Tezro time

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
MrBill

Re: Tezro time

Unread postby MrBill » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:37 pm

Alright. I must be doing something wrong. I put my irix overlays and install tools disk 1 into the drive. Told it to boot from the cd from the main prom menu. Loading bar comes up, I can see the drive being accessed, but after the loading bar fills i am dumped to a black screen.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Crimson:

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:32 pm

That sounds like your monitor does not like the resolution change.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

Vladio
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Vladio » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:00 am

Holy mother-load! This thread's like a time machine!
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:13 am

That sounds like your monitor does not like the resolution change.

I am not sure if that is the issue. I have not had such issues with these dell monitors before. They are quite capable, and work with my octanes just fine at pretty high resolutions.

I will try a couple different monitors, but these dell ones are the reliable ones I usually end up using.

It defeats the whole purpose of the fancy pants workstation, but is it possible to do a headless install of irix from the serial console? I have the vt100 sitting right next to the thing, it would not take much to hook up, i am trying to see if it is an issue with the monitor from this point.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Crimson:

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:36 am

Bear in mind that it's not just the resolution, but also the refresh rate which may be the issue. Most TFTs don't like more than about 60-72Hz, whereas the high-end CRTs back in SGI days would happily do 85-100Hz. Changing the res/refresh rate shouldn't be too hard from the console. I confess I don't know the exact command, and am about 600 miles away from my house right now, so difficult to check. I'm sure someone else can help though with the right commands.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Code: Select all

nvram monitor h

This holds the monitor resolution across the board so I believe. It is only set on one of three machines I have remotely, and that's an o2 with a TFT attached and the other two have CRTs. Here at home my FUEL doesn't have this set, but it's a V10, nor does either of my Octane2s, V12 & V10. I haven't turned on the two INDYs I have here to check, but they are headless.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Alright, ill give that command a try when i get home and see if that works. This has been slow going. Im kinda anxious to mess around with all the software that I got. I spent all the time to go pick these things up, and have not gotten much use of them yet.

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:55 am

MrBill wrote:Alright. I must be doing something wrong. I put my irix overlays and install tools disk 1 into the drive. Told it to boot from the cd from the main prom menu. Loading bar comes up, I can see the drive being accessed, but after the loading bar fills i am dumped to a black screen.

Just to eliminate the (sometimes not too) obvious, which IRIX install set do you have? The Tezro isn't directly mentioned in this list, but the somewhat similar Origin 350 didn't get added until 6.5.21.

MrBill wrote:I am not sure if that is the issue. I have not had such issues with these dell monitors before.
For what it's worth, I share that impression too.

MrBill wrote:It defeats the whole purpose of the fancy pants workstation, but is it possible to do a headless install of irix from the serial console? I have the vt100 sitting right next to the thing, it would not take much to hook up, i am trying to see if it is an issue with the monitor from this point.
It is indeed possible, and if you are able to complete an install IRIX might offer a little additional flexibility in finding a suitable resolution for whichever display you have connected.

Not to suggest you're not doing it correctly (you probably have more experience than me), but I like to print a hard copy of Ian's IRIX 6.5 install guide, and tick off each step as I progress. I find the printed-list-check-off-method helpful because a clean install of IRIX is a fairly involved process. Missing a step usually means a complete do-over. Even if the disk held a previous IRIX install I always start with the 'Clearing Old Data Prior to Installation' of Ian's guide to make sure the disk is properly prepped.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:35 pm

"nvram monitor h" - that is supposed to be typed into the command monitor correct?

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:20 pm

I tried using a dvi to vga adapter, going to the same dell monitor. Lots of flashing in between screens, but I am getting further than when it was connected via dvi. Says a couple things about the date being wrong, and a few other things pop up before i can read them. Now it just dumps me to a blank light blue screen.

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:08 pm

MrBill wrote:"nvram monitor h" - that is supposed to be typed into the command monitor correct?
That version of the command is meant to be run from within IRIX. If applied at the PROM command console, the syntax would be

setenv -p monitor h
If it works with the Tezro PROM, the "monitor h" variable will set the graphics console to display at 1280x1024_60Hz.

MrBill wrote:I tried using a dvi to vga adapter, going to the same dell monitor. Lots of flashing in between screens, but I am getting further than when it was connected via dvi. Says a couple things about the date being wrong, and a few other things pop up before i can read them.
If you're inclined to try it, you could try booting to a serial console. I'm sure you're probably way ahead of me, but for the sake of completeness I'll go ahead and mention the Tezro's PROM console port is set at 38400/8/N/1. A terminal configured with a large scroll back buffer might make it possible to retrieve those fleetingly displayed messages.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:38 pm

recondas wrote:A terminal configured with a large scroll back buffer might make it possible to retrieve those fleetingly displayed messages.

If you're using a terminal on Linux, the command line switch for the scrollback buffer is usually -sl (for the saveLines resource) so for example xterm -sl 4096 would allow you to scroll back 4096 lines. I think the default is pretty small, like 64 or some other low power of two...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:51 pm

I had a KVM like that Indi 5000, but it was for Sun machines, had the serial sun keyboard/mouse interface. The sun one was IBM White (beige).

I was going to ask if that was serial like an Indigo/Crimson, etc. But the internet just told me it was for Indigo2's and Indy's, so I'm guessing it's PS/2? So bright, but so boring.

robespierre wrote:wow, some nice stuff there.
That Indi 5000 is a very rare KVM switch specifically for SGI workstations.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:18 pm

I'm sure you're probably way ahead of me, but...

Actually that is exactly where I was stuck at. My vt100 does not go over 19200. I did not think to set the speed higher. I dug out a laptop with serial instead. Here is where I get to. Commands are just like my sgi altix. will be nice if i can get it working.

The CD being booted is a known working CD, used to install on all my octanes. "IRIX 6.5.1.15 Installation Tools and Ovarlays (1 of 4) Feb 2002". I was able to boot into sash and FX to initially format the drive without issue.

001c01-L1>pwr u

001c01 ATTN: Cooling system stabilized
001c01-L1>
entering console mode  001c01 CPU0, <CTRL_T> to escape to L1

IP35 PROM SGI Version 6.210  built 02:33:51 PM Aug 26, 2004
*** Mixed standard and premium memory:
*** Treating all as standard.
Testing/Initializing memory ...............             DONE
Copying PROM code to memory ...............             DONE
Discovering local IO ......................
pcibus_sanity: WARNING  ** Target IOC3 not initialized . . forcing initialization **
DONE
Discovering NUMAlink connectivity .........
Local hub NUMAlink is down.
*** Local network link down
DONE
Found 1 objects (1 hubs, 0 routers) in 5888 usec
Waiting for peers to complete discovery....             DONE
No other nodes present; becoming global master
Global master is /hw/rack/001/bay/01
Intializing any CPUless nodes..............             DONE
Checking partitioning information .........             DONE
No other nodes present; becoming partition master
Local slave entering slave loop
Loading BASEIO prom .......................             DONE

BASEIO PROM Monitor SGI Version 6.210  built 02:30:38 PM Aug 26, 2004 (BE64)
4 CPUs on 1 nodes found.

NVRAM checksum is incorrect: reinitializing.
Automatic update of PROM environment disabled
Graphics diagnostics

Odyssey board #0 found on nasid 0
Running Odyssey xtalk sanity diag...
        Board version 1 - Buzz revision 3B
        On board sdram size: 128 Mb
        Cas latency: CAS 3
        4 banks by sdram module
Running Odyssey Buzz registers diag...
Device passed diagnostics

Installing PROM Device drivers ............
On-board (IO9) tigon3 1000BaseT interface
Base I/O Ethernet set to /dev/ethernet/tg0
Installing Graphics Console...
graphics install: searching for pipe 0
Probing IOC4 ATA adapter 2
IOC4 RevId = 79
Detected Vendor id/Product MATSHITA DVD-ROM SR-8588

Walking SCSI Adapter 0, (pci id 3)
1+ Device Vendor Product: SGI ST373307LC
2- 3- 4- 5- 6- 7- 8- 9- 10- 11- 12- 13- 14- 15- = 1 device(s)

Walking SCSI Adapter 1, (pci id 3)
1- 2- 3- 4- 5- 6- 7- 8- 9- 10- 11- 12- 13- 14- 15timeout on adapter 1 target f
   tm0=0xee050f853, tm1=0xee050f82c, timeout=0xb
- = 0 device(s)

Initializing PROM Device drivers ..........
  Initializing Base I/O Ethernet Interface...Failed.  MII Status Register = 0x7949
Done.
  ---------------Interface Configuration Summary----------------
  ASIC|Revision|MAC Address       : 5701|B5|08:00:69:13:ec:18
  Link Negotiation|Advertisement  : On|<H10 F10 H100 F100 F1000>
  Link|Speed|Duplex|Rx/Tx FlowCtrl: Down|10|Half|Off/Off
  --------------------------------------------------------------
DONE
Cannot connect to keyboard -- check the cable.
Cannot open /dev/input/ioc4pckm0 for input
Cannot connect to keyboard -- check the cable.
Cannot open /dev/input/ioc4pckm0 for input
Checking hardware inventory ...............
WARNING: hardware inventory is invalid.  Reinitializing...
Writing 6 records...... DONE
Updated new configuration. Wrote 6 records.

**** System Configuration and Diagnostics Summary ****
CONFIG:
         No. of NODEs enabled    = 1
         No. of NODEs disabled   = 0
         No. of CPUs enabled     = 4
         No. of CPUs disabled    = 0
         Mem enabled             = 3072 MB
         Mem disabled            = 0 MB
         No. of RTRs enabled     = 0
         No. of RTRs disabled    = 0

DIAG RESULTS:
         ALL DIAGS PASSED.
**** End System Configuration and Diagnostics Summary ****

System Maintenance Menu

1) Start System
2) Install System Software
3) Run Diagnostics
4) Recover System
5) Enter Command Monitor

Option? 2

Installing System Software...

Press <Esc> to return to the menu.

1) Remote Directory  2)[Local CD-ROM]
      *a) Local SCSI CD-ROM drive 0, on controller 2

Enter 1-2 to select source type, a to select the source, <esc> to quit,
or <enter> to start:

Insert the installation CD-ROM, then press <enter>:

A 000 001c01:
A 000 001c01: *** TLB Refill Exception on node 0
A 000 001c01: *** EPC: 0xa80000000129c728 (0xa80000000129c728)
A 000 001c01: *** Press ENTER to continue.
Last edited by MrBill on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:24 pm

I was going to ask if that was serial like an Indigo/Crimson, etc. But the internet just told me it was for Indigo2's and Indy's, so I'm guessing it's PS/2? So bright, but so boring.

The indi 5000 kvm.
Looks to be ps2. states it is compatible with indy and indigo2 only. Not the proprietary ps2 shaped connector used on the indigo.

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”