Yet another newbie intro

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Re: Yet another newbie intro

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Trippynet wrote:Welcome! XMMS is decent for music, and of course takes classic Winamp skins as well. I've ran it with no problems on several SGI machines. Couple it with a 300GB disk full of music and an O2 makes a very nice little jukebox, especially if you replace the PSU fan with a quieter one :)

Web browsing wise, Dillo 3 is incredibly fast, but also very basic (although better than Netscape). For simple sites, it's great, and it works well with Nekoware and Nekochan! I've actually found on my old Indigo2 that SeaMonkey is faster than Firefox and does a good job of rendering a lot of reasonably modern/complex pages (although it'll choke with very new stuff). Always bear in mind that browsing the web isn't exactly what SGIs were designed for, and that applies doubly for O2s...

The reason for that is very simple: SeaMonkey 1.1 is Gecko 1.8.1, same as Firefox 2. Much slimmer, but more limited with respect to standards support.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:24 pm

duck wrote:pdksh (where pd equals public domain)

ah yup of course that's different

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:05 pm

foetz wrote:
llama wrote:I'm certainly not married to bash, I guess I just need to set up tcsh (or similar) properly so I have the things I'm now used to (up arrow history, tab completion with choices, ctrl-c break, etc etc). Is there a list of shells available on the system (eg an /etc/shells equivalent)? I seem to have a limited selection but I'm only eyeballing the bin directory so maybe they're stashed somewhere else?

if you wanna see which shells are there by default just have a look into /usr/bin and /sbin.
tcsh does cover what you listed except for tab completion with multiple choices. if that's a must you need to grab zsh from nekoware. if the nekoware zsh should cause problems because you're on 6.5.14 you can alternatively use mine for 6.2 which works fine with all 6.5.x versions.

The inverse exercise would be to try out tsch on your mac or linux and see how it does on a machine you are already familiar with. Just something to consider.

llama

Unread postby llama » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Looks like zsh could be the go for an interactive shell - I've been using it on my Mac and I really like it.

I've also potentially tracked down some install software (I say potentially as I don't know if it is a proper install or just the overlays) from the same guy who gave me the boxes - no idea what version but I'm guessing relatively late as it came with a Tezro that another post production house bought a while ago. Apparently they have a box of SGI stuff I can have a sort through so I've got my fingers crossed. I'm trying to convince them that they no longer need the Tezro and should pass it along to me :lol:

In other news I've downloaded the 6.5.22 update from SGI so will upgrade the o2 when I get a chance, then start playing with nekoware.

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:20 pm

Welcome and congratulations! And good luck convincing them to give up the Tezro. ;)

Image all hard drives as soon as you can, if you haven't already. There's a chance you'll find software and/or licenses on them later that you aren't looking for now, and there's no Undo function. (I think you understand this, but I hadn't seen it said explicitly so...)

Hopefully you'll wind up with a complete media kit at some point, because one of the things I find most interesting in tinkering with any uncommon (today, at any rate) kit is how the installation and management works. IRIX != Solaris != AIX != HP/UX != Tru64 != Linux != OSX ... But they all have their interesting features and maddening quirks, and it broadens the mind to see what they all are.

Also, go look into getting a serial cable so you can scope out the Octane. Not having a working 13W3 adapter isn't the end of the line.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:23 pm

llama wrote:I've also potentially tracked down some install software (I say potentially as I don't know if it is a proper install or just the overlays) ...

In other news I've downloaded the 6.5.22 update from SGI so will upgrade the o2 when I get a chance, then start playing with nekoware.

With an O2 in particular you might consider sticking at 6.5.22. There are no fixes for O2 in the later overlays, beyond perhaps some general stuff for xfs or whatever. But at 6.5.23 SGI replaced all the good utilitites like Impressario and Display Postscript with a bunch of third-rate half-baked crap (CUPS, for example.) And they also screwed up the entire fonts system ...

Reverting to the good utilities will drive you crazy, so upgrading beyond 22 is something I would do selectively. After two years I'm still trying to straighten out my fonts. In fact, with an O2 I'd stay put right there.
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

llama

Unread postby llama » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:21 pm

And I finally got a monitor adaptor for the Octane so can finally boot the thing - turns out it's a dual 250MHz with 512MB RAM. It also contains an install of Flame by the looks of things, though I haven't had a good look for any other software.

It's running 6.5.23. One strange thing is there is no desktop as such (No dumpster, icons on desktop etc), all I have is the menu bar top left so I open a shell and load apps from there but there is no menu item for things like Netscape etc. Will have to dig around a bit, but happy to have it working!

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:41 pm

if that's a discreet setup then the desktop is limited. they turned off as much as possible since the machines were delivered as turnkey systems

Vladio
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Vladio » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:16 pm

hamei wrote:The O2 is a very strange computer. It's like a girl who's really hot in the sack but loses her car keys every five minutes and can't boil water. Half the time you can't wait to get home and play with it, the other half you want to throw it out the window.

Old thread but one of the best analogies I've read in a while. Well done, hamei! :lol:
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”