New to Nekochan and looking for hardware

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Re: New to Nekochan and looking for hardware

Unread postby Trippynet » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:54 am

Although the biggest advantage of the R10000 Indigo2 (apart from increased performance over the R4400s and the higher RAM limit) is the ability to run the main Nekoware repository. I know you've compiled/provided a sizeable array of packages for earlier systems, and you can also always do a hamei and compile your own too, but if you simply want access to the biggest array of current stuff available with the least hassle, a MIPS4 system with IRIX 6.5.21+ will give the easiest way to run the widest range of stuff.

I've found my Indigo2 is perfectly capable of running IRIX 6.5 at a pleasant enough speed, along with XMMS, Dillo, ScummVM and a few other apps as well. Granted it chugs if you try SeaMonkey, Firefox or something like that, but there's certainly a number of things it'll run at a pleasant enough pace with IRIX 6.5. Like I say, it depends on what you want to do and how realistic your expectations are.

Of course, if he's considering a faster SGI as well at some point, then experimenting with an older release of IRIX on an Indigo2 may be an option, but from personal experience I find that my Indigo2 runs 6.5 and a chunk of Nekoware stuff just fine for me! :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:41 pm

Trippynet wrote:Although the biggest advantage of the R10000 Indigo2 (apart from increased performance over the R4400s and the higher RAM limit) is the ability to run the main Nekoware repository. I know you've compiled/provided a sizeable array of packages for earlier systems, and you can also always do a hamei and compile your own too, but if you simply want access to the biggest array of current stuff available with the least hassle, a MIPS4 system with IRIX 6.5.21+ will give the easiest way to run the widest range of stuff.

of course, for nekoware 6.5 is the only choice

from personal experience I find that my Indigo2 runs 6.5 and a chunk of Nekoware stuff just fine for me! :)

sure, most of the freeware should run fine on an r10000 indigo2 but that's not what i meant. i meant the "fat" commercial software. when i see for example how sluggish the maya gui is even on a fairly well equipped octane and compare that to poweranimator on an indigo2, well, pa wins with flying colors.

of course, as always, it depends on what you wanna do

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:30 pm

foetz wrote:i meant the "fat" commercial software.

Ahh, I see. I can't really comment there as most the software I run on my Indigo2 is open sauce stuff, so I'll take your word for it :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:33 pm

Trippynet wrote: ... you can also always do a hamei and compile your own too, but if you simply want access to the biggest array of current stuff available with the least hassle, a MIPS4 system with IRIX 6.5.21+ will give the easiest way to run the widest range of stuff.

That's not by choice, you know. I don't want to sound negative but let's face facts ... nekoware is in a rather shabby state these days. There's over 160 tardists in /beta that no one has bothered to comment on, there's now issues with programs in current that require libraries that are still in beta, several of the best tardissters have apparently given up due to a total lack of response and gone away .... it's kind of sad but that's life.

"Who will help me plant the wheat ?" asked the little red hen ...
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:52 am

I completely agree. It's a problem, and I'm not sure what the solution would be, given how few people still actively use these things on a regular basis.

Personally, I simply lack the understanding necessary to comment on most of the lower-level libraries. I install them because a later package requires them, but it's difficult to say whether they're working properly or not when you do not know how much (or little) use of them is made by an actual application. I think that's probably one of the reasons so many of them have sat there for so long. Confirming whether or not a ported library fully works is not straightforward.

With an end user app like Dillo, it's much easier for people like myself to test that and confirm that everything seems to be working as it should (or maybe not as the case may be), and for things like this, I have tried to give my feedback where I can.

Of course on the other hand, even a repository of partially beta stuff is better than nothing, given that hardly anything these days comes with IRIX support any more, and given how increasingly difficult it is to compile most modern stuff under IRIX even if you try.
Systems in use:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:33 am

hamei wrote:There's over 160 tardists in /beta that no one has bothered to comment on

yeah that's unfortunate.

there's now issues with programs in current that require libraries that are still in beta

then those should not have been moved to current in the first place.

anyway as Trippynet said, as long as the stuff is there (in whatever folder) it's nice

SpaceDebris

Unread postby SpaceDebris » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:01 am

Thanks again for the continued responses. I didn't mean for it to take me this long to post again but work and school have kept me overly busy lately.
I'm happy to report that I now own 3 Indigo2s! I've only been able to spare about an hour total playing around with them so I haven't had time install Nekoware or anything yet. Their specifications are as follows:

1 Teal 200mhz R4400, 128MB RAM, XZ graphics, 36GB HDD, Irix 6.5
2 Purple 200mhz R4400, 128MB RAM, Elan graphics, No hdd, No OS
3 Purple 195mhz R10K, 512MB RAM, Solid Impact Graphics, 9GB HDD, Irix 6.5

I probably should have stopped after I got the first one but hearing the startup chime and looking at the Irix GUI for the first time in 16 years flooded me with Nostalgia and I felt the need to get a couple more to experiment with... I'm actually finding this old SGI stuff a lot more interesting than I thought I would initially. I originally just wanted an Indigo2 for the sake of nostalgia but now I'm considering getting an Octane as well. I've been networking with people at my college and a friend of mine that works at a computer recycling place to see if I can potentially get some free hardware.
Image R10K 195MHz CPU, SolidIMPACT Graphics, Phobos G160 NIC, 512MB RAM, 9.1GB 15k HDD, IRIX 6.5.22
Image R4400 200MHz CPU, Elan Graphics, 128MB RAM, 36GB 15K HDD, IRIX 6.2

SpaceDebris

Unread postby SpaceDebris » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:05 am

foetz wrote:however, an r10k indigo2 is not too useful because it'll still be quite laggy for anything that needs 6.5.x. an octane or higher is the better choice there.
in other words everything less than an r10000 o2 doesn't make much sense with 6.5.x. older, lighter irix versions with older, lighter programs is where an indigo shines.

Trippynet wrote:
I've found my Indigo2 is perfectly capable of running IRIX 6.5 at a pleasant enough speed, along with XMMS, Dillo, ScummVM and a few other apps as well. Granted it chugs if you try SeaMonkey, Firefox or something like that, but there's certainly a number of things it'll run at a pleasant enough pace with IRIX 6.5. Like I say, it depends on what you want to do and how realistic your expectations are.

Of course, if he's considering a faster SGI as well at some point, then experimenting with an older release of IRIX on an Indigo2 may be an option, but from personal experience I find that my Indigo2 runs 6.5 and a chunk of Nekoware stuff just fine for me! :)

It's good to know that lag is to be expected with Irix 6.5. Since I mostly plan on using freeware 6.5 will probably be just fine for my R10k system. As soon I get a copy of 6.2 and have some free time I'll definitely give it a try on my older R4400 system as I'd like it to be as fast and stable as possible.
Image R10K 195MHz CPU, SolidIMPACT Graphics, Phobos G160 NIC, 512MB RAM, 9.1GB 15k HDD, IRIX 6.5.22
Image R4400 200MHz CPU, Elan Graphics, 128MB RAM, 36GB 15K HDD, IRIX 6.2

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”