Indy XL TrueColor

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
foetz

Re: Indy XL TrueColor

Unread postby foetz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:27 pm

PowerGraphics wrote:If I understand well, all I need to do to my system supports 24bit (dithered or not), it would be put in the Xserver file, only the command -depth 24, and nothing else, not even put -class TrueColor (or PseudoColor or DirectColor), is this?

just try it, it can't do much harm

alexott

Unread postby alexott » Sun May 03, 2015 3:10 am

robespierre wrote:SGI's Virtual-24 technology is hardware-assisted dithering. The Xserver provides a 24-bit DirectColor visual to applications, which can run as if they had a 24-bit graphics device. The GL system dithers that visual using an 8-bit LUT optimized for the colors the application uses.

By contrast, HP's Color Recovery technology also processes the data on the backend, turning the dithering back into an approximation of the original color information. It was only found on the 715's HCRX and the 712's integrated graphics.

Did SGI implemented Virtual-24 with zero performance penalty? I know that HP did so: http://www.bytecellar.com/2005/02/09/my_hp_9000_7126/

PowerGraphics

Unread postby PowerGraphics » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:45 pm

When I used IRIX 5.3 on my Indy, changing the Xserver file, it was possible to use truecolor, the photos were super perfect and bright. I know it was simulated, but it was possible.

How to do this in IRIX 6.2 or 6.5?

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:30 pm

PowerGraphics wrote:When I used IRIX 5.3 on my Indy, changing the Xserver file, it was possible to use truecolor, the photos were super perfect and bright. I know it was simulated, but it was possible.

How to do this in IRIX 6.2 or 6.5?

Depending on what your Indy can actually do, it would probably be some variant of this:

http://software.majix.org/irix/desktop-depth.shtml
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”