mouse with a USB-to-PS2 adapter that works fine). You could put the Octane 30 feet away then ;) Never tried that though.. unknown on how the video quality could drop.

I'm using a 45' 13W3 cable to go from the Octane2 in the basement to the 24'' Sony in the living room. Video quality is perfect. No noise, no colour problem, everything very clear and sharp.
:Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :O2:

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Fri May 13, 2016 9:00 am

uunix wrote:My IBM 285 Power[5] is the quietest, and I'm sure I've mentioned before that I have had to check the display status to see it's turned on.

My 285 is quiet, but I definitely know it's on. It's a bit louder than the G5 Quad, but less annoying. There's some interference between the sound of the fans, the pump and the graphics card that makes it very annoying at times.

On the other hand, I've never managed to get the 285 fans revving up, even benchmarking. The G5 gets SUPER loud under load (rendering, benchmarking).

BTW, first post from the 285, hooray!
ImageImage

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Fri May 13, 2016 9:13 am

foetz wrote:i did and used the fans recommended in some other thread here. the psu fan didn't last long, fried my psu and almost dragged the rest of the machine with it as well. i was lucky to be there when it happened.
if you want something silent get a laptop. workstations have other priorities.

I suppose it depends what you replace them with. Any fan can die (including the original SGI fans), so maybe you were unlucky. I deliberately tried to pick ones that still shift a hefty volume of air from brands I've used before without problems. It's also possible to use different fans in different areas. For example, modern HDDs generate a lot less heat than earlier ones, hence I put slower/quieter ones in the disk cage of my Fuel (drives only ever get moderately warm anyway), but put a much more powerful one in the PSU.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Sat May 21, 2016 10:02 am

Trippynet wrote:Has anyone tried re-fanning an Octane to make it quieter?

I've ended up doing this with most of my SGIs. My O2 was almost silent by the time I'd finished, my Indigo2 makes a low but perfectly acceptable hum, and my Fuel is again whisper quiet.

Of course, I do live in a cold country, so can better get away with slower fans...

I thought about it. But I have no idea what fans would be suitable as a replacement. I need facts from people who know. I don't want to wreck anything. A year after the O2 fan mod it's still working, though sometimes it gets a bit hotter than I would like it to be.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”