A Few Less Ugly PeeCee Cases, If You Were Forced To Use It

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
codemonkey

Unread postby codemonkey » Wed May 18, 2005 2:57 pm

My box of choice is my shuttle system SN41G2. Small, light, easy to carry and looks cool. i'll post a pic of it later!

http://www.shuttle.com
Even the reverse side has a reverse side - Japanese Proverb

Intel-OUTSIDE

Unread postby Intel-OUTSIDE » Wed May 18, 2005 4:17 pm

my usual suplier has the biggest range of anywhere, every style and price to please anyone.
http://www.ebuyer.com/

this is a nice cheap case for example, very mac-style with handy handles - and you cant beat the price!!!
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=65317
the only mod i think i'd make to the case is to remove the "X" bit at the front and use the hole for a nice 120mm fan, infact thats one of the things that made it stand out.

btw, if your in america and cant see what's so good then change the preferences for "u.k." the region denotes what's available.

choza

Unread postby choza » Wed May 18, 2005 4:33 pm

codemonkey wrote:My box of choice is my shuttle system SN41G2. Small, light, easy to carry and looks cool. i'll post a pic of it later!

http://www.shuttle.com

ssshhhhwwweeeett!! good cases...

Scott Tarr

Unread postby Scott Tarr » Sat May 21, 2005 8:11 pm

gamerKarl states:
yah, ATX is cursed with crappy airflow design. I'm looking forward to BTX

I wouldn't say that ATX is "cursed" with crappy airflow design. There is plenty of design into it. It's the idiots who don't follow the design that screw it up.

I remember seeing an Antec BTX case over 4 years ago. I really wanted to take that puppy home. It was as big as a Crimson though. :(

With size like that, it had better have some good airflow design.

screwjack

Unread postby screwjack » Sun May 22, 2005 11:05 am

great thread - I always have trouble finding a case that I like, but I'm kinda partial to the ones from CoolerMaster.

I've had a ATC-201B-BXT (since renamed "Praetorian") for quite a while now and just love it.

All-aluminum chassis, solid constuction and a nice automotive-style finish. Makes my Gentoo/BeOS box look as good on the outside as it does on the inside. :wink:
All Hail Discordia!

GeneratriX

BeOS

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sun May 22, 2005 11:32 pm

screwjack wrote:great thread - I always have trouble finding a case that I like, but I'm kinda partial to the ones from CoolerMaster.

I've had a ATC-201B-BXT (since renamed "Praetorian") for quite a while now and just love it.

All-aluminum chassis, solid constuction and a nice automotive-style finish.

Nice boxes, seems very elegant on the outside. I can't speak by the comfort inside, since I don't know those boxes personally.

screwjack wrote:Makes my Gentoo/BeOS box look as good on the outside as it does on the inside. :wink:

...how useful is BeOS currently? Do you are using the latest release? I've not used BeOS since V4.5, years ago. I'm pretty curious about the latest release... but I guess I can't speak until get installed here on any box, and give them a few turns to see if catchs my attention... ;)

GeneratriX

Onyx II

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sun May 22, 2005 11:39 pm

Brombear wrote:
Tech^salvager wrote:I rather take a SGI case and stick a PC in it.

I always wanted to rip the innards out of a rack onyx II and put some powerful dual opteron dual fx4000 sli pcs inside. Real graphical power :twisted:

Matthias

Sure!... *cough* then you'll use WinblowsXPlode or Linsuxs to squeeze out all these "Real Graphical Power"?*cough* :lol:

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Onyx II

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun May 22, 2005 11:45 pm

Diego wrote:Sure!... *cough* then you'll use WinblowsXPlode or Linsuxs to squeeze out all these "Real Graphical Power"?*cough* :lol:

Reminds me of that "Real Ultimate Power" ninja web site that was going around a couple of years ago :D

A computer so crazy and awesome it will flip out all the time!

http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Mon May 23, 2005 12:18 am

nekonoko wrote:Reminds me of that "Real Ultimate Power" ninja web site that was going around a couple of years ago :D

http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm

:lol: Yup!; nice web site, Neko! :lol: The guy seems a little bit obsessed with ninjas anyway for my taste! :roll: ...But I could imagine these guy reading my posts and saying exactly the same about me :lol:

So... you can see Matthias what you get when you push the people talking about a modded Onyx II with a PeeCee inside? :lol:

nah!; Neko, don't let him get lowered our chances to get at some point a perfectly original Onyx2 jewell! ;)

nekonoko wrote: A computer so crazy and awesome it will flip out all the time!

...yup!; I can imagine such whirly-thing! :shock: Wow!; they are the PeeCee boards so powerful? :shock: ;)

screwjack

BeOS is cool, and by cool I mean totally sweet.

Unread postby screwjack » Mon May 23, 2005 10:40 pm

Diego wrote:...how useful is BeOS currently? Do you are using the latest release? I've not used BeOS since V4.5, years ago. I'm pretty curious about the latest release... but I guess I can't speak until get installed here on any box, and give them a few turns to see if catchs my attention... ;)

I keep a couple different installs around: BeOS R5 Pro (the last official release) with some replacement components like OpenTracker and the legally dubious PhOS. I find it very useful for pretty much any day-to-day desktop/web/media task (especially now that there is a half-decent version of FireFox) and it's just a fun and easy system to hack; everything being so accessible, well-organized and kruft-free.

a little nostalgic I suppose, but BeOS is a hard habit to break. it's just soooo responsive and stable. Nothing quite like it. can't tell you how many times having a box that can go from zero to fully booted in under ten seconds and apps that open instantaneously has come in handy. the only real drawback I find is that many of the apps never reached full maturity. There is still quite an active community and projects abound keeping things alive: Zeta, Haiku, BeOS Max, etc.

given that Be Inc. in many ways aspired to be an SGI for the masses, I should think it would be of some measure of interest to you...
All Hail Discordia!

GeneratriX

Re: BeOS is cool, and by cool I mean totally sweet.

Unread postby GeneratriX » Tue May 24, 2005 1:09 am

screwjack wrote:given that Be Inc. in many ways aspired to be an SGI for the masses, I should think it would be of some measure of interest to you...

Absolutely!; I've always really loved the stability and order of BeOS, but my first conceirn was the lack of a development environment (I'm talking of the BeOS status years ago!), and applications suited to work in my projects. But I've always rispected these beautiful OS and considered among the betters to work.

Hence my curiosity about the current status. I'll not change IRIX by BeOS; but it could add a nice extra workstation to work on my projects, and maybe port any given the right conditions...

I'm specially interested on the new one, just to give it a try and see how comfortable I feel it; but I guess these OS is a payd one! :)

(BTW: Thanks by the links; looks like a pretty active community.)

gcb

Unread postby gcb » Sun May 29, 2005 7:48 am

Talking about lack of development enviroment on one side and easy to hack on the other... that's why i love and hate beOS

the best designed API ever.
the worst set of tools to code.

...now only if someone can glue java onto beos or write jEdit with plain C :roll:

Hey, what to you use to code there?

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun May 29, 2005 9:26 am

Diego wrote:
Brombear wrote:I always wanted to rip the innards out of a rack onyx II and put some powerful dual opteron dual fx4000 sli pcs inside. Real graphical power :twisted:

Matthias

Sure!... *cough* then you'll use WinblowsXPlode or Linsuxs to squeeze out all these "Real Graphical Power"?*cough* :lol:

Mmm, with a Sun Opteron peecee you could run Solaris. I know, I know ... but at least it isn't Winblowz. People have OS/2 running on Opterons too ... wonder what kind ? Altho OS/2 is not something you'd mistake for anything with Real Graphical Power :)

GeneratriX

Unread postby GeneratriX » Sun May 29, 2005 7:39 pm

hamei wrote: Mmm, with a Sun Opteron peecee you could run Solaris. I know, I know ... but at least it isn't Winblowz. People have OS/2 running on Opterons too ... wonder what kind ? Altho OS/2 is not something you'd mistake for anything with Real Graphical Power :)

Sure Hamei; strongly better than any 64bitized version of M$ Winblows, and probably better than any standard distro of Linux IA64 (I'm not talking about the customized distro of SGI, since I've nerver used it)

...I'm not too awared today about the OS/2 advances... what about their graphic side? ...It has OpenGL support, and drivers for today's graphic boards? :roll:

By the way. I'm not blaming against Opteron(s), only against the whole idea of destroy a wonderful Onyx2 to put anything else inside that well designed SGI chasis... ;)

screwjack

Unread postby screwjack » Sun May 29, 2005 11:24 pm

gcb wrote:Talking about lack of development enviroment on one side and easy to hack on the other... that's why i love and hate beOS

the best designed API ever.
the worst set of tools to code.

...now only if someone can glue java onto beos or write jEdit with plain C :roll:

Hey, what to you use to code there?

I honestly don't do anything really heavy-duty so the BeIDE meets my needs - I just like to tinker and fool around.

I barely do any non-web app development at all really, and when I do it's usually using the GNUStep framework tools (ProjectCenter and Gorm) or Xcode...
All Hail Discordia!

Return to “Everything Else”