Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

No politics, please.

Post subject: SGI case mods on Ebay
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:45 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=3669

I'd just go for the logo, I don't know why he put the 320 in it. Then more people could use it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:20 am 

but then if you did get you would have a saw a hole in your boxes skin and when it comes to the looks of an sgi the term "if it ain't broke don;t fix it" comes to mind

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:36 am 

Blah...

The 320 is neat and all, but it's just not the same thing. now, the 640 is a crazy beast! 4 XEONs and a memory slots out the wazzoo, that's just nuts. The case is big as hell, too. I have a freind who had abour 5 or 6 of them at one time. The only cool thing about the VW 320, is the Cobalt Graphics IMO. Other than that, it's just a PC in a cool case.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:48 am 

Yeah my point was the auction makes no sense. Why destroy a custom case? The point of case modding is to take an off the shelf whitebox oem case and turn it into a personalized work of art.

Speaking of which, I came up with the idea of case modding about 6 years ago. I got the idea when I saw a guy at the local mall with an airbrush store. He sold custom airbrush paintings but also had things like car hoods and stuff like that. I thought, I wonder why people don't do cool stuff like that and decorate their case? Paint them, change them etc.

Now I've got my cousin's 1/2 a brain cell friends asking me about how to paint their computer or... "How do you paint a CDROM without ruining it?"

You take it apart duhh.

Speaking of which I have started work on a CD-Rom for my Indy. I took an old 2x parallel port Sony drive that I had and removed it from the case and painted it with some left over paint from my old pickup truck (blue with a bit of a sparkle) Then I took a Toshiba XM3401 (i think that's the part number) and did the SGI mod to it, painted the face a metalic maroon and the drive door blue with a fluorescent orange eject button.

After all that, I find out that my the drive absolutely does not like the irix tools disc. It just ejects it, even though it works fine on other drives. I need to find some long screws to re assemble the case because I misplaced the original ones long ago. I'll post pics if I find it.

I've also got a 6plex Plextor drive that works on SUN/SGI (a cart loader just like the Toshiba) and 2 NEC 1810a drives which don't boot from the install menu but you can load sashARCS and then fx and IIRC I used them to install IRIX in the first place even though usenet postings say NEC drives don't work at all on SGI's.

Finally looking at the picture gallery of Nekochan's computers has motivated me to try to clean my desk and organize. I've been way outdone by the sheer number of SGI's but I'll fight back with variety!

Post subject: 540, 640 etc...
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:22 pm 

Speaking of which, anyone know sources for higher definition SGI NT workstations? especially the really phat ones? I´m desperately looking for one / two / ten...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:29 pm 

We had some SGI/Intergraph ZX10 workstations where I used to work, but they were all just on the shelf. When they relocated I tried to get one but they were leased. I could never get them working because someone had removed the ram and it wouldn't boot without ECC ram.

They used to use those for developing the simulators before they got the Quantum 3D systems. I don't know how they compared but the Quantum 3D systems had a video card with 8 Voodoo5 chips on it and apparently 1gb of ram on the video card.