file icons disappearance

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

file icons disappearance

Unread postby hamei » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:47 am

Every once in a while fm decides to display files only as text listings. Icons don't show up. There was a trick to fool it into displaying the icons once again but I've forgotten what it is ... Anyone out there not have oldtimer's ?

canavan

Re: file icons disappearance

Unread postby canavan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:09 am

I don't know about any magic, but whenever I test some icons or rules, I just restart fm with

Code: Select all

killall fm; (fm -b &)

duck

Unread postby duck » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:15 am

I've never encountered all of them missing. The icon for A|W IFF files is somehow busted on my system and doesn't show though. Some day I should find out why.
:Octane: halo, octane
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:23 am

canavan wrote:I don't know about any magic, but whenever I test some icons or rules, I just restart fm with

Code: Select all

killall fm; (fm -b &)

Thanks, that may solve a different problem I occasionally have ... would probably solve this one too but

My own bad description. Occasionally when I have several file windows open, for no apparent reason one of them will suddenly decide to display as a text list of files. Hmm. Force it to display as icons and nothing shows. Back to 'display as a list' and everything shows up fine. Display as icons, nothing there. I figured out some little gimmick to make the window display as icons again without a logout - login sequence or restarting fm.

Just can't remember what it was :(

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”