Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:18 pm 

Hello all, I recently acquired an Indy R4600 133Mhz and installed a fresh copy of IRIX 6.2 on it. There seems to be a few odd problems that have me stumped.

For some reason NFS is very buggy when mounting dirs from a DINA server. Everything mounts ok but copying or even doing "ls -l" results in a hang that never ends. I also had problems netbooting from DINA, it would only copy a small part of the miniroot before timing out. This did not occur when booting from a separate OpenBSD box. The same DINA install worked great for a previous Octane.

Using Sharity Light to mount a windows share works but as soon as the program completes, a message pops up telling me Famd has stopped and my system needs rebooted. Once that happens the file manager also dies but the share itself is fine.

The website for tgcware recommends a list of patches that should be installed. http://jupiterrise.com/tgcware/irix62_patchguide.html I logged into supportfolio and under 6.2 there are patches but none match what tgcware suggests. Which ones should I install?

The xmms package from tgcware is listed as mips3 however its really a mips4 binary and will not run. I gave mpg321 a try but its missing libpthreads and will not run either. I guess the patches will fix that?

Things are off to a slow start...

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:06 am 

You should install the relevant IRIX 6.2 "Required/Recommended" patch sets. They used to be on public FTP and widely mirrored, but not anymore. I've put them on my FTP server:

6.2 POSIX patches, 6.2 Required/Recommended for Indigo, Indy, ChallengeS & All-Indigo2, and finish it off with the 6.2 Indigo, Indy, ChallengeS & All-Indigo2 Y2K patches.

I recommend installing them one by one, from a miniroot. If you have enough disk space, you could unpack one tardist in a directory ('/dist') on the harddisk. If you boot the miniroot from the 6.2 CDROM, you can escape to a shell ('admin > shell'), and see where the harddisk is mounted (I think under /root), go back into inst and point it to that directory ('from /root/dist').

Alternatively, the patch sets contain their own miniroot, but it must be net-booted.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2:(2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:45 am 

Thank you, I have downloaded and installed all the relevant patches. The install script was easy, for some reason I thought it would be conflict hell.

Oh and the tgcware xmms package is now fixed.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:01 am 

astouffer wrote:
Thank you, I have downloaded and installed all the relevant patches. The install script was easy, for some reason I thought it would be conflict hell.

Oh and the tgcware xmms package is now fixed.

Yep, with Nekoware and tgcware you just need to let someone know when something isn't working. I haven't built in a while, but I imagine that I'm not alone in using a MIPS-4 for building, and some software has certain assumptions hard-coded in Makefiles and such and the result is something that might not be MIPS-3 or MIPS-1 or whatever.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)