Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:08 am 

Is someone familiar with a link aggregation network gigabit setup?

:shock:

I want to use a Tezro as a client with a linux centos nfs server. The Tezro has the build-in network card and an extra single port network card. The linux server has dual port network and there is a layer 2 switch in between supporting link aggregation and jumbo frames.

I tried a setup with nlb software in the Tezro, lb0 as primary network (with tg0 and tg1) and jumbo frames, the dual ports on the linux nfs server bonded together with jumbos, but there was no performance difference compared to a 'single tg0 connection' (testet with diskperf on the nfs mount at the Tezro) to the server.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by hhoffman on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:26 pm 

Are you connecting point to point or via a switch?

risk.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:01 pm 

Yes :) there is a HP Procurve 1810G-24 gigabit switch in between. For the test I made a setup on the switch with a trunk for the linux nfs server (dual network ports bonded link aggregation IEEE 802.3ad), jumbo frames and a vlan for all four ports (2x nfs server trunk and 2x Tezro nlb). No special switch configuration for the two nlb ports from the Tezro.

:1600SW: :Tezro: :Octane: :O2: :O2:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:02 pm 

You may want to use a different mode for bonding to try to get more performance. I believe when you use 802.3ad (LACP) it will load balance between the two links, but all packets destined for a certain host always go out over the same slave link, so you only get the advantage of bonding if you have multiple clients trying to access your server, and none of them will ever do better than 1 Gbit. In linux, I believe the only way to utilize the full 2 Gbit of the link with only one other host is to put the bond in mode 0 (balance-rr), which sequentially sends packets out over each link. You may want to consult: http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document ... onding.txt

As for bonding under Irix, I am without clue. However, there may be similar considerations to make...

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:51 am 

Many thanks for your advise, that helps me a lot in the configuration and understanding of linux.

With the sgi irix nlb software version I tried (812-0904-005), there is a possibility for
- network load balancing
- Failure Detection Only
- Static Trunking

What is the difference in the question of speed of nlb compared to static trunking?

Does it make sense to bond the internal network interface of a tezro together with one externel network interface (lb0=tg0,tg1), or should I consider to buy a dual port network card (lb0=tg1,tg2) for the virtual nlb device?

:?:

the user manual for nlb software is here:
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/manuals/3000/007-3895-004/pdf/007-3895-004.pdf

Last edited by hhoffman on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:47 am 

I think the only way you'll be able to what you want an see a performance gain is to go with static trunking. The "network load balancing" mode seems to operate in the same "packets bound for hosts A,C,E,G,etc. go out link 1, packets bound for host B,D,F,H,etc go out link 2". I can't guarantee that the Static Trunking mode is exactly what you want, though, as the doc you linked too doesn't go into great detail as to how it load balances packets across the interfaces. It's certainly worth a try. You should post your findings and the results of any bandwidth tests you do here for future reference :-)

As far as whether you should go with the onboard and one expansion interface, or a dual port interface, it depends on the bandwidth of the PCI slots you put your interfaces into. Though to be quite honest, I would be surprised if there were any PCI slots in the tezro that wouldn't support a 2x1 Gbit board. I think at minimum you'd have to put your dual interface card into a 66 Mhz 64 bit PCI slot because 2x1 Gbit interfaces in full duplex mode will need 4Gbit of bandwidth and a 66 Mhz 64 bit slot will push that: 66 Mhz * 64 bit = 4224 Mbit/s

I'm no Tezro expert, so I don't know how the PCI slots in one are configured :-)

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:09 am 

thank's again for your suggestions, actually I modded a broadcom netxtreme card to a sgi 5704 dual port card, but I did not get better performance on whatever configuration I tried.
maybe the nlb irix software is not the final solution for binding two ports together. I also tried a 'SGI Infinite Network Bandwidth' setup, but that seems to me a point-to-point solution from one IRIX machine to another IRIX machine, without any chance to connect IRIX to linux nfs ....

:(

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:52 pm 

I was recently also looking into this. Can anyone tell me if NLBS (nlb_eoe) included with full V6.5.28m installation set? (Before I start searching through the entire kit.) Actually, to hereby edit my post: Never mind, this seems to answer my question...

• Offering various remaining systems and parts, several interestingly compatible with both IRIX and OpenVMS (AXP and I64);
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1-GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).