Just got my first SGI machine. Requesting help with IRIX

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: Just got my first SGI machine. Requesting help with IRIX

Unread postby vishnu » Mon May 04, 2015 11:04 pm

bushnrvn wrote:Hm. setmon doesn't seem to resolve the problem. The version I'm running is 6.5.29f

setmon -x only takes effect upon the next attempted start of Xsgi, so (for example) you'd have to log out and then back in again. setmon -n takes effect immediately, but is only temporary for that session. Once you log out the resolution will go back to what it was previously once you log in again. setmon -x changes the resolution permanently, or, at least until you deliberately change it to something else. If you use setmon -x and don't want to log out and in again, you can do /usr/gfx/stopgfx followed by /usr/gfx/startgfx to achieve the same effect. So give that a try, either setmon -n for immediate effect or setmon -x followed by a restart of the xserver.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

bushnrvn

Unread postby bushnrvn » Tue May 05, 2015 8:33 am

Update - a friend was surprised to hear that I had picked one of these up. It should be sufficient to say, they might be able to help me fix this installation of IRIX the easy way.

I am heading out of town for the rest of the week, so I might not be able to test until next week. Thanks.
:O200: :O200: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy:

ajw99uk

Unread postby ajw99uk » Tue May 05, 2015 1:23 pm

bushnrvn wrote:I've attached a screen cap of the boot messages. The services you've indicated are on. I am only able to check them in single user mode. Am I supposed to be able to interact with the machine at the System is ready message? It seems like the machine is lying in wait for some outside communication.

How long have you been willing to wait at that stage? Is there any sound of disk activity while you wait? If this machine had been set up as a headless system it may also be looking for network mounts and take a while to time-out. What can you see in /etc/fstab?

If it was running headless it might be worth poking around to see whether a desktop was being exported rather than set up for local display (maybe /var/X11/xdm/Xservers and other files in that directory for clues).

What does "hinv -v" tell you? (the fact that you get as far as single user shows the hardware is largely OK but the H/W config might jog someone's memory of a similar problem).
Fuel; Indigo2; Inspiron 531 WinXP/Win10/debian-buster; Inspiron 4100 debian-buster; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39; RPi B/256MB RISCOS5.23; RPi2 Raspbian-buster; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Wed May 06, 2015 9:31 am

Welcome,

I also just won an Octane off fleabay, in good cosmetic condition and reasonable specs. :)
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed May 06, 2015 9:47 pm

Krokodil wrote:I also just won an Octane off fleabay, in good cosmetic condition and reasonable specs. :)

Reasonable specs are a question of taste, some people consider a 195MHz Octane with 512 meg RAM to be reasonable, which I find to be in extremely poor taste... ;)
Project:
Plan:

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Thu May 07, 2015 10:29 am

vishnu wrote:
Krokodil wrote:I also just won an Octane off fleabay, in good cosmetic condition and reasonable specs. :)

Reasonable specs are a question of taste, some people consider a 195MHz Octane with 512 meg RAM to be reasonable, which I find to be in extremely poor taste... ;)

Nope, it wasn't any of those ones lol. This one has dual 250mhz processors(R10000), 1024MB of RAM, dual video boards(SI and EMXI), came with a bunch of other stuff too and all for somewhat less than the inferior models rolling around.

SAQ

Unread postby SAQ » Mon May 11, 2015 6:45 am

bushnrvn wrote:Thanks everyone. A couple points.

I'm new to IRIX but not Unix. The idiosyncrasies have been greater than I anticipated. Is there any official literature available on IRIX?

Techpubs is everything official and is great, but I'd also recommend the "UNIX Rosetta Stone." Downloadable PDF, points you towards the command to do N in X dialect of Unix.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue May 12, 2015 1:05 am

My first Unix bible, from 1985, which was the year I graduated uni and got hired at AT&T (I know, I'm one of those old dudes), I've still got it and it's still a great reference. :lol:
Attachments
understanding_unix.jpg
understanding_unix.jpg (13.42 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Project:
Plan:

armanox

Unread postby armanox » Thu May 21, 2015 9:24 pm

vishnu wrote:

Reasonable is also relative to your goals with it. Although since bumping mine from 384MB RAM to 1280, quite a few things work better. Now if I could only come into a dual 600MHz CPU, I'd be fantastic.
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
:Octane: :Octane: :O2:

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Fri May 22, 2015 11:42 am

armanox wrote:
vishnu wrote:

Reasonable is also relative to your goals with it. Although since bumping mine from 384MB RAM to 1280, quite a few things work better. Now if I could only come into a dual 600MHz CPU, I'd be fantastic.

I just bumped my Octane up to a dual 360MHZ. I think finding anything above 400MHZ, probably requires some kind of miracle.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri May 22, 2015 7:20 pm

Krokodil wrote:
armanox wrote:Reasonable is also relative to your goals with it. Although since bumping mine from 384MB RAM to 1280, quite a few things work better. Now if I could only come into a dual 600MHz CPU, I'd be fantastic.

I just bumped my Octane up to a dual 360MHZ. I think finding anything above 400MHZ, probably requires some kind of miracle.

600MHz Octane CPU modules do pop up on Sqeebay occasionally but almost never for a price that isn't outright laughable...
Project:
Plan:

armanox

Unread postby armanox » Fri May 22, 2015 9:14 pm

vishnu wrote:
Krokodil wrote:
armanox wrote:Reasonable is also relative to your goals with it. Although since bumping mine from 384MB RAM to 1280, quite a few things work better. Now if I could only come into a dual 600MHz CPU, I'd be fantastic.

600MHz Octane CPU modules do pop up on Sqeebay occasionally but almost never for a price that isn't outright laughable...

For the prices that the 600MHz (and 2x600) come up for, I'd lean towards just buying a Tezro instead. Except the Octane will always be special to me since it was the first real UNIX system I ever used (after that I got to learn Solaris on a Sunblade 150, and used SunOS a few times on a Sparc Classic, then got to play with some O2's. First one I had running at home was an O2, and it's been dead for a while. Second was a Sun Netra T1 that I still have) and earned IRIX a special place in my heart as the OS that works like I always wanted Linux to.
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
:Octane: :Octane: :O2:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri May 22, 2015 10:03 pm

the octane has one advantage over the tezro: mgras. there's quite a bunch of stuff that doesn't work so well with vpro so unless you have a late onyx model an impact octane is the max you can get

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri May 22, 2015 11:18 pm

foetz wrote:the octane has one advantage over the tezro: mgras. there's quite a bunch of stuff that doesn't work so well with vpro so unless you have a late onyx model an impact octane is the max you can get

I can testify to the fact that Adobe Premier is absolutely incapable of running on a VPro Octane, and also the Octane Personal Video option has to be jury-rigged considerably to get it to work with VPro, but if you want to run applications like Maya or Pro/E or Shake, having VPro is hugely beneficial...
Project:
Plan:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri May 22, 2015 11:40 pm

armanox wrote:For the prices that the 600MHz (and 2x600) come up for, I'd lean towards just buying a Tezro instead.

As the owner/operator of an O350 and the ex-owner of a Fuel, I would not. I wish the Octane were faster but even more, I wish I hadn't got so deep into the O3x crap. And I do mean crap.
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”