Unable to install Irix 6.5.16 to Indy: "Media not loaded"

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
mpickering

Unable to install Irix 6.5.16 to Indy: "Media not loaded"

Unread postby mpickering » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:02 pm

Hello all,

Coming back to my SGIs after a hiatus and I've been trying to ease back into it. I have an R4600SC based Indy I've been trying to install Irix 6.5.16 to and no matter what I do, I keep getting "Media not loaded" errors after installation. I've search the forum threads and not a lot of info is out there on resolving this.

I've wiped the disk several times. Re-labeled. Re-partitioned. Allowed the installer to recreate the filesystem. Install goes smoothly until the restart and it fails every single time.

The target disk is a Seagate ST31200N 2GB.

I can't follow the advice on using the 1998 6.5 base CD to create the miniroot since I don't have that CD and finding one is pretty much impossible.

So questions:

1) Is there an install sequence that works or is Irix 6.5.16 just buggy on Indy?
2) Alternately, could I install Irix 6.2 and then upgrade it to 6.5.16?

I've got a Fuel on the way as well. Would like to get the install process down before that shows up.

Any help appreciated.

Matt
:Fuel: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo:

foetz

Re: Unable to install Irix 6.5.16 to Indy: "Media not loaded"

Unread postby foetz » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:52 pm

mpickering wrote:I can't follow the advice on using the 1998 6.5 base CD to create the miniroot since I don't have that CD

how did you install 6.5.16 then?

Alternately, could I install Irix 6.2 and then upgrade it to 6.5.16?

no, there's no upgrade from 6.2 to 6.5.x

I've got a Fuel on the way as well. Would like to get the install process down before that shows up.

a fuel needs 6.5.17 or higher

mpickering

Unread postby mpickering » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:02 pm

foetz wrote:
mpickering wrote:I can't follow the advice on using the 1998 6.5 base CD to create the miniroot since I don't have that CD

how did you install 6.5.16 then?

First CD of the 6.5.16 set has the Installation Tools on it. I'm booting from that CD and using the tools there to partition the disk and start the install process.

a fuel needs 6.5.17 or higher

I have the 6.5.22m update. My thinking is doing that as a network install if possible by installing the 6.5.22 overlays as part of the initial install. Or won't a Fuel boot at all on 6.5.16? Otherwise, it is really going to suck being one revision away from supporting a new machine. It has an Irix install on it but I'd like the option of being able to do a re-install in the future. Looks like I'll have to look into cloning the disk.

Mat

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:53 pm

You cannot boot a release older than the machine you are using, because driver support simply doesn't exist.
You can only start the install using a newer release of the Installation Tools disc (or the same files over the network).

Also it looks like you're trying to install using just the overlays... You always need the base 6.5 set. Otherwise the required files won't be found during installation (and there will be errors).
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

mpickering

Unread postby mpickering » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:05 am

Solved it.

A lot of the Irix install instructions out there give minimum sets of files. So I've learned that when you have an Install and Overlay set, you must use ALL of the numbered overlay CDs to install Irix. I have 4 overlays, 2 foundation CDs and the applications. Once I used all four and pared down the install size to actually fit on a 2GB disk, the machine booted fine.

Is there somewhere like the Wiki I could go to write up an updated install process? Just so it is captured for future newbies as the online instructions out there, while useful, are a little too generic and Irix a little too specific.

Now to get it on the network! Thanks for the help.

Matt

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”