Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:28 am 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the 6.5.22 overlay set, which I had already, but that failed as well citing oodles of conflicts due to me not having the correct IDF CD. My SGI's now sit at 6.5.16 as I try to scrounge an IDF 1.3 CD from somewhere (university computer clubs, local hacker clubs etc.)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:24 am 

bvdwiel wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried the 6.5.22 overlay set, which I had already, but that failed as well citing oodles of conflicts due to me not having the correct IDF CD. My SGI's now sit at 6.5.16 as I try to scrounge an IDF 1.3 CD from somewhere (university computer clubs, local hacker clubs etc.)
Since no one else has answered (and this is a response to an earlier post), I'll go ahead.

First, for now I'd strongly suggest separating the IRIX upgrade (to 6.5.22) and the installation of MIPSPro (or the IDF 1.3 CD). After you get 6.5.22 up and running you can tackle installing MIPSPro 7.4.

If you're more accustomed to apt-get or Synaptic, the IRIX Software Manager can seem somewhat less intuitive. SGI probably expected that most (if not all) users attempting to upgrade to a new IRIX sub-revision would have a complete set of the IRIX base CDs. You probably saw 'oodles of conflicts' because Software Manager assumed you wanted to add all of the software subsystems normally included in a default install - including those deselected, removed or not installed by who ever originally owned the system. So, unfortunately, without the appropriately matching parts of an IRIX 6.5 Base Install set, you cannot add software or other features that are not already installed on your hard drive.

The "default" install behaviour of Software Manager is to include *new* software:
TechPubs wrote:
Once you specify the location of software to the Software Manager, it makes these assumptions:
    - You want to automatically install the default set of products, so the LED is lit on the Default Installation button.
    - You want to install all products that are newer versions of software that is already installed.
    - You want to install all the default subsystems of the new software that is available but is not yet installed on your system.
To reduce the number conflicts you might look to see what install options are selected when you run Software Manager and direct it to only upgrade currently installed software. One method would be to open <or access the contents of> each of the upgrade overlay disks; then select the "Customize Installation" tab. When the Customize Installation panel is open, drop-down the "Install" menu <on the toolbar> and mark "Select Recommended Upgrades" to see if that results in fewer conflicts. The process is described in detail here: http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... 756-PARENT This method should allow you to upgrade the IRIX 6.5.16 software subsystems currently installed on your system to 6.5.22.

BTW - If you do a live install (one with IRIX loaded), you must install Patch5086 (freely downloadable from SGI's Supportfolio site).

It's also probably worth re-emphasizing that if you want to wipe the drive and start over, a fresh install *cannot* be done with just the 6.5.22 overlay disks that SGI provides public access to.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:02 pm 

Let me clarify my situation. I actually have the original 1998 set of CD's which is complete, as it is the original that came with the O2 when it was originally bought. I also have a 6.5.16 overlay set, as good as new, which I also got with the machine itself. Works like a charm, but upgrading past that point doesn't regardless of whether I install patch 5086 or not. Neither through the running system or from the boot ROM. I'm not daunted by the packaging system in IRIX and have tried a number of combinations including, of course, the default settings. Nothing I did so far helps, because the upgrade somehow starts refusing my original 1998 IDF CD telling me it wasn't made for this version of IRIX. The MIPSPro part hasn't yet come into play at all for me yet.. I'm still totally stumped at upgrading past 6.5.16.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:54 pm 

bvdwiel wrote:
the upgrade somehow starts refusing my original 1998 IDF CD telling me it wasn't made for this version of IRIX.

Have a look at that CD from the running IRIX system, I bet you need to point 'inst' to /CDROM/dist6.5 or /CDROM/dist/dist6.5 instead of /CDROM/dist. Same for NFS.

Different versions of the IDF 1.1 CD were available for IRIX 6.2, 6.3, 6.4 and 6.5. It was bundled with IRIX 6.5, but usually came with MIPSpro. Actually, few people realize that the IDF and IDL CDs were unbundled from MIPSpro to make it easier for people to put GCC on their system... Anyway, IDF 1.1 for IRIX 6.5 is part# 812-0757-002. Versions for other IRIX releases won't work.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2:(2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:02 pm 

bvdwiel wrote:
Let me clarify my situation. I actually have the original 1998 set of CD's which is complete, as it is the original that came with the O2 when it was originally bought. I also have a 6.5.16 overlay set, as good as new, which I also got with the machine itself. Works like a charm, but upgrading past that point doesn't regardless of whether I install patch 5086 or not. Neither through the running system or from the boot ROM.
Very nice that you have a full install set, but the "Select Recommended Upgrades" method should only upgrade those bits of IRIX that are already included in your current install. If you use that method there's no need to open any CD's but the 6.5.22 overlay set, and you should see few, if any, conflicts. Those that do appear should be fairly transparent to resolve (as an example, do you really want Netscape or the equally ancient Freeware version of java?)
bvdwiel wrote:
I'm not daunted by the packaging system in IRIX and have tried a number of combinations including, of course, the default settings. Nothing I did so far helps, because the upgrade somehow starts refusing my original 1998 IDF CD telling me it wasn't made for this version of IRIX....... I'm still totally stumped at upgrading past 6.5.16.
You are far from being the first, and you certainly won't be the last to have experienced that dilemma, but it can be made to work (or nobody here would be running an upgraded version of IRIX 6.5 on an O2). On the odd chance you missed (or misunderstood) my earlier mention of the non-standard install path, unless you manually change the install path for the IDF 1.1 CD (part number 812-0757-002) from /CDROM/dist to /CDROM/dist/dist6.5 you'll get the
Code:
This software distribution is not meant to install on the version of IRIX currently running on this machine.  Sorry.
error message. Ditto when you attempt to open the ONC3-NFS V3 CD.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:34 am 

Thanks for your clarification and all the effort put into helping IRIX beginners like me get going. I guess I probably did misunderstand your earlier post somewhat. A kind soul provided me with an IDF 1.3 CD as well, so I'm sure things will work out properly this weekend one way or the other. I'll report back on my progress then.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:49 am 

I am following this post with a lot of interest, because having the compilers working in my O2 is also quite nightmarish for me :). Good luck!

Lock bar; SGI microphone.
Mods: PSU Noctua fan; internal Toshiba SD-M1401 DVD-ROM; Adaptec AIC-7880P SCSI card.

_REKIEM_I7_
Seasonic X 1250W PSU / Intel I7 2600k 4 x 5,00 Ghz / 2 x Gainward 2Gb GTX 560Ti Phantom 2 / 32 Gb DDR3 / Intel x25-M 160 Gb SSD and 10 extra Tb
_Lazarus_
2 x Intel Xeon MP Gallatin 3,00 Ghz with 4 MB cache / Zotac 512Mb GT430 / 12 Gb DDR266 ECC / 4 x Maxtor Atlas 146GB 10K V U320

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:47 am 

[[C|-|E]] wrote:
having the compilers working in my O2 is also quite nightmarish for me :).
So what's responsible for your lack of peaceful sleep - getting the compilers installed, or getting them to work?

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:48 am 

I had quite a lot of problems installing the software, many of them were similar to bvdwiel issues. However, after reading the post, I will give it a try again, hehe :).

Mods: PSU Noctua fan; internal Toshiba SD-M1401 DVD-ROM; Adaptec AIC-7880P SCSI card.

_REKIEM_I7_
Seasonic X 1250W PSU / Intel I7 2600k 4 x 5,00 Ghz / 2 x Gainward 2Gb GTX 560Ti Phantom 2 / 32 Gb DDR3 / Intel x25-M 160 Gb SSD and 10 extra Tb
_Lazarus_
2 x Intel Xeon MP Gallatin 3,00 Ghz with 4 MB cache / Zotac 512Mb GT430 / 12 Gb DDR266 ECC / 4 x Maxtor Atlas 146GB 10K V U320

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:53 am 

Well I'll be damned! :o Came home from work today, set up a Linux install server in a VM according to the instructions I found on sgidepot, dumped all my CD's in there plus the 6.5.22 overlays. First installed from the foundation set, which worked properly, added patch 5086. I extracted all the /dist folders from the 6.5.22 into a single folder on my server and pointed inst to it, resolved one single minor conflict and cooked dinner. As I type this my O2 is happily running IRIX 6.5.22 now. I really like the subtle improvements such as anti-aliased icons. I'm a very happy camper now and would like to thank al you guys again for all the help! Tomorrow I'll dig into actually getting my C++ compiler working.. for now I'm off for some quality family time. :D :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:01 pm 

Corn-gratulations! You should have a few days of peace til you get the nagging impulse to "upgrade" to 6.5.30... 8-)

World domination! Or something...

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:15 am 

.22 is better than .30 IMO. Sometime inbetween those releases SGI managed to bungle up the print system and slow everything down without offering a lot of new features.

"The Barbecue Ghost and Fernando Torres are friends."

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:31 am 

guardian452 wrote:
.22 is better than .30 IMO. Sometime inbetween those releases SGI managed to bungle up the print system and slow everything down without offering a lot of new features.

A bit of clarification about the printing system: SGI made ESP EasyPrint/CUPS the default print system, but you can keep the old Impressario print system without any problems. Just make sure that you have selected/deselected the right versions whenever you do an upgrade/installation.

I have 6.5.30 on my O2, and, in general, it is fine, but folks who run video apps and other specialized bits have reported some performance issues. There have been a few threads on Nekochan discussing the pros and cons of going past 6.5.30; might be worth looking for them before making the jump to a later release.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:18 am 

guardian452 wrote:

SGI dumped a bunch of third-party licensed bits as well as stuff that they deemed too troublesome to maintain between .22 and .23. They didn't bungle it - they, erm, "re-imagined the core software systems for greater customer value and options" or something like that.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:06 pm 

I noticed some performance differences between Irix 6.5.22 and the Irix 6.5.29 I have now. They are not huge, but still. In fact, I have Irix 6.5.29 just because I own an original CD set, hehe. Otherwise, I think I would have gone for 6.5.22 or 6.5.23 :).

_REKIEM_I7_
_Lazarus_