Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:14 am 

Here's a lengthy tale of woe, I took my Octane completely apart for it's annual dust-out, and also to install 8 gig of RAM, only 6 of which work, oh well, anyway the machine was apart for a couple of days, don't know if that's got anything to do with the issue but when I put it back together I couldn't login, it would pop up a dialog saying my password had expired, and prompt me for a new one, then verify the new one, then ask me for the old one, then it would go back to the login screen, from which I would attempt to login only to get the exact same treatment. I can login via telnet, which also informs me that my password has expired, but once I set it to a new one it lets me in. But if I exit and login again, the new one doesn't work, I use the old one, and once again go through the expired routine and it lets me in. I tried to login as root with all the same problems, with of course the exception that I can't telnet in as root, nor can I su to root once I get in as me. W, as they say, TF?

While it was apart it was possessed by demons, right? :twisted:

So, just mount the disk elsewhere and clear the password fields I suppose, it's just so odd... :shock:

World domination! Or something...

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:20 am 

Rule One : never take apart a running Silicon Graphics computer :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:28 am 

I know! You can't put Humpty Dumpty back together again... :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:14 am 

Does your system disk have a write protect jumper that could have gotten shorted? Or maybe somehow it's not remounting the root filesystem read-write during boot-up... I dunno, probably not the answer but the password change sounds like it works but isn't getting written to disk or something.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:28 pm 

Everything looks perfectly normal when I telnet in, I can create files, all the files in my home directory look fine, but each time I telnet in it makes me change my password but it's definitely not writing the new one to either shadow or passwd:
Code:
vishnu@octane:/etc$ ls -lt passwd shadow
-r--r--r--  1 root sys 1223 Jan 11  2010 passwd
-r--------  1 root sys  552 Jan  1 07:55 shadow

This is with IRIX 6.5.30... :shock: :oops: :roll:

Oops edit: I just checked the system date it is writing to shadow the date has been reset to the beginning of the epoch! :shock:

Code:
vishnu@octane:/etc$ date
Thu Jan  1 08:02:47 CST 1970

What the hell? :!:

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:03 pm 

Looks like your Dallas (RTC) ran out of juice...

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2:(2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:34 pm 

Guess I'll be taking it apart again... :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:35 pm 

Got my new Dallas DS1687-5 chip from Digikey, a mere $14 US and change, put it in (it's socketed, easy as pie) and booted to single user mode, reset the system clock from the beginning of the epoch, which is apparently where it goes when the Dallas chip battery gives out, also reset my password and root's, booted back to the normal runlevel and everything's fine.

So, to summarize, the main symptoms of a dead Dallas chip battery are: The system complains that your password has "expired(aged)" - but when you try to set a new one through the provided dialogs it doesn't work and you end up locked out of your account, i.e. the system won't accept either password, the new one or the old one. In my case I was able to telnet in (that's gotta be a security hole) whereupon I noticed that the file date of /etc/shadow, set from my recent though seemingly failed password changing attempts, was Jan 1 1970, which, when I posted about that, is where jan-jaap told me my Dallas chip battery had died. Thanks jan-jaap! :mrgreen: