Tezro time

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
MrBill

Re: Tezro time

Unread postby MrBill » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:46 pm

I managed to get the other Tezro to power up from the serial console. Looks to be having some memory issues with dimm1, but gets past that particular issue and i can boot into sash and FX to format the disk. Same exact issue as the other one.hangs when I go to install. I have to be doing something wrong. Not sure what though.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Crimson:

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:56 am

I just read that 6.5.15 was the minimum for Tezro - but it did have a question mark next to it. I noticed Fuel support is 6.5.17. I looked through some release notes, but I didn't see another source for Tezro minimum IRIX version. Any chance you have anything newer? Maybe network install 6.5.30? Or any CDs newer than 6.5.15?

I think I saw something like this before. Oh, here we go - I knew this sounded failure: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16720211&p=7293620&#p7293620

So if you're installing from a serial terminal you need to set the console prom variable to d (for serial), `setenv console d` in the prom monitor.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:37 am

Yep, already set the console prom variable.

Alright, so next thing to do would be to look for newer install media. I thought i was past this issue. The current ones were difficult to find.

Are the foundations the same between all versions, or do i need a whole new set of disks matching the version I am installing?
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Crimson:

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:44 am

Foundations are always the same - There are different versions of Applications and the Overlays.

I hate to disagree, but I don't think you'd see failed diagnostics on kbd/mouse like i see in the output on the previous page if your console is set to d. Worth giving it a printenv to verify.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:59 pm

Strange. the console setting got set back to g somehow.
anyhow. I get a little further along this time. same behavior on both machines, after setting console=d that is.

This is what is on screen after i tell it to boot from the CD.

Code: Select all

System Maintenance Menu

1) Start System
2) Install System Software
3) Run Diagnostics
4) Recover System
5) Enter Command Monitor

Option? 2

Installing System Software...

Press <Esc> to return to the menu.

1) Remote Directory  2)[Local CD-ROM]
      *a) Local SCSI CD-ROM drive 0, on controller 2

Enter 1-2 to select source type, a to select the source, <esc> to quit,
or <enter> to start:

Insert the installation CD-ROM, then press <enter>:

Copying installation program to disk.
......... 10% ......... 20% ......... 30% ......... 40% ......... 50%
......... 60% ......... 70% ......... 80% ......... 90% ......... 100%

Copy complete
WARNING: rtodc: preposterous time in tod chip: 15:77:32 2023/12/43
  CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
IRIX Release 6.5 IP35 Version 01091820 System V - 64 Bit
Copyright 1987-2002 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

QLFC: running as interrupt thread.
QLFC: using spinlocks.
ip27log: setup failed: Illegal position
PANIC: CPU 3: Unknown Widget Part Number 0xd100 Widgt ID 0xc attached to Hub /hw/module/001c01/node
Reboot started from CPU 3
CPU 3 rebooting
CPU 0 rebooting
CPU 2 rebooting
CPU 1 rebooting
Restarting the machine...
Starting PROM Boot process

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:54 pm

I see bad time...the same battery that keeps the clock running stores the NVRAM variables. It's a yellow box on top of a black surface mount device on the IO9 PCI board. There's another DALLAS clock chip with battery in there for the L1 controller. Having one of those go adds to your fun - the system loses the serial number and I think you might need a L2 controller to recover from that.

Anyway ST Micro makes this battery, there's a higher capacity version if you want. I just bought the normal capacity one the other day myself. Part number is M4T28-BR12SH1. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STM ... 28-BR12SH1

I wouldn't expect it to refuse to install with the bad TOD battery though so I would continue sorting that out first.

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:04 pm

The ip27log messages seem strange to me since this is an IP35/IP53 machine. IP27 would be Origin 2000/Onyx2/Origin 200/Octane type machines.

The unknown widget message just screams unsupported hardware. Back to finding a newer install set.

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Mon May 02, 2016 11:42 am

I found some images of 6.5.30. CD sets on ebay seem a bit expensive, i just dropped a bunch on the tezro's, not quite ready to spend so much on some more cd's just yet. Good to know the foundations are all the same, those are a couple of the disks I did manage to buy.Not sure what format these images are in exactly. Titled Overlays1.image. Can's seem to burn it to an iso, but looks to be what i need, i Will post back to see if I can get it working. If not, I will have to hold off till I can afford a more recent set of Cd's.

devv

Unread postby devv » Mon May 02, 2016 1:36 pm

Hey MrBill, the CD-Rom images are EFS images.

You can read here on how to mount them: http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/Mounting_I ... IX_Systems.
(Basically on a Linux machine you need just mount -o loop -t efs.)

In general, you can also write those to a CD with no issue (wodim -vv -eject Overlays1.image), there are no problems around that.
The only issue is if you want to mount an actual CD-Rom on a non-IRIX system. (The chances are the CD-Rom device won't support a 512B blocksize, so in that case you need to 'dd' an image to disk first, and then mount it from there (as explained on the above URL)).

Cya,
Dev
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:12 pm

Alright, I have made quite a bit of progress with the tezro. I managed to get a fresh install working. The install media that I was using was too old and incompatible with the tezro. I am still having the flickering monitor issue. in the initial prom screens it is fine, but during the whole boot process the screen is blank, and once at the login screen , you can see the image but it flickers like crazy. i tried 'setenv -p monitor h' and it does not seem to make any difference. Perhaps it is time i get some new monitors. The dell monitors i have here have usually been my go to monitors for sgi gear, they have worked great for me on everything but the tezro. I am open to any other suggestions, other than that, if someone can recommend a known working monitor known to work with a tezro, ill pick one of them up, and hope that the monitor is the issue.

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:07 pm

MrBill wrote:I am still having the flickering monitor issue. in the initial prom screens it is fine, but during the whole boot process the screen is blank, and once at the login screen , you can see the image but it flickers like crazy. The dell monitors i have here have usually been my go to monitors for sgi gear, they have worked great for me on everything but the tezro.

Might be helpful to know a little more about the set up you have now.

Which Dell monitor do you have connected, and how is it connected to the Tezro (DVI or VGA).

What resolution/refresh rate does setmon (or xsetmon) indicate is loaded? The specific name of the display format loaded would be helpful (e.g. "1600x1200_60", or "2@1280x1024_60").

If you'd like, post the output of

Code: Select all

/usr/gfx/gfxinfo -v

Does your Tezro have the Dual Channel Display option (three DVI ports)? Having a 2@ display format loaded with a single monitor attached to one of the DVI ports on the DCD would cause flickering.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:21 pm

I think the 4:3 20" LCD (1600x1200) is a good size for these, out of the box formats work. 24" 16:9 24" would be good too and should work out of the box, you have to be careful to get an actual 1920x1200 and not those 1920x1080 that are easy to make because TVs. I see Dell's at the recycler for cheap, especially 20" 4:3 so if you have a place that gets corporate recycling you might check them out - I'm talking $40-50 cheap. Connect with DVI and it should be stable.

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:25 pm

Shoot. I must have set the resolution incorrectly or to an incompatible mode while i could still see on the flickering screen. Now im just getting an out of range error and can not change any more things. Can the resolution be perhaps set from a serial console?

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:43 pm

MrBill wrote:Can the resolution be perhaps set from a serial console?

Sure. You can use setmon at a command line to reset the display: /usr/gfx/setmon -x 1280x1024_60 followed by a reboot will reset the display to 1280x1024@60Hz.

On the (very) odd chance that your monitor won't display 1280x1024 (since we're here, I'll repeat the request for potentially helpful background info one more time).... you can check inside /usr/gfx/ucode/ODSY/vof to see if there's anything that looks like it might be a better fit. If so, replace the 1280x1024_60 portion of the command with the exact name of your chosen format. Just be aware there is a downside to loading display formats blind (e.g. with setmon from the command line).

If you're using a properly wired display cable (and are able to load graphics), the desktop version of setmon (xsetmon), will exclude display formats from the list it presents if it doesn't consider compatible with the attached monitor. xsetmon's process of exclusion is *far* from perfect, but it can help steer you away from what the format description might imply are reasonable selections, and save you some trial-n-error load/reload effort.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:09 pm

Wow. Amazing time capsule of hardware and software.

I learned 3D on Crystal Topas back in 94-95 then on to Lightwave before ending up in the Softimage/Maya world.

That Crystal Topas is probably PC right? Unless they made an Irix version I wasn't aware of.

:D
Image O2 - R12K-300 Mhz, 36 GB HD, 384 MB-RAM
Image O2 - R12K-400 Mhz 279 GB HD, 256 MB-RAM :1600SW: 1600sw
:O200: Origin 200 ??? Specs soon
aka Casey Christopher

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”