Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:20 pm 

Hi all :D.I have a SGI fuel machine that installed IRIX 6.5. Can i install Linux Redhat 5.4 on that machine?. Because i have some license applications base on linux.
Pls give your comment :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:06 pm 

metrogyl wrote:
I have a SGI fuel machine that installed IRIX 6.5. Can i install Linux Redhat 5.4 on that machine?.

It hasn't been updated since 2010, but the IP35 wiki at linux-mips.org advises the answer is (or was) no. http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/IP35
linux-mips.org wrote:
IP35 is the CPU board in Silicon Graphics Origin 300, Origin 3000, Onyx 3000, Fuel and Tezro systems..........IP35 is not yet supported by Linux. A port initially targeting only the Origin 300 has been started. So far the kernel is booting uniprocessor and making it all the way to mounting the root filesystem which fails because there is no functioning PCI support yet. PCI is working to the degree were it can detect devices but its resource management is still broken, interrupt routing does not exist and the kernel fails to read the NIC (Number-In-a-Can which contains the MAC address) of IOC3 cards.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:08 am 

you should read the release notes, they usually state what kind of machines are supported
I guess that only "classical" (non origin-based) SGIs are supported, i.e. Indigo R4k, Indigo² R4k, Indy, maybe O2

btw where did you get it? how many CDs are there? would you mind sharing it? :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:33 am 

I think the last redhat version to support mips was somewhere around 7.0 circa 2000. Keep your eyes on Gentoo linux for future support, but chances are slim your fuel will be running it anytime soon.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:46 pm 

zmttoxics wrote:
I think the last redhat version to support mips was somewhere around 7.0 circa 2000. Keep your eyes on Gentoo linux for future support, but chances are slim your fuel will be running it anytime soon.

Yep, SGI is no longer "cool", so the penguinheads don't want to have anything to do with it. SGI released all their documentation for FastForward, which is why the IP22/24/20 class machines are so well supported (and I suspect they did some in-house work as well).

I'd look for NetBSD support before Linux support.

BTW it's likely you'd be less than impressed. SGI support only included a few graphics options, and you can get machines off the curb for free that will run rings around your Fuel for many tasks.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:13 pm 

SAQ wrote:
Yep, SGI is no longer "cool", so the penguinheads don't want to have anything to do with it.
Oh I think there's probably more than a few who'd think it's cool - and that probably includes at least a few that are regulars here. I think it more likely that the idea has faded because it became obvious sometime ago that SGI couldn't or wouldn't release the necessary documentation to support development on later generation hardware.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:24 pm 

:D the link of Recondas is very details. I think sgi fuel not yet supported Linux. And from supporter of SGI: "You cannot install any Linux on to a SGI Fuel system. It is not supported.
That is, only IRIX is supported on a SGI Fuel system". So now, i cannot use that machine. Very very waste :(. Some licensed applications base-on Linux not be installed on SGI Fuel. Thanks you for your comments.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:34 pm 

metrogyl wrote:
So now, i cannot use that machine. Very very waste :(.

So sell it in the hardware for sale forum on this site. Some people prefer IRIX to Linux and you can install Linux on just about any Intel stuff you drag off the curb. If you lived in Australia I would buy it at a fair and reasonable price.

R.

BTW:
metrogyl wrote:
Some licensed applications base-on Linux

And about licensed applications..

at the top of the page it is wrote:
Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Current Apps -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:06 pm 

metrogyl wrote:

There are some pretty cool SGI machines that run Linux. If you don't need graphics, look for an Altix. If you need graphics, then a Prism. Neither of those go for too much money, so you could possibly trade your Fuel in on one. In fact, it's possible that your Fuel has some valuable parts, so I would not toss it aside without checking the hinv first ... although recondas has probably already checked this out. That boy don't miss too many opportunities ...

"penguinheads" -- nice one, SAQ :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:45 am 

recondas wrote:
SAQ wrote:
Yep, SGI is no longer "cool", so the penguinheads don't want to have anything to do with it.
Oh I think there's probably more than a few who'd think it's cool - and that probably includes at least a few that are regulars here. I think it more likely that the idea has faded because it became obvious sometime ago that SGI couldn't or wouldn't release the necessary documentation to support development on later generation hardware.

It just seems that the Linux community is quite willing to drop stuff and rush off after the latest "neat thing". Try to find a recent distro for Alpha or SPARC32 (both of which do have docs available courtesy of the respective companies, though SPARC32 is, um, a bit "convoluted"), and what's with the "we can't decide on a main C library" deal? Yes, there are some neat ideas coming out of Linux, and they do have some of the top filesystems in FOSSland, but they're frustrating to keep up with and I firmly believe that stability suffers. NetBSD's a little slower and more methodical, but they still have VAX - that's commitment.

SGI just couldn't be bothered to release tech docs for Origin3-derived machines. Altix support is out there, so probably all that is needed is BEDROCK and ODYSSEY info, neither of which are likely to be of value to any current competitors - but it would take time and money to locate, sanitize and release the docs, and there is about nil chance of any ROI. Personally, I wouldn't run Linux on SGIMIPS anyway - Linux does just fine on PCs, so all you'd get from the IRIS is a reduced software library and porting hassles. IRIX gives you some neat (though very outdated) features. In basic poking around it seems that the IRIX setup for doing multimedia would have been a much nicer, lighter-weight way to go than the hodgepodge of easily-broken setups that Linux uses (PulseAudio, aRts, ESD, ...)

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:38 am 

hamei wrote:
metrogyl wrote:

There are some pretty cool SGI machines that run Linux. If you don't need graphics, look for an Altix. If you need graphics, then a Prism. Neither of those go for too much money, so you could possibly trade your Fuel in on one. In fact, it's possible that your Fuel has some valuable parts, so I would not toss it aside without checking the hinv first ... although recondas has probably already checked this out. That boy don't miss too many opportunities ...

"penguinheads" -- nice one, SAQ :D

Only if his apps support IA64...

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:05 pm 

zmttoxics wrote:
Only if his apps support IA64...

He didn't bother to say ... so I didn't bother to worry about it :D