Searching 3D Models of our beloved ones

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
MrWeedster

Searching 3D Models of our beloved ones

Unread postby MrWeedster » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:52 am

Hi there.

Im searching for 3d models of our beloved computers: SGI.
I already found the O2 model in the O2 demos, and something from the octane from their demos (although its not really a good model, because the vrml includes a room and a monitor and so on).
I converted the o2 one using meshconv to stl format. The result is hell, the surfaces dont look good and they got holes in it.

Maybe someone imported and converted the old vrml format into a new one and got nice models of it.

Do you guys have other models? I would take all that is availible.

Thanks

[E] Just in case you wonder why i need them:
My plan is to make a basic metalchassis which holds one of the new intel nuc boards and put a custom thermal solution on it. The result would be a metal box of around 11x11x(17-18)cm containing a potent peecee (dont kill me).

After finishing the base chassis, my plan would be to 3d print a scaled down model of o2, octane and mostly, onyx2/origin2000 (deskside) and put the base chassis in them.
Result would be micro-(looklike)-SGIs to hook up to your tv and watch movies on, or a full blown office pc.

Best computer design paired with modern-age hardware which doesnt use current from a whole nuclear power plant but has more power (and also is almost not noticable noise wise) :>

smj
Donor
Donor

Re: Searching 3D Models of our beloved ones

Unread postby smj » Thu May 01, 2014 5:10 pm

It's a perfectly reasonable idea, and I'd love to see decent printable (and scalable) models of iconic SGI designs. That would be a lot easier than sgifanatic's reproduction of the Indigo in metal: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16724795

But hey, maybe there's a link to a model you can use in that thread - if not, send him a PM and ask if he can share it.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri May 02, 2014 11:14 am

jeez, i'd have given you some models but turning that into mini mediastreamers ... :P

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Fri May 02, 2014 2:49 pm

Hey, a printable model might keep somebody from gutting an actual machine...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri May 02, 2014 6:53 pm

smj wrote:Hey, a printable model might keep somebody from gutting an actual machine...

haha fair enough but still awful :P

MrWeedster

Unread postby MrWeedster » Sat May 03, 2014 1:49 am

Ah come on, dont be like that :>

Wouldnt you like a mini lookalike-sgi in your living room?

[Edit]
I got the cooling fitted for a first test:
In front is the original fan.
Image Image Image Image

Runs on 50% load with 54 degrees celsius.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed May 21, 2014 10:22 am

MrWeedster wrote:I got the cooling fitted for a first test:
In front is the original fan.

Is that your O2 running Linux under that giant stack of copper? :shock:

The fan might help more if you move it around to the side and blow it through the fins... 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

sgifanatic

Unread postby sgifanatic » Wed May 21, 2014 7:31 pm

I've been thinking about this for a while. But I want to do full-size 3D repros instead of small ones. The O2 is really the best candidate. I've thought about the Indigo faceplate... will have to be printed in pieces. There's def some custom CAD work to be done here. You can visit the Indigo Reborn thread (viewtopic.php?t=16724795#p7335564) to see a simplistic, slightly modernized model of the Indigo in SketchUP, but that is far from printable. 3D printable models are very different to 3D models simply made to mimic the original facade, or even those designed for mold building. There's material thickness, struts, supports, printability crap in general to take into account. My guess is that something like the O2 as a 3D printable object is best done from the ground up. Not much value in a 3D model that wasn't designed keeping the constraints of consumer 3D printing in mind.
--
:Octane2: 2 x :Octane: 2 x :O2: 4 x :Indigo: :Fuel: 20 x :Indy: 15 x :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: BeBox133 NextCube 3 x NextStation PcJr Gateway486DX25 XTClone8088 ATTPC Tandy100 Atari800 Atari1040ST C64 Amiga CommodorePET Kaypro 2 x Osborne RS/6000 PS/2Model60 SparcStation5 AppleLisa SE/30 2 x MacColorClassic MacClassic 3 x FujitsuStylistics CompaqPortable Audrey ToshibaLibretto20 Tandy1400LT MacClamshell 2 x PowerMacG4Tower PowerMacG4Cube Dozens x x86/ARM/tablets/embedded and assorted...

Stoo

Unread postby Stoo » Thu May 22, 2014 9:10 am

I've started noodling around attempting to build the indigo2 in Cinema4D, I'll post a couple of screenshots later.
:Octane2: Octane2 Dual R14K 600Mhz, 4GB RAM, VPro V12, DCD, PCI Card Cage, GBit Ethernet
:Indigo2IMP: Indigo2 R10K 195MHz, 1GB RAM, Maximum Impact, I2V
The boxen are breeding... help!

MrWeedster

Unread postby MrWeedster » Sun May 25, 2014 1:16 am

So far i've found two models, the one of the o2 (my collegue overdid it, its usable for 3d printing now, altough not 100% original shape) and the other of the octane.

Now i wonder if there are other similar "travel inside your sgi" demos from other machines where i could extract the models.
What i would like to have would be the origin/onyx deskside models, because they are the perfect shape.

sgifanatic

Unread postby sgifanatic » Sun May 25, 2014 12:28 pm

Would you please share these two models? Much appreciated.
--
:Octane2: 2 x :Octane: 2 x :O2: 4 x :Indigo: :Fuel: 20 x :Indy: 15 x :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: BeBox133 NextCube 3 x NextStation PcJr Gateway486DX25 XTClone8088 ATTPC Tandy100 Atari800 Atari1040ST C64 Amiga CommodorePET Kaypro 2 x Osborne RS/6000 PS/2Model60 SparcStation5 AppleLisa SE/30 2 x MacColorClassic MacClassic 3 x FujitsuStylistics CompaqPortable Audrey ToshibaLibretto20 Tandy1400LT MacClamshell 2 x PowerMacG4Tower PowerMacG4Cube Dozens x x86/ARM/tablets/embedded and assorted...

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sun May 25, 2014 6:22 pm

To do it right, which is to say to do it such that the parts that are printed can be assembled onto a workstation, you'd have to have a completely disassembled set of skins and measure out every square inch of them with a caliper and a set of french curves, and simultaneously draw it up in something like Solidworks or Pro/Engineer. Conceivably doable but it would not be easy. Of course there's no possibility of SGI ever releasing their design files to us, unless we're willing to dangle a very large cash carrot in front of their noses. I'll chip in five bucks, now who else is in? 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

MrWeedster

Unread postby MrWeedster » Sun May 25, 2014 11:21 pm

Well the first one (O2) was built that way:

We converted the vrml to stl file format. Result was a model from converting hell. The planes were totally messed up (Missing planes, planes that look like the moon, etc.

So i sat a collegue in front of it to work it over (Im not able to do that at a time), and after some hours he had a very nice one done. He loaded the stl in a 3d modeller and drawed the lines after the original and assembled the thing.

Its far from being 100% accurate (No CD-ROM bezel, the base stand is symetric, etc), but its going in the right direction.

I convince him today to overdo the octane ^^

@vishnu: Thats all not neccessary if someone already did this, or, better: If there are models provided by sgi in their demos.

I share the models later.

Devil Master

Unread postby Devil Master » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:27 pm

Hooray for necroposting! :-D

I'm reviving this thread because I made several models of SGI workstations that I placed together as a VRML world. Here it is: http://devilmaster.altervista.org/sgi/sgimodels.html
Please note that the resolution of the rear textures isn't as high as I would've liked: they were originally 2048x1024, but a test revealed that it took WAY too long to load those textures, so I resized them to 512x256. Also, I haven't been able to find a decent rear view of a Tezro, so I didn't texture it.

I made them because I had originally found a VRML model of an Indy and one of an Indigo, but frankly, they sucked. The colors weren't right, and they weren't even the right shape: they were just blue boxes. As soon as I saw those models, I thought I could do better... so I did ;-)
After making those two models, I modelled more workstations as both a self-imposed challenge and a study of proportions. The measurements come from sgistuff.net , while the colors and the textures come from photographs.
I was surprised when I discovered that the Indigo was bigger than I thought, and the Tezro was smaller than I thought.
Last edited by Devil Master on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:05 pm

Nice :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”