Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

No politics, please.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:01 pm 

http://slashdot.org/articles/03/03/03/2 ... 09&tid=127
- I don't understand this. Is Microsoft really giving up on their pursuit of control over the 3D API that dominates all alternative operating systems?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:26 am 

Or, and this is possibly more likely, MS owns a lot of patents over graphics technology (that they purchased from SGI). If they were part of the ARB, and these technologies are used in OpenGL2 / GLSlang then they'd give up their exclusive ownership so-to-speak, and would have to permit free use of those technologies...

I'm wondering if they did this to keep those patents secure?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:36 am 

...or so they could start exercising their legal ownership rights of said patents.

SGI have a lot to answer for :evil:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:02 pm 

I would wager that Microsoft's plan involves securing those patents, preventing OpenGL from making use of the technologies, while giving DirectX a marked advantage in the 3D API arena (at least as far as game development goes).

Now, the downside here for Microsoft is Mr. John Carmack. I think this gentleman holds more sway over the 3D and game development communities than most other individuals (or companies even), and is just as deadset against using DirectX as Microsoft is set on ruling the world.

The way I see it, Microsoft bailing out might make the GL path bumpy for a little while, but in the end, everyone benefits by being free of the patent-and-lawyer wielding behemoth.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:41 pm 

I think that M$ has done some good things for the computer industry...

But for every 1(one) good thing that has been done, about 100( one hundred) things have been done badly. They have so many people buffaloed into thinking that they are the only OS out there. You'd be surprised whe someone asks me what I run at home and I tell them something other than M$ crap and they respond with "I didn't know there was anything else out there...."

It's very frustrating that they make such poorly written and oeven more poorly running software and have no intention of making something that is of quality. The software they produce is crappy on purpose, it makes more money on the long run. Businnesses spend lots of money making support calls to M$ to get the stuff up and running and several more times when some "wierd bug" or "new exploit" happens to take their systems do0wn and they need it nback up pronto. Not to mention, the tolerance for crappy sooftware has risen sky high. SO many people are "OK" or complacent with a machine rebbooting on them randoomly or locking up at inopportune times. Why else do you think the new versions of Word are set to auotmatiacally back up about every 30 seconds or so? In the new versions on window, the Blue Scren Of Death has been hidden from the user by deafult. There si a setting in windows to automatically reboot upon the slightes error. So instead of you possibly getting a clue at to why your machine keeps rebooting, you get to admire your cool new custom statrup and login screens for XP.

The point is, M$ is in the market to make money. hiring the lawyers with the same interest as OJ's lawyer, buliding a tolerance for rebbots and lock ups, and many more things that you all already know and love are all in the interst of making money in the sort and long term. I suppose the IS capitolism at it's finest.

Don't get me started on Hotmail..... That's another tender money making subject for me.

Just my 2 cents worth about M$'s business practices. I think they should let go of the Copy Right for all the open source stuff they have and give to someone that can make it worth while and just stop being a mean bully.