Restoring an Indy, have some questions

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Glaurung

Re: Restoring an Indy, have some questions

Unread postby Glaurung » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:58 pm

uunix wrote:
Glaurung wrote:Good to know. But the thought of setting up a VM, setting up an ethernet network (everything is Wifi here), getting everything talking to each other, etc...

So I was thinking when you first posted that you had bought the Indy to get the keyboard & Mouse for another SGI?
[...]
Do you have another SGI?

No, I got the keyboard because I wanted a PC style keyboard with cream dampened alps switches. I am a keyboard snob.

mgtremaine wrote:As far as HardDrives go you can get a 50pin to SCA (80pin) adapter for $10-ish and that opens up a whole range of good fast, quiet drives. 50pin SCSI drivers are all pretty ancient at this point so picking up one of those adapters is going to save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

-Mike

Yeah the hard drive selection seems to be either 1) something so ancient it's a miracle it still works, or 2) something much newer with a 10k rpm hard drive that will proably be way too hot for the Indy and could well sound like a fighter jet on takeoff. I'm considering springing for a scsi2sd adapter. It's not that much more expensive than a new hard drive and I won't need a cable adapter.
Last edited by Glaurung on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glaurung

Unread postby Glaurung » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:16 pm

The video adapter came, and the Indy appears to be happy - no error messages on screen other than (obviously) whining about not having a hard drive to boot from. So the time has come to get a drive and decide how I'm putting the OS on it.

While I had the thing on the table for testing, I decided to open it up and see how much RAM was installed and the like. And (shamefaced) I could not get the damn thing to open. I read the instructions in the manual and I watched a youtube demo of opening the case. As best I can tell, either you need to be a gorilla to get the damn thing open, or else mine has gotten stuck shut somehow.

If pulling up and forward on the finger ledge at the back does nothing, what's the next step - use a screwdriver to pry it loose and pray I don't break anything? tap on the finger ledge very gently with a mallet? pack the !@#$ thing up and sell it on to someone who owns a pet gorilla?

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:34 pm

No! There's a specific way to open the case, and I also didn't understand it at first.

The first important thing is that you need to turn the Indy so the "latch" is on the right side. (Part of the secret is that there is no latch at all! There is just a pair of tabs that you force apart). You are going to use the index and middle fingers of your right hand to pull the blue tab on the cover, while your right thumb pushes the black tab. With your left hand, reach under the left side and push right on the metal base. Nothing goes up, the movement is strictly left-to-right and right-to-left.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Glaurung

Unread postby Glaurung » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:05 pm

robespierre wrote:No! There's a specific way to open the case, and I also didn't understand it at first.

The first important thing is that you need to turn the Indy so the "latch" is on the right side. (Part of the secret is that there is no latch at all! There is just a pair of tabs that you force apart). You are going to use the index and middle fingers of your right hand to pull the blue tab on the cover, while your right thumb pushes the black tab. With your left hand, reach under the left side and push right on the metal base. Nothing goes up, the movement is strictly left-to-right and right-to-left.

Thank you very much. I finally got it open and must say the instructions in the manual were extremely misleading.

Ah, the joys of the era when SIMMs did not have their capacity printed on them in a human readable format.

So, having looked inside and pulled up info in the Command Monitor, this is what I've got:

RAM, 160mb. one bank of 16, one bank of 128 (I assume the latter is the set of SIMMs with 24 (!) chips per stick).
CPU, R4600SC.
Indy 8-bit graphics (aka Newport). No add on cards installed.
I think a Nidec Power supply (it definitely did not say Sony).
And the PRAM battery is not dead, because it registers a real ethernet address and not FFFF (yay!).

Still waffling about what SCSI drive to get. I am open to suggestions for quiet-ish, cool running SCSI drives that can be had for an affordable price (say $50 or less on Ebay). Perferably a new or new old stock drive.

astouffer

Unread postby astouffer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:10 pm

I've had good luck buying Sun branded 72Gb SCA drives. They are quiet and run cool. Those older 10k rpm drives would cook an egg.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:15 am

astouffer wrote:I've had good luck buying Sun branded 72Gb SCA drives. They are quiet and run cool. Those older 10k rpm drives would cook an egg.

Just look up the specs of the Seagate / Fujitsu / whatever type disk. Look for 'FD bearings'. Not only are they more quiet than the older bearings, they age better too.

Something like a Seagate 15K.3 will not make more noise than a consumer SATA disk when it's idling. Only the seeking noises are more aggressive.

I simply standardized on Seagate 10K.7 (last of the 10K series) and 15K.3 and newer. Now I don't even need to look for specs anymore :)
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”