Recommendations for Wireless access point

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
zafunk

Recommendations for Wireless access point

Unread postby zafunk » Sat May 28, 2005 6:21 am

I'm currently using an Apple Airport Basestation (The early model, not extreme) and quite frankly, it sucks. I lose connectivity more and more often these days. Even if I'm in close proximity to it. The Airport wouldn't have been my first choice, but it came with the iBook I bought at the same time.

Anyone have any recommendations for a new basestation? Any models I should avoid?

Currently we have 2 iBooks and an occasional work PC. Not that it should make a difference, but I thought i'd throw that in incase anyone has encountered issues with Macs on their wireless network.
Last edited by zafunk on Sat May 28, 2005 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

hamei

Re: Recommendations for Wireless access point

Unread postby hamei » Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am

zafunk wrote:Currently we have 2 iBooks and a occasionaly work PC.

My new place has several occasionally work peecees. Wonderful machines, aren't they ? We've got one 2.8 ghz Acer thing that I swear is slower than my r10k-250 O2. And I think the O2 is a certified dog ... Plus the useless peecee can't even do simple models without crashing. Some day you guys are going to read about me strangling an idiot manager with his own tie. The fucking nitwits are terminally happy to buy some absolute crap that doesn't work at all but hey now ! It's got a 2.8 ghz Pentium cpu ! And came with Windows XP installed ! It's gotta be good ! And it was cheap ! Try to do a simple sketched hole and crash ! Repeat, repeat, repeat. Crash crash crash. What a pile of shit. I'd rather have a room full of 50mhz Indigo(1)'s than this 2.8 ghz garbage. Right now I'd kill for several R10k Max Impact Indigo2's :?

On a related subject, I've never been very good at keeping my mouth shut. What do you guys do when you work for someone who hasn't got a clue ? What do you do when the nitwit goes out and buys shit for three times as much money as good stuff even tho you've carefully explained why Brand X crap is not the thing to buy ? Do you just nod your head and say yes sir yes sir three bags full sir ? or tell him what a fucking moron he is ? or go tell his boss what a fucking moron the man is ? Probably that's not a good idea cuz the boss'es boss must also be a moron or he wouldn't have hired the jerk, right ? So the correct thing to do for survival is just nod and smile and act like a bootlicking toady, I suppose ? I can see why the corporate world has some problems ...

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Sat May 28, 2005 7:16 am

Ok, so I should proof my posts ;) Point taken.

After fighting to get "good" equipment for a couple of years and being ignored while wave after wave of shit hardware comes in through the revolving door, I usually just give up and find a job elsewhere. Then history repeats itself.

I bet the boss and boss's boss arent driving the cheapest of the cheap cars? Funny how that works.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat May 28, 2005 7:38 am

zafunk wrote:Ok, so I should proof my posts ;) Point taken.

no fair ! You edited it ! Plus it was probably more accurate the original way. Sorry about hijacking your post tho :oops: Just somewhat frustrated. They want the stuff to work but they refuse to listen to facts. They buy shit which you are expected to make work as if it were the real thing. It's aggravating. All that crap about "write me up a report on our options" is a bunch of nonsense, too. After all that work, you know the baboon will have the neighbor's sixteen-year-old kid go out and choose the company server and CAD workstations because "he's really up on this stuff." Sure enough, ya come in Monday and there she sits, your new p.o.s. to deal with :-(

A lot of people in the West think that the Cultural Revolution was a mistake. In fact, it was probably the best idea Mao ever had.

Intel-OUTSIDE

Unread postby Intel-OUTSIDE » Sat May 28, 2005 9:35 am

you sound like your refering to DELL or COMPAQ desktops :twisted:

i work for myself,
the reason is because i am further down the atitude-road than you.

lines i have used in the past include:

"it's not my fault, it's a pile of shit."

"you dont fix windows, you re-install it"

"if that machine has XP on it then i'm not using it"

"of course it's messed-up, you installed XP on it"

and the real nasty one:
"if you used linux you would not be wasting £60,000 on licenses for toy software"

that one resulted in a real slanging match where i accused the dept manager of owning microsoft shares!!!!!!!

Dr. Dave

Unread postby Dr. Dave » Sat May 28, 2005 9:56 am

hamei wrote:On a related subject, I've never been very good at keeping my mouth shut. What do you guys do when you work for someone who hasn't got a clue ? What do you do when the nitwit goes out and buys shit for three times as much money as good stuff even tho you've carefully explained why Brand X crap is not the thing to buy ? Do you just nod your head and say yes sir yes sir three bags full sir ? or tell him what a fucking moron he is ? or go tell his boss what a fucking moron the man is ? Probably that's not a good idea cuz the boss'es boss must also be a moron or he wouldn't have hired the jerk, right ? So the correct thing to do for survival is just nod and smile and act like a bootlicking toady, I suppose ? I can see why the corporate world has some problems ...

I've just gotten colourful about filling out timesheets. Bean counters want beans, then beans they shall get...

If I get input into the buying process, I just insist on the crucial parts being good - and that doesn't necessarily mean expensive. And look for economy elsewhere; "Look, I saved you $40 on the case!" The last round I installed the OS's and software myself, so I knew the config wasn't going to be a hassle. But I certainly insist on not getting 'bundled' PC's because they're a nightmare to fix if the thing causes problems.

Dr. Dave

Unread postby Dr. Dave » Sat May 28, 2005 9:58 am

zafunk wrote:I'm currently using an Apple Airport Basestation (The early model, not extreme) and quite frankly, it sucks. I lose connectivity more and more often these days. Even if I'm in close proximity to it. The Airport wouldn't have been my first choice, but it came with the iBook I bought at the same time.

Anyone have any recommendations for a new basestation? Any models I should avoid?

Currently we have 2 iBooks and an occasional work PC. Not that it should make a difference, but I thought i'd throw that in incase anyone has encountered issues with Macs on their wireless network.

I've used Netgear stuff for a while here, haven't had any major problems. They also have a built-in DDNS agent that works very well. My gateway box here is an old Netgear RT314 (with Zyxel firmware) and it's been pretty much problem free for years.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sat May 28, 2005 11:23 am

Dr. Dave wrote: If I get input into the buying process, I just insist on the crucial parts being good - and that doesn't necessarily mean expensive.

Exactly ! I'd *much* rather have a three year old $700 Netfinity or Netserver or Sun than a brand new $1500 Acer Shitstain. And you can drop that Compaq crap in the toilet as you pass by, too.

And look for economy elsewhere; "Look, I saved you $40 on the case!"

The problem isn't usually (so much) the money - as noted, I'd much rather have older good cheap hardware than brand new crap. The problem appears to be that the Head Turkey doesn't know a god-damned thing, so whatever the local Computer Boy says must be gospel - even tho the local Computer Boy has proven to be a nitwit who delivers crap. But hey now ! He's got a computer store so he must know what he's doing ! That's why we have 2.8ghz machines that are slower and less reliable than my O2 - and that's saying something ! In fact, this junk runs worse than my Intellistation with the overclocked PPro's did. Honestly. Not totally sure but I bet a good 386 could give them a run for the money.

The last round I installed the OS's and software myself, so I knew the config wasn't going to be a hassle.

Ha ha ha. Let me send you some Chinese Lightning components. No two ever strike twice in the same place. And drivers ? What's that ? Online support ? you've got to be kidding. If you want a firmware upgrade, send us the part with your original receipt and 80 rmb and we'll see if we can get to it. Some day.

But I certainly insist on not getting 'bundled' PC's because they're a nightmare to fix if the thing causes problems.

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie there, pard. Nightmare is an understatement. Service here is .. well, for example, the Lenovo outlets don't carry memory. Yeah. You want more memory, go to the memory store down the street. Bodes well for the future of the Thinkpad, doesn't it ? Drivers ? Sure. What kind of car did you want ? If it breaks, either reinstall Windows or buy a new computer. The computer situation in China is not pretty. The ISP (we only have one) lies to your face - many places you can't get to (if you play by the rules) because the dns servers lie to you. All geocities and apparently any dynamic dns domains get sent to the bitbucket. So get the China Telecom person over and do an nslookup right in front of his face - the fact that their dns server returns either nothing or the wrong ip (consistently) for certain particular types of domain must be my fault. Sure. A problem with my network, unh-hunh. Why I can then go to dnsstuff.com or a similar place and get the correct ip instantly ... well, that's just one of those mysteries, right ? " Bye ! call us back when you are willing to remove your router and connect a single Windows XP computer directly to the Internet (preferably running as Administrator with no password) for three weeks, then if there is still a problem we'll talk about it some more ..."

I'm serious. Sigh. The rest of the world is going to regret this greed-driven frenzy to send all manufacturing to China in a really big way ... once it's too late. I hope you keep your straight razors handy cuz there's some Western corporate throats that need some serious slitting. Anyone who starts spouting that Milton Friedman crap would be a good candidate.

Hmm. How does a Canadian know about Dixie, anyway ?

Scott Tarr

Unread postby Scott Tarr » Sat May 28, 2005 1:37 pm

hamei asks
Hmm. How does a Canadian know about Dixie, anyway ?

Must be the roots the South had when the conspiracy to assassinate Lincoln hid in Canada.

But I could be wrong... :wink:

Dr. Dave

Unread postby Dr. Dave » Sat May 28, 2005 4:40 pm

hamei wrote:Hmm. How does a Canadian know about Dixie, anyway ?

LOL - I play bass guitar, of course!

Well the driver situation is OK... Generally I just download the drivers I need, and with the advent of super-cheap storage just keep copies on the server in case the company goes udders vertical, and which *also* means a 'winning combination' can be recreated at any time. Same holds true for Irix as for Windows.

And 'good' implies using hardware where if nothing else fails, you can get a driver from someplace that will work. No 'what-the-heck-is-that' chips. Using corporate nVidea drivers with a no-name card. All part of the 'good' but not 'expensive' game.

All of the stuff around here works without too much hassle, following this mantra. The worst offenders are, as you say, these 'bundled' PC's where they stick a fast processor onto a board that's got everything including the timing bugs, and sell it as a 'Cheap' high-powered desktop. We're actually quite fortunate around here in that Ottawa is a really good place for buying hardware, with about a dozen quite reputable and not overly-expensive dealers, and a few reputable 'used' places where you can get stuff cheap and they warranty the stuff without hassle. That's not to say there aren't our share of shysters, but I can usually find some good stuff around. Today's deal was a CAD$15 MSI optical PS/2-USB mouse, mini-sized for use with my Dell laptop, but that's typical for a Saturday hunt.

The real trouble I see is that in general, people who enter the IT field are really quite hardware-naieve, and don't appreciate the 'good' philosophy very much at all. Not an absolute, but often a situation that exists. So the naieve IT guys recommend things to the clueless management types, and the next thing you know there's bluescreens aplenty!

The other shoe I use, as mentioned before, is having some knowledge of the underlying ASIC's on said hardware boards. A GeForce chip works fine on an el-cheapo board *if* they haven't messed it up too badly and the build quality looks reasonable, plus you can use generic drivers. A 'ShaZamm' ASIC on a two-layer PCB that looks like it's been cut apart with tin-snips, well you're just asking for trouble there. An Adaptec board pulled out of the bin at the recyclers is cheap enough that if it works, it works and should work fine or be totally dead. Not much ventured, bonus to be gained.

A good place to see if some bit of hardware is totally brain dead is to see what the Linux driver situation is with it, actually. Since the Linux drivers tend to concentrate on the ASIC's rather than the brands, you can often find out a *lot* poking through that.

The real reality is that if management is not willing to put money into decent, supportable hardware, then they're not much of a management team.

I'm reminded of a story I once heard, where there were two teams of guys who went in to cut trees up with saws. One team was led by a guy who wouldn't let his men take breaks, and forced them to saw wood their entire shift and wouldn't let them stop for anything. The other boss let everyone have a 10 minute break every hour to rest, have a drink, sharpen up their saws, go to the can, whatever. At the end of the day the team that took the breaks came out way ahead because they weren't exhausted when they worked, and their saws were razor sharp. Who's the smart manager here?

Return to “Everything Else”