Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: Hello! Indigo WIP
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:29 pm 

Hello! I don't really have a question, but I didn't see a better place to introduce myself. :) I'm a long-time fan of IRIX boxen, but haven't had a working one in my possession for quite a while. Back in the early 1990's, the Indigo was the machine I wanted but couldn't afford. A few years ago, I picked up a couple of well-loved Indigos, some Elan boardsets, and other Indigo goodies, but never got anything working. I've made my New Year's resolution, though: Get at least one Indigo running this year! :D One machine is an R3k, the other an R4k. Unsure of RAM, and neither has a HD. So! I've got some work cut out for me! I'm presently working on securing HDs and OS media, but I believe I have that solved now.

I look forward to shortly rejoining the ranks of the IRIX users! Last machine I had was a deskside Onyx RE2 about ten years ago. I somewhat regret letting it go, but it wasn't getting the attention it deserved, and was rather a space/power hog! Perhaps the Seattle-area person who bought it from me (name now forgotten) is here on Nekochan and will bump into me again (or vice versa) at some point.

So that's me in SGI terms. :)

Best,
Aaron

Post subject: Re: Hello! Indigo WIP
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:27 pm 

Welcome to Nekochan Aaron!

:Indigo:R4000 :Indigo:R4000 :Indigo:R4000 :Indigo2:R4400 :Indigo2IMP:R4400 :Indigo2:R8000 :Indigo2IMP:R10000 :Indy:R4000PC :Indy:R4000SC :Indy:R4600 :Indy:R5000SC :O2:R5000 :O2:RM7000 :Octane:2xR10000 :Octane:R12000 :O200:2xR12000 :O200: - :O200:2x2xR10000 :Fuel:R16000 :O3x0:4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI, Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:09 pm 

Welcome Aaron!

You might want to have a look through the Indigo wiki page if you haven't already. That and some searching through the hardware forums here should turn up a lot of useful info as you try to build a working machine out of the parts you've got. Forum member Pentium is bringing up a Super cranky Indigo currently, and it's often good to share progress with somebody working on a similar revival in motivating yourself.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:55 pm 

Thanks guys! I hope things go smoothly, and I'll certainly share my progress. I'm hoping that, with HDs and OS in hand, things will come up quickly. The former owner claimed that the machines worked at the time the hard drivers were confiscated, but you know how that goes... especially after years of sitting on the shelf!

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:16 pm 

Aaron wrote:
... especially after years of sitting on the shelf!

Sounds like you can bet on the TOD batteries being dead, then. Pentium just went through that in this thread.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:29 pm 

smj wrote:
Sounds like you can bet on the TOD batteries being dead, then.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that! :) I'll surely end up modding the board to accept the common button cells. That certainly seems the way to go!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:55 am 

Aaron wrote:
smj wrote:
Sounds like you can bet on the TOD batteries being dead, then.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that! :) I'll surely end up modding the board to accept the common button cells. That certainly seems the way to go!

I do it with pretty much all of my machines, whether they use separate batteries, MOSTEKs or Dallases.

The #1 cells to exorcise are the rechargeable Ni-Cd ones, fortunately not found on SGIs but used on some VAXes. They leak...

The other thing to do with your Indigo is to re-seat the boards and PSU, then it should be good. Indigos are very sturdy once you get past the skins.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)