Hmm... Considering Games.

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Cory5412

Hmm... Considering Games.

Unread postby Cory5412 » Mon May 16, 2005 8:51 pm

I've been thinking about what I am going to spend the next summer doing... and I think that
I might just have to load myself up with one of those "game console" things. ;)

Our family already has a playstation II, but that is sometimes in-use by members of my family, So I looked around and figured that an xbox or a gamecube might be an interesting investment, especially since the price should go down with the release of the next generation consoles at E3 this year. (supposedly.)

What I'm interested in, is some general opinions on whether an Xbox or a GameCube might be a better buy. I know that with a GameCube, I can like... play games forever, but I also understand that an xbox has got standard USB and a hard disc, making it a decent cantidate for Linux webserving, or DiVX file viewing, along with playing games... I guess it'll come down to which one does more nifty things.

So far... I'm eyeing the gamecube because it's cheap, and has some nice games.
I [heart] the Performer Town Demo

Intel-OUTSIDE

Unread postby Intel-OUTSIDE » Mon May 16, 2005 11:31 pm

here are some facts.

ps2 is good, but the lasers wear out and you dont want to solder the chip in - trust me.
also, they hold there value.

xbox is an obsolete pc made from junk,
if you get one you can bank on needing to replace the dvd and maybe the psu because they are crap, and the harddrive because it's small.
value? not in the u.k. - they are worthless in the junk sales.

gamecube - very nice kit - very reliable - 3year warranty.
chips are cheap, new case is now out so you can burn full size discs for it.
they are cheap in europe even new.

dreamcast - discontinued in europe - very cheap.
very reliable, you can burn bootlegs or homebrew emu's for it without needing a chip.

if you want to play games then xbox is worst.
if you want to play dvd's then cube and dreamcast are out of the equation.

the xbox controller is a brick, i find it unuseable.
the dreamcast controller is the best - probably followed by the ps2 controller.

i have never seen a dreamcast or gamecube fail,
xboxes are flaky in every way, they emit heat like an octane.
ps2's burn there lasers out after a while.

----------------------------------------------------

that's the facts, now you need to choose based on your intended use and the prices in your area.

btw, this info comes from owning or using all of these consoles and repairing/chipping them for people for years.

personally i prefer the dreamcast, my ps2 just gathers dust.
:)

makkan77

Unread postby makkan77 » Mon May 16, 2005 11:54 pm

I would recommend you do this:

Get a gaming console if gaming is what you want to do. Get something else if something else is what you want to do.

Seriously, you don't want a buggy ps2 or a chipped xbox. Why would you run a server on an XBOX because you can, or because you would like to have a server that you would have to turn off everytime you want to play a game. Sure you can watch divX movies but then again you can do that on a computer aswell.

The gamecube is cheap today, perhaps the games are a bit on the steep side, but if you buy the good ones only you will have hours and hours of gameplay. And that is what you want to buy.

Or get a gameboy advance or the new nintendoDS, that might be just what you need. Perfect for long travels or boring family get-togethers.

well maye I'm ranting.. but I sure do love my gamecube and super mario kart double dash!! + zelda the windwaker + metroid prime + soul calibur 2 + donkey konga + resident evil 4 + super smash bros melee. and so on..
Behold my spermlogo, for it is I: Quick, Ambitious, creative and a tad bit sexually oriented.
----------------
[SGI Indigo2 R10K | High Impact | Indigo2 Video for IMPACT with indycam | Irix 6.5.22m]

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue May 17, 2005 12:46 am

makkan77 wrote:I would recommend you do this:

Get a gaming console if gaming is what you want to do. Get something else if something else is what you want to do.

or get a compiler and start writing your own games ? I thought that was something Cory was interested in at one time ?

makkan77

Unread postby makkan77 » Tue May 17, 2005 4:39 am

hamei wrote:
makkan77 wrote:I would recommend you do this:

or get a compiler and start writing your own games ? I thought that was something Cory was interested in at one time ?

yeah, that would work too, it will just take a whole lot longer..
Behold my spermlogo, for it is I: Quick, Ambitious, creative and a tad bit sexually oriented.

----------------

[SGI Indigo2 R10K | High Impact | Indigo2 Video for IMPACT with indycam | Irix 6.5.22m]

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Tue May 17, 2005 5:02 am

you should choose your system according to what kind of games you want to have, nothing else. all the models from the current generation are short-lived by now since sony, nintendo and microsoft have already announced their new models PS3, Revolution and Xbox 360.

expect this year's christmas season to be the last where top titles for this generation will be released, all the new ambitious projects are for the next generation hardware.

kinda frightening to see that the Xbox will be replaced this fall and therefore lasted only three years. the new machine is not supposed to be backwards-compatible, whereas the playstation 2 has had a shelf life of five years and a little more and will get replaced in 2006 by a machine which is supposed to play back even PS1 titles.

Cory5412

Unread postby Cory5412 » Wed May 18, 2005 7:25 pm

Well, then it seems like picking up a GameCube is my best bet. I am not a huge fan of most of the games on xbox, except GTA, which I've already got on my PS2. The Zelda+Mario games are more the type of thing I'm looking for, and I hear that there are a few other relatively-awesome games for GameCube that it would be worth playing.

'Course, I've also got Xenosaga and some other games on the PS2 that I still haven't beat :P (or barely started...)

Scott Tarr

Unread postby Scott Tarr » Sat May 21, 2005 8:28 pm

Intel-OUTSIDE states:
if you get one you can bank on needing to replace the dvd and maybe the psu because they are crap, and the harddrive because it's small.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's frickin' hilarious. What fanboi mag have you been subscribing to?

Once again for effect...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Intel-OUTSIDE

Unread postby Intel-OUTSIDE » Sat May 21, 2005 10:33 pm

Scott Tarr wrote:Intel-OUTSIDE states:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Once again for effect...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you should ask yourself that question,

i'm an electronics engineer in the consumer repair industry and i see this stuff all the time.

if a 733celeron with a g-force3 and 64megs of unified ram isnt an old pc then i'v missed something.
it sure as hell weighs like a pc, and the footprint is like a pc.

i have yet to see the mystical exploding power-sockets but i know where the problem begins and i know it's happened over a dozen times (not with DELTA psu's, only FOX ones)

not forgetting if your coming back from the bathroom and remembered to wash your hands you can then dry them in the heatstream from the fan at the back!!!
this is because microfuck runs the fan at a low speed to reduce noise, because they care more about the noise than the lifespan of the product.

go open a few before you comment again.
and open some ps2's and cube's and dc's too.

Tech^salvager

Unread postby Tech^salvager » Sat May 21, 2005 11:48 pm

Intel-OUTSIDE wrote:
Scott Tarr wrote:Intel-OUTSIDE states:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Once again for effect...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you should ask yourself that question,

i'm an electronics engineer in the consumer repair industry and i see this stuff all the time.

if a 733celeron with a g-force3 and 64megs of unified ram isnt an old pc then i'v missed something.

i have yet to see the mystical exploding power-sockets but i know where the problem begins and i know it's happened over a dozen times (not with DELTA psu's, only FOX ones)

not forgetting if your coming back from the bathroom and remembered to wash your hands you can then dry them in the heatstream from the fan at the back!!!
this is because microfuck runs the fan at a low speed to reduce noise, because they care more about the noise than the lifespan of the product.

xbox use some type of altered p3 cpu forget whats specs really but its not the same as a p3 or a celeron, so we can sey its made only for teh xbox.
all in all, all consoles are PC's
and also if I remmeber correctly is not exactly a geforce 3 gfx card there.

The fan itself in the xbox is right behind the cpu heatsink which is really passive cooling and works like that too, as I found out. the fan really dosen't hit on the PSU inside of the xbox. MS did get those cables out nicely to everyone cause of w\e prolems. Most newer xboxes I've seen don't have drive(DVD) problems but olders ones may, like mine which is either a 1.0 or 1.1 xbox with a thomson drive, but its still working good.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun May 22, 2005 12:19 am

Tech^salvager wrote:xbox use some type of altered p3 cpu forget whats specs really but its not the same as a p3 or a celeron, so we can sey its made only for teh xbox.

Jerseys are brown, Guernseys are black and white .. ?

all in all, all consoles are PC's

by this reasoning, so is the ignition unit on a new Ford ...

and also if I remmeber correctly is not exactly a geforce 3 gfx card there.

Right. They are silkscreened "Made for Xbox. This is NOT a Geforce 3 !"

The fan itself in the xbox is right behind the cpu heatsink which is really passive cooling and works like that too, as I found out.

If it's got a fan, it's not passive cooling. It's forced-air. Just crappy forced-air.

MS did get those cables out nicely to everyone cause of w\e prolems.

And Ford eventually stopped making the Pinto ...

Most newer xboxes I've seen don't have drive(DVD) problems...

Glad to hear that "most" xboxes don't have dvd problems ... nice to know when you go to buy one that you probably won't have too much trouble.

Intel-OUTSIDE

Unread postby Intel-OUTSIDE » Sun May 22, 2005 1:45 am

Tech^salvager wrote:xbox use some type of altered p3 cpu forget whats specs really but its not the same as a p3 or a celeron, so we can sey its made only for teh xbox.

it's a 733 celeron in the package of a p3-mobile.
i suspect the xbox was designed for a p3 and microfuck tried argue the price down with intel and failed - too late to redesign the pcb, they had to get custom celerons.

Tech^salvager wrote:MS did get those cables out nicely to everyone cause of w\e prolems.

WOOHOO - so instead of recalling all the boxes with FOX psu's they just give you a cable with a breaker on it, so that when the box fails it stops the fireworks display and just gives you a dead box!
/sarcasm/ why didnt they just send everybody a small fire extinguisher instead!

Tech^salvager wrote:Most newer xboxes I've seen don't have drive(DVD) problems

except the really new ones with the hitachi drives in them!
they wont read worn or scratched disks.
*note* in japan when the first xboxes scratched everybody's disks microfuck said the scratches where only superficial and wouldnt effect the disks.
and out of kindness - *not legal necesity* they would replace the *not faulty acording to them* scratching drives!!

roll on the fun!

Btw, if the harddrive dies you cant just replace it, you have to chip or flash the box first.
another little gift from the evil-genius of redmond.

Scott Tarr

Unread postby Scott Tarr » Sun May 22, 2005 5:40 am

Intel-OUTSIDE states:

Well, that and a quarter will buy us both a coffee. It means nothing. Not only does it mean nothing but it's entirely anecdotal.

The fact you are an "electronics engineer" means nothing. Just like the fact that I used to build electronics for military and commercial aircraft. It means nothing.

Intel-OUTSIDE states:

I'm not disputing the fact that it's a basic PC. I'm disputing the fact that "you can bank on needing to replace the dvd and maybe the psu because they are crap".

This is hogwash and pathetic.

Intel-OUTSIDE states:

Opening "a few" does nothing to deny the fact that there are many Xbox consoles out there that are years old with nary a problem, now does it?

Opening a PS2 or GC or DC doesn't help me determine if the Xbox has design problems, now does it?

Your entire message here is fanboy drivel. Your use of "microfuck" and other derogatory statements show one of two things (or both).

1) You are entirely too defensive of being called a fanboy.
2) Your blind anger has clouded your judgement.

I say let other people decide on your position. One that I maintain is from a fanboy point of view, regardless of any "electronics engineer" background you may or may not have.

I've seen a few PS2s die as well. Every manufacturers equipment dies. It's the way things work--or don't as the case may be.

One note: While you're railing on Microsoft's use of the hard drive, note that none of the other consoles even have one stock. Yeah, PS2 has one you can hook up to use for 1 or 2 games. Also note that if you have the new PS2 design, the hard drive you bought for it a year ago won't even hook into it.

That was smart.

Cory5412

Unread postby Cory5412 » Sun May 22, 2005 10:36 am

If you've got a memory card... who *really* needs a hard disc? Seriously, I'd rather not have my saved game tied to a specific console, and if you're going to say "music" then I'd rather listen to music on my palm or my powerbook.

As it were, somebody mentioned that if I'm going to buy a game console for games, then I should be picking it out based on what games it's got.

It seems that xbox is mostly shooter games and sports games... there are one or two games that I've seen or played that I would probably play of my own choice... and of those few games, there are probably 1) gcn or ps2 versions 2) one or more equivalent for gcn or ps2.

Yes, the xbox is basically a micro PC motherboard inside the case of a gameconsole... That's part of why I figured it would be a decent system for putting Linux and a DiVX player on, and running as a network client, web browser for TV, or DiVX/Movie viewer... Just FTP or NFS or AFP or SMB into one of my existing computers, or hook up the USB hard disc and watch anime on television or whatever. That would be the primary reason for getting an xbox, but I hear that mac minis and micro-itx PCs with composite output are just as good for that too. (though, I'm not sure on the prices of those... I know that the mini or the PC option would have more storage though.)

Though... those are just the words of a very wordy teenager, but we all know that titles like "electrical engineer" and "wordy teenager" mean nothing ;)

themacosxflies

Unread postby themacosxflies » Tue May 24, 2005 7:27 am

I second the GAMECUBE option, reliable, cute, small, great standard and/or wireless controller, and lots, lots of real fun. You can´t go wrong choosing a Nintendo to play games.
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

Return to “Everything Else”