Hello Nekochan...new SGI owner here

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
zagnut

Re: Hello Nekochan...new SGI owner here

Unread postby zagnut » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:35 pm

vishnu wrote:
zagnut wrote: Does this look like a good deal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/121679911986

That would be an outstanding deal if they were working, still a good deal even if they're not. From the pictures they look mint, not a spec of dust, possibly they've never even been turned on... :shock:

I was thinking the same, look in great shape. I might see if I can talk my gf into letting me buy yet 2 more computers :D .

Go check out that Altix I found for sale. Its got 36 processor modules for a total of 72 Itaniums and 8gb ram. Posted a link above in edited post.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:56 pm

Altix-shmaltix! If it can't run Irix it's crap... :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:59 pm

Never turned on? Are we looking at the same Origin350 or are you being sarcastic?

Code: Select all

Condition:    For parts or not working
Seller Notes: THE ITEMS HAVE COSMETIC WEAR THEY WERE POWER ON TESTED ONLY.

It's missing a drive bay door, most of the 19" rackmount rail kit, and the NUMA cable to connect the two units.

On the plus side, one unit is dual 800MHz, the other quad 800MHz. You'd need that NUMA cable, the rest is optional.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:13 pm

jan-jaap wrote:
duck wrote:The random disk I have in my Octane just clocked in some 85MB/s in sequential reads off the disk

The internal SCSI bus of an Octane is UltraWide SCSI, 40MB/s.

Err yes, I know that, my ears are burning. I ran bonnie++ once and didn't even stop to think.

Something must be wrong it, it now claimed 181MB/s sequential reads and 56MB/s sequential writes on a 1GB file.
:Octane: halo, octane Image knightrider, d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond, soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.

zagnut

Unread postby zagnut » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:27 pm

vishnu wrote:Altix-shmaltix! If it can't run Irix it's crap... :lol:

It run Linux....good enough for my HTPC and redundancy needs. Probably a little overkill though...but thats how I roll. 8-)

jan-jaap wrote:Never turned on? Are we looking at the same Origin350 or are you being sarcastic?

It's missing a drive bay door, most of the 19" rackmount rail kit, and the NUMA cable to connect the two units.

On the plus side, one unit is dual 800MHz, the other quad 800MHz. You'd need that NUMA cable, the rest is optional.

The door is cosmetic, I could care less personally. Says they were pulled from a working system. And they are remarkably clean looking, which I believe is what brought on the "looks like never turned on" comment. I don't think Vishnu believes they have never been on, they just appear that way. Very clean for being pulled from a working system. That system must not have been used very often. For the age, they should have some visible dust. Which does make me curious.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:32 pm

jan-jaap wrote:Never turned on? Are we looking at the same Origin350 or are you being sarcastic?

Beasts like these can aquire plenty of cosmetic wear just from being moved around, shoved under benches, propped up against walls, etc. If they never had rack hardware they may never have been mounted and thus may never have been used. Admittedly the pictures are a little blurry but the insides look dust-free, which is always the first best indicator of lack of use...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

nyef

Unread postby nyef » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:55 pm

zagnut wrote:I've always wanted a rack server. A 350 would be cool. Does this look like a good deal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/121679911986

Yes. I'd go for that myself if I were in the market for more IP35 nodes at the moment. Note that "item 1" does not have an IO9, thus is not very useful without being attached to another unit via a numalink cable (around $40-60, possibly plus shipping). These will run Linux in single-CPU mode if you'd rather run that than IRIX, although the drives may well already have IRIX installed.

Someone about 20 mins from me is selling a nice looking Origin 2000 rack. http://www.ebay.com/itm/271907648495 Too bad I don't have the $$$ and a pick up truck. :( Looks a little pricey for a 2000 though.

That looks like it's an Onyx 2000, doesn't it? The top chassis doesn't have any XIO slots (and some of the boards are rather suspiciously tagged "RM"), and the bottom chassis has an IO6-G rather than an IO-6. If you're careful, and you work with a friend, you should be able to take it apart to the point where you can lift the peices separately.

If I had space and power for it, and a suitable vehicle, I'd jump on that. Two days there, parts it until I can lift the bits into the car, two days back...

zagnut

Unread postby zagnut » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:43 pm

nyef wrote:
zagnut wrote:I've always wanted a rack server. A 350 would be cool. Does this look like a good deal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/121679911986

Yes. I'd go for that myself if I were in the market for more IP35 nodes at the moment. Note that "item 1" does not have an IO9, thus is not very useful without being attached to another unit via a numalink cable (around $40-60, possibly plus shipping). These will run Linux in single-CPU mode if you'd rather run that than IRIX, although the drives may well already have IRIX installed.

Someone about 20 mins from me is selling a nice looking Origin 2000 rack. http://www.ebay.com/itm/271907648495 Too bad I don't have the $$$ and a pick up truck. :( Looks a little pricey for a 2000 though.

That looks like it's an Onyx 2000, doesn't it? The top chassis doesn't have any XIO slots (and some of the boards are rather suspiciously tagged "RM"), and the bottom chassis has an IO6-G rather than an IO-6. If you're careful, and you work with a friend, you should be able to take it apart to the point where you can lift the peices separately.

If I had space and power for it, and a suitable vehicle, I'd jump on that. Two days there, parts it until I can lift the bits into the car, two days back...

I didnt see the RM tags....hmmmm. Onyx or Origin, sadly I cant afford it atm no matter which it is. We have a baby on the way and I haven't started my new job yet. It saddens my inner geek when I see things like this locally and cant get them. I showed my gf, and after hearing its over 6ft tall and seeing the price, she laughed hysterically. I knew the answer answer immediately upon hearing her maniacal laugh. lmao.

I'd much rather drive to Cali for the Altix I posted a link to if I were going to spend $1.3-1.5k anyways. :D

Oh well....maybe once I start my new job, we move, and the baby is born....then I can get the rack system I've always wanted. I have no problem paying low for a nicely maintained unit, for home use, thats considered obsolete by enterprise standards.

BTW....all of you are evil......you've awoken my inner nerd to a new type of computer that can be had inexpensively. My gf will forever hate you all for the hell I will be putting her through in the coming future. :lol:

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:37 pm

ClassicHasClass wrote:I'll be the token classic Mac OS defender: under the hood, it's crap. But when it works, the user experience is excellent, which is why we're still saying FTFF in OS X 13 years after Steve-o eulogized OS 9 at WWDC.

I'll join you in that. I got my start on classic Mac OS, and even though it had its shortcomings I've never used another OS whose user experience was anywhere near as nice.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

nyef

Unread postby nyef » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:08 pm

commodorejohn wrote:
ClassicHasClass wrote:I'll be the token classic Mac OS defender: under the hood, it's crap. But when it works, the user experience is excellent, which is why we're still saying FTFF in OS X 13 years after Steve-o eulogized OS 9 at WWDC.

I'll join you in that. I got my start on classic Mac OS, and even though it had its shortcomings I've never used another OS whose user experience was anywhere near as nice.

Ditto. As far as I'm concerned, System 6.0.7 with MultiFinder was a better Mac OS than any OSX.

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:06 pm

ClassicHasClass wrote:
Would it be worth investing in the pci cage for a SCSI card usage? Also, would it be worth considering upgrading to a dual cpu unit...should I be able to find one? I suppose that last question is just personal preference.

The PCI cage? I think so, if SCSI throughput's going to be what you'd use it for. The extra CPU would mostly benefit using it as, you know, a computer. :)

Once you go Irix you don't go, uh, bye-bye-rix.

Definitely upgrade to a dual CPU, you'll need the extra power to run mplayer well, especially if OpenGL acceleration doesn't want to work.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

zagnut

Unread postby zagnut » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:38 pm

Krokodil wrote:
ClassicHasClass wrote:
Would it be worth investing in the pci cage for a SCSI card usage? Also, would it be worth considering upgrading to a dual cpu unit...should I be able to find one? I suppose that last question is just personal preference.

The PCI cage? I think so, if SCSI throughput's going to be what you'd use it for. The extra CPU would mostly benefit using it as, you know, a computer. :)

Once you go Irix you don't go, uh, bye-bye-rix.

Definitely upgrade to a dual CPU, you'll need the extra power to run mplayer well, especially if OpenGL acceleration doesn't want to work.

If I could afford that, I would. But truth be told, I have a baby to be born in October, and I have been unemployed (start new job tomorrow). So I need to be careful of budget. Myabe I will keep all parts and in 3 years they will be less money :D lol

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:57 am

Krokodil wrote:you'll need the extra power to run mplayer well

why mplayer?

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:50 am

Because he'll love IRIX so much he'll want to run things locally. :)
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:18 am

zagnut wrote:If I could afford that, I would. But truth be told, I have a baby to be born in October, and I have been unemployed (start new job tomorrow). So I need to be careful of budget. Myabe I will keep all parts and in 3 years they will be less money :D lol

Congrats on the sgi baby.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”