Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:03 am 

Hey SGI-experts. I'm catching quite a bit of flak on the 'What do you use your SGI for?'-thread for running NetBSD on an O2 and still calling the box an O2. Regardless of how anyone stands on the issue: I'm running NetBSD because my IRIX skills aren't up to the task of getting a proper C++ compiler running. MipsPRO requires a license which I don't have, so I have my eye on GCC 4.x because that's free but I'm open to other no-cost suggestions. I know compiling GCC 4.x takes literally days on an unaided O2, but that's ok with me. My main problem at this point seems to be bootstrapping GCC since I have no compiler to compile it with..

What I intend to do, is build a small game using SDL to run on as many platforms as possible. Nothing big or serious, just to practice my proramming skills and learn about other platforms. Any and all tips are welcome but I would really like to stick to using SDL 1.2.x and SQLite 3 if at all possible and I really don't have any serious money to spend on this.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:25 am 

GCC 3 and 4 are both in nekocware.
GCC 3 requires IRIX developer foundation tools which does not in itself require a license..
GCC 4 requires gnu binutils which is also in nekoware.

I have legitimate MIPSpro licenses granted to me by SGI under the defunct developer program but at the risk of incurring the roth of the powers that be here....
There are illegal copies of MIPSpro floating about on ftp sites everywhere and there is a permanent uncounted Hotel Alpha Xray FORCE license floating around which took me about oh say 5 minutes of creative googling to find.

I run various Linux and BSDes on intel hardware but I wonder why people bother on exotic hardware when there is an option for an exotic O/S. Especially considering all the things that don't work because the Linux code you are trying to compile includes inline assembler or assumes little endian or is otherwise tried to Intel hardware. :roll:

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Current Apps -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Last edited by PymbleSoftware on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:48 am 

The reason why I bother with exotic hardware is because I was a freebie originally destined for the shredder. Apart from that, thanks for your response. Sadly though, I haven't been able to get IRIX upgraded beyond 6.5.16 which isn't enough for Nekoware. I have the overlays for 6.5.22 as downloaded freely from SGI and complete set of foundation CD's from 1998 (over 10 CD's). In theory that should be enough, but the upgrade doesn't seem to like my development libraries and/or developer tools CD stating: this CD isn't intended for this version if IRIX. Leaving me with well over 100 conflicts which I can only "resolve" by not installing the conflicting bits.. which is almost the entire upgrade. It doesn't matter whether I perform this upgrade from 6.5.0 or from 6.5.16 (which I also have overlays for, which do actually work). Once I get my system beyond 6.5.16 I'll certainly have a look at Nekoware.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:36 pm 

You have to install patch 5086 before the 6.5.22 overlays if you have a release pre-6.5.21 as stated here and in a lot of posts in this forum.

Take a look on this wiki page to clarify: http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/IRIX_Installation_and_Customization

http://unixverse.blogspot.com

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:42 pm 

bvdwiel wrote:
the upgrade doesn't seem to like my development libraries and/or developer tools CD stating: this CD isn't intended for this version if IRIX. Leaving me with well over 100 conflicts which I can only "resolve" by not installing the conflicting bits.. which is almost the entire upgrade. It doesn't matter whether I perform this upgrade from 6.5.0 or from 6.5.16 (which I also have overlays for, which do actually work).
Welcome to nekochan bvdwiel. I think you might find a ready (but not so obvious) solution to that particular problem.

Certain IRIX install CDs require a change from the default /CDROM/dist search path (usually because they contain products for more than one major IRIX revision). The 6.5_Development_Libraries CD uses the default /CDROM/dist path. If you're trying to install a version of MIPSPro earlier than 7.4, when you insert the Development_Foundation 1.1 CD, you'll need to direct the installer to /CDROM/dist/dist6.5 (ditto on the /CDROM/dist/dist6.5 path if you attempt to install NFS).

If you're trying to install MIPSPro 7.4, as I recall you'll need the Development Foundation 1.3 CD (Dev Foundation 1.1 or 1.2 shipped with all but the most recent sets of IRIX install libraries) BTW, just to keep us on our toes, SGI switched the install path of the 1.3 Dev Foundation back to /CDROM/dist.

He a screenshot of the directory structure of the Development Libraries where all the installation files are in the first level /dist directory:
Attachment:
Dev_Lib.png
Dev_Lib.png [ 31.24 KiB | Viewed 828 times ]
and the Development Foundation 1.1 CD where the IRIX 6.5 install files are located in an additional /dist/dist6.5 subdirectory:
Attachment:
Dev_Found.png
Dev_Found.png [ 23.46 KiB | Viewed 828 times ]

The /CDROM/dist/inst.README file on the Dev Foundation 1.3 CD offers basic install instructions:
Code:
The MIPSpro 7.4. Compiler Release
=================================

Each MIPSpro 7.4 Compiler Language is packaged on 3 CD's.

1. MIPSpro 7.4 Compiler Execution Envrionment (EOE) CD
2. Irix Development Foundation (IDF) 1.3 CD
3. MIPSpro C (or C++, F77, F90) Compiler CD

Installation under /
====================

This example assumes that the dev and irix_dev
images have already been installed. These base images
are located on the IRIX Development Libraries CD (IDL)
and updated with each version of 6.5.x on the
Irix 6.5.x Installation Tools and Overlays CD's.

To install the MIPSpro 7.4 compiler products
on top of an earlier MIPSpro release under /
use the inst command as follows:

(NOTE: This will remove the previous versions of the compiler)

#1  With the MIPSpro 7.4 Compiler EOE CD in CDROM drive

#inst -f /CDROM/dist

Inst> keep * (or the shorthand k *)

If this is a scratch install do:
Inst> install installable (or the shorthand i A)

Or if this is an upgrade do:
Inst> install Upgrade (or the shorthand i U)

Inst> go

#2  With the IRIX Development Foundation (IDF) 1.3 CD
    in the CDROM drive

Inst> from /CDROM/dist

Inst> go

NOTE:
If running C or C++ on IRIX 6.5.18 or later you MUST
INSTALL patchSG0004605 from the Irix Development Foundation
(IDF) 1.3 CD. That patch is NOT installable on systems
prior to 6.5.18.

#3  With the MIPSpro 7.4 C CD in the
    CDROM drive

Inst> go

To install other compilers go back to step #3.

For more information, see the installation instructions
in the Irix Development Foundation Release notes.
(#relnotes idf 1)

If you decide to try IRIX and have any more issues, feel free to post questions on nekochan. I think you'll find most of the membership would be more than willing to offer help.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:19 pm 

Minor correction:

Certain IRIX install CDs require a change from the default /CDROM/dist search path. These CDs have products for multiple versions of IRIX on them in different subdirectories, and SGI flubbed the script to automatically select the correct subdirectory. After realizing this they decided it wasn't worth remastering, so the end-users are left to sort it out- however SGI did put notes in the relevant documentation, something that certain other companies can't be bothered to do. The 6.5_Development_Libraries CD uses the default /CDROM/dist path (because the autoselect works), but when you insert the Development_Foundation 1.2 CD, you'll need to direct the installer to /CDROM/dist/dist6.5 (ditto on the /CDROM/dist/dist6.5 path if you attempt to install NFS).

NFS might work with the autoselect in some variants, can't recall.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:20 am 

Thanks for the extensive replies! I will certainly look into this, probably sometime this weekend. I'm not going to wipe my O2 just yet, but my Octane should be a more than willing subject for this experiment. ;)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:14 am 

And don't forget to backup your license file before... just in case !

:Octane2: Dual R14k 600 V6, 2Go, HD (173Go, 34Go) (carbon)
:Octane: R10k 400 MXE, 1280Mo (lithium) / 2xR10k 300 SSE,... (fluorine)
:O2: R10k 195, 512Mo (hydrogen) / R5k 180, 512Mo (sodium) / R5k 180->200 motherboard and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: R10k 195, HighImpact, 160Mo (helium) / R4400 125, Extreme, 160Mo (boron)
:O200: :O200: twin O200, 4xR12k 270, 2Go, HD (4x18Go) (beryllium)
:Indigo: R4k 100, 80Mo, LG1, 9GB HD, Python 25601 tape (magnesium])
:4D70G: 4D70GT... my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques)
See the hinv/gfxinfo posts here.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:32 am 

bvdwiel wrote:
Thanks for the extensive replies! I will certainly look into this, probably sometime this weekend. I'm not going to wipe my O2 just yet, but my Octane should be a more than willing subject for this experiment. ;)

Why wipe? Midsize SCSI SCA drives can be had very cheaply.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:58 pm 

SAQ wrote:

That's one of the beauties of an O2. It is sooo easy to swap out disks. 6.3 on one, 6.5 on another, Loonix on another if you are so inclined. Slide out old, slide in a new one and away you go.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:32 pm 

hamei wrote:
SAQ wrote:

That's one of the beauties of an O2. It is sooo easy to swap out disks. 6.3 on one, 6.5 on another, Loonix on another if you are so inclined. Slide out old, slide in a new one and away you go.

Durn near any SGI has easy swap capabilities.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:47 am 

I tried again and failed.. I really do need that Dev foundation 1.3 CD or I fear I might get nowhere. How did this work for people who bought directly from SGI? Did they simply get those CD's in the mail when they came out? The highest I'm able to get my hands on is version 1.2. :cry:

I got all my SGI's now sitting at IRIX 6.5.16 which sadly is not enough for Nekoware, no SSH and no working NFS and no licensed compiler to bootstrap my own tools. Something tells me I'm not getting the whole IRIX experience here. ;)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:09 am 

I did this installation this weekend. To install the Development Foundation and Libraries I also had to open all three Overlays with Software Manager. Then the conflicts number went down from 100 to 6. I also opened the Foundation discs but I'm not sure if this are needed (i installed some more software at the same time)

http://unixverse.blogspot.com

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:45 pm 

bvdwiel wrote:
I got all my SGI's now sitting at IRIX 6.5.16 which sadly is not enough for Nekoware, no SSH and no working NFS and no licensed compiler to bootstrap my own tools. Something tells me I'm not getting the whole IRIX experience here. ;)

If you register and create an account, you can freely download an 6.5.22m Overlay (upgrade) CD set from SGI's Supportfolio: https://support.sgi.com/ IRIX 6.5.21 is the minimum requirement for nekoware, so 6.5.22 would solve that problem.

The downloadable 6.5.22 Overlay set consists of three CD images, you can use them to upgrade a current install, but they can't be used to do a from scratch install. While you're at Supportfolio, but sure to download Patch 5086 - if you perform a live update (one with IRIX running) you'll need to apply the patch first, if you do a (less new-user friendly) update from the PROM miniroot, the patch isn't required.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:13 am 

AFAIK Dev Foundations 1.3 shipped with MIPSpro 7.4, and possibly with later versions of the IRIX full set. It isn't available for download, so there must be some way you can use later IRIXes with GCC and IDF 1.2.