Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: New Indigo2 user
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:54 am 

Hey dudes, greetings from a new SGI owner.

I've just powered up an old Indigo2 I recently bought for the first time. It would all seem, I guess, to be working ok but as it doesn't have a Hard Disk in it, it's not good for much at the minute. I can though get in to the PROM command line and got some info out of it using 'hinv', It's a IP22, R4400 @ 200mhz, with 128mb of RAM and XL graphics.

It also came with a DAT Drive and CDROM:

scsi(0)tape(2) - ARCHIVE PYTHON 01931-XXX

scsi(0)cdrom(3) - TOSHIBA CDROM XM-5301TA

Presumably if I add a Hard Disk it'll become scsi(0)disk(1)??

I haven't been able to find out much about these, can somebody shed a bit of light as to the specs of them?

Entering 'version' gives: PROM Monitor SGI Version 5.3 Rev E IP22 Sep 28, 1995 (BE)

I guess that means it's pretty late for a Teal one? Seeing as the Purple ones were released earlier that year?

Many thanks :)

SJ

Post subject: Re: New Indigo2 user
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:21 pm 

Zoltar wrote:
Hey dudes, greetings from a new SGI owner.

Congrats.
Zoltar wrote:
scsi(0)tape(2) - ARCHIVE PYTHON 01931-XXX

DDS2 (4/8G) DAT drive -- with audio support assuming it's an SGI one.
Zoltar wrote:
scsi(0)cdrom(3) - TOSHIBA CDROM XM-5301TA

4x drive; wouldn't really want to install IRIX 6.5 from CDs with one of these but it's possible.
Zoltar wrote:
Presumably if I add a Hard Disk it'll become scsi(0)disk(1)??

It'll 'automatically' become ID 1 if you use the ID cable on the disk sled. Considering doing that is often not possible on new(ish) drives you may have to jumper the drive to something (eg 1) yourself.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:23 pm 

Ok dudes, after a few weeks of waiting, my SCSI 50 to 80 pin adapter finally arrived from Hong Kong so i've now installed a blank 10gb Hard Disk in it. After a bit of fiddling with the jumper on the adapter a rather noisy Seagate 10000rpm drive is now showing as scsi(0)disk(1) in 'hinv'.

Next, I need to get IRIX installed. I've tried using the line...

Code:
boot -f dksc(0,3,8)sashARCS dksc(0,3,7)stand/fx.ARCS --x

Which gives then gives me an error message:

Code:
dks0d3s8: Device not ready: Medium not present
Unable to load dksc(0,3,8)sashARCS: no recognizable file system on device.

The CD is one I burned in WinXP from an ISO image and i'm guessing that Alcohol 120 hasn't written it correctly. But i'm also concerned that the clunky old CDROM drive may not be working. Is there a way I can test the CD drive to make sure it actually works from within the PROM command line?

Many thanks :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:37 pm 

Zoltar wrote:
The CD is one I burned in WinXP from an ISO image and i'm guessing that Alcohol 120 hasn't written it correctly. But i'm also concerned that the clunky old CDROM drive may not be working. Is there a way I can test the CD drive to make sure it actually works from within the PROM command line?

If it's in ISO format, that's the problem right there. IRIX boot CDs need to be in EFS format, not ISO.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:42 pm 

What Josehill said plus..

Zoltar wrote:
Code:
dks0d3s8: Device not ready: Medium not present
Unable to load dksc(0,3,8)sashARCS: no recognizable file system on device.

Medium not present sounds pretty definite to me. You could burn another ISO of something else like NetBSD ( http://www.netbsd.org/ports/sgimips/ ) which supposedly supports IP22. If it was two for two I would check things like the surface of the CD-ROM looked different from a blank one, try different burning software, and if there was a jumper on the CD-ROM drive to enable 512 byte block addressing mode. Then if possible try a different CD-ROM drive.

Another alternative, if you have a PC and some ethernet is DINA.

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Current Apps -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:57 pm 

Thanks for that dudes.

I've had a search and found some stuff to do with issues burning the IRIX Installation Tools boot CD. The method I tried was using CDburnerXP with everything left to the default settings, as somebody else had success with. With no blank CDs left at home i'll have to wait until i've got more before I can try any different methods. In the meantime i'll do some reading on the network method.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:37 am 

Ok, i've just spent a bit of time trying various burning progams with no different results. With either the IRIX 6.5 Installation Tools CD or the 5.1 NetBSD ISO. I suspect that it's the CDROM drive that's had it. The sticker on it says it was made in December 1995 so it's perhaps hardly surprising when I think how many i've been through in my Windows machines over same amount of time. When I insert a disc the activity LED blinks for a second or two but I can't hear any whirring or other noises that indicates it actually doing anything. Trying 'ls dksc(0,3,8)/' just gives me the same 'Medium not present' error, as it does if I leave the CD tray open.

I guess i'll pick one up off of ebay fairly cheap although I still don't know for sure if any of the different burning programs i've tried has actually made a viable disc or not. Are there any specific makes/models that work well (or not) in my machine?

SJ

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:20 am 

The only tool that i ever used that reliably burned IRIX iso's is the Mac OS-X DiskUtility, simple as that. As for models i guess any mid-late 90's scsi drive brand will fit like TEAC, Pioneer, Plextor ... i think the only thing you want to check is to have the block size jumper for setting 512Kb as i remember right.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:43 am 

the indigo2 prom is smart enough to set the block size to 512 bytes if the drive supports the MODE SELECT BLOCKSIZE command.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:08 pm 

Well after some waiting i've finally got my hands on a replacement CDROM. I found a Teac CD-532S on eBay and fitted it today. And, low and behold, everything works fine! I burned the ISOs using Alcohol 120 at it's default settings on my Windows 7 machine and managed to install IRIX 6.5 without any issues at all.

Excellent! 8)

SJ

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:44 am 

well, let me be the first to congratulate you! (even though I skipped the whole waiting period and numerous trails and errors you had to go through: I just registered on this forum myself yesterday ;-)

Read your post with much interest as i also bought the exact same machine as you did last week and will pick it up tomorrow morning. A reinstall will be req. so i am looking forward to the usual endless stream of Catch-22 's while trying to get scsi cable's to fit, distributions to open, patches to load and network mounts to...eh. mount i guess.

I'll report back when it makes sense and (i do have some previous irix experience) if you have any practical questions about where to go from here with your fabulous machine I'd be happy to help.

Cheers,

Matt

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:17 am 

Welcome thijsatteiltje! Feel free to start your own thread once you pick up your new I2. Be sure to check the Nekochan wiki for details about the I2 *and* the how-to section. And as always, searches on the forums are great for turning up the inevitable dozen threads where somebody's already seen the problem you're having (if not given the solution).

Cheers,
--Steve.