Things that make your blood boil

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Irinikus

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:57 pm

vishnu wrote:
Irinikus wrote:You only have to listen to the opening track on "The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd (recorded by Allan Parsons at Abby Road Studios) on a high fidelity system with a frequency response down to 10Hz and you will understand what I mean when it comes to the recording methods used in the old days. On acid!

There, fixed that for ya! :lol:

That would certainly help to improve the experience! ;)
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:25 am

squire wrote:I beg to differ, sort of. Although I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means, I only buy classical music on cd, with a strong preference for early music which has had a golden age especially since the 1980es up unto the present day. The recording quality on modern recordings is usually fantastic. It just depends on the style of music you buy.

Overall you're right, of course. That classical market is just a very small niche and your argument still stands. ;)

Classical music is a big exception to this as it is still mastered to retain a large dynamic range and hence usually receives little (if any) dynamic range compression during mastering. Contrast that with the mastering on most modern pop/rock music that looks sorta like this, and a "high-resolution" version makes sod-all sense.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:52 am

I have the first CD that was released, an album by Billy Joel.
The dynamic range is fantastic. They really put in all they could to show all that CDs could deliver.

My girlfriend's cousin is an accomplished violinist and has a few SACD albums released. That alone made me hunt the market for a fat PS3 (it was the cheapest player I could find), and, wow, it's brilliant.

Ars Technica went a long way down indeed, I miss the Ars of 10 years ago.
ImageImage

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:56 am

Irinikus wrote:Nowadays, the high resolution format used by audiophiles who make use of music servers and very expensive "and I mean, very expensive" discreet DAC's is the DSD file, but good recordings in this format are not that easy to come by yet, and a really good recording on normal Red Book CD can really give this format a run for it's money, even though there is an extreme difference in the resolution of the two formats.

There is very little 'pure' DSD material out there. Quoting wikipedia:
Because it has been extremely difficult to carry out DSP operations (for example performing EQ, balance, panning and other changes in the digital domain) in a one-bit environment, and because of the prevalence of solely PCM studio equipment such as Pro Tools, the vast majority of SACDs—especially rock and contemporary music, which rely on multitrack techniques—are in fact mixed in PCM (or mixed analog and recorded on PCM recorders) and then converted to DSD for SACD mastering.

Now, why would you want PCM @ 24/96 or 24/192 source material, converted to DSD, converted to analogue? It's not like the extra conversion step improves the audio quality.

I always lusted after the old Studer open reel master recorders. I used to have a Revox in the late 80's, but the problem is again the source material. Unless you use it to make your own live recordings, all you can do with it is record from vinyl or CDs. In that case it's nothing but the 'wow' factor, because that analogue copy isn't going to improve the source.

As for audio CDs: the first CDs were mostly straight transfers from existing analogue master tapes (mastered for vinyl, not CD). The A/D converters weren't exactly audiophile; the first Philips studio converters couldn't even do 16bits. The steep analogue filters caused phase changes. Digital mixing and mastering equipment was rare so often done analogue resulting in more D->A and A->D conversions. The resulting sound is often 'brittle', 'bright'.

The quality of converters and digital studio equipment greatly improved over the years. But the end product didn't necessarily improve due to this obsession with loudness. I ran the numbers on some old Led Zeppelin because the differences were so audible:
zep_ii.png

('gain' = ReplayGain, DR = Dynamic Range)

As you can see, it gets louder over the years. But DR and gain numbers don't tell the whole story. Personally I think I like the 1994 version best, but that's maybe also because I've owned that issue the longest. The 1990 version sounds 'thin' in comparison. The 2008 version is just loud at the cost of detail. The most interesting is maybe the 2014 version. It's roughly as loud as the 2008 version, but there's a lot more 'punch' to it (which IMHO goes well with this type of music), and I keep hearing details in it I never heard before. It's almost like the album was re-invented. Probably because it's a new mix from the multi track, not just a remaster. I have no illusion it has anything to do with the higher sample rate, especially not with a 1969 recording... Anyway, I like to listen to that one too. And really, that's all that matters in the end.

NB: The gain levels on all of these are still relatively conservative. If you look at these numbers from a Top40 track you can see Replay Gain corrections of -13dB and a DR number of 3 or 4 and even lower for Drum 'n' Base. They literally crank up the volume to the point where there's only a couple of dB of dynamic range left. You can *hear* the limiters trying to do the impossible. It's just plain awful.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:28 am

guardian452 wrote:Negative screeds from insufferable privileged folks on web forums.

Struck a nerve, eh? As a curiosity, did I get you with cellphones or football? :lol:

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:52 am

Cellphones. I use ublock origin, you should try it sometime.

I also like having millions of songs in my pocket, but if others here want to wind up their victrolas, more power to 'em. Oh yes, I do have a record player, an old Technics I picked up for $20 to listen to my dad's vinyl. The sound is... acceptable. and if people like watching grown adults wearing tights and humping each other then how does that hurt you?

If you choooooooose to buy a phone that can't run anything other than the built in browser and shows ads on the lockscreen then that is a tradeoff you make for the low low price. Is it an amazon phone or apple?
Attachments
Screenshot_20180206-145419.png

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:14 pm

guardian452 wrote:Cellphones. I use ublock origin, you should try it sometime.

Doesn't show up in the google play store, it must be bundled with a browser? Besides, does it block in-app ad's?

guardian452 wrote:[...]more power to 'em... and if people like watching grown adults wearing tights and humping each other then how does that hurt you?

Glad I could make your blood boil. So did your guys win or lose?

guardian452 wrote:If you choooooooose to buy a phone that can't run anything other than the built in browser and shows ads on the lockscreen then that is a tradeoff you make for the low low price. Is it an amazon phone or apple?

Hey man, I can choose to use those suicide nets if I want. You cant maaaaaake me :lol: :lol: :lol:

thunderbird32

Unread postby thunderbird32 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:22 pm

VenomousPinecone wrote:

Doesn't show up in the google play store, it must be bundled with a browser? Besides, does it block in-app ad's?

UBlock Origin is a Firefox extension. So if you've got Firefox's mobile version installed you can grab it off the Firefox extension store, same as you would on a desktop. Because of this, it doesn't block in-app ads. Not a problem for me, as I choose to not use apps that have them. If they've got a paid version, I pay to remove the ads. Otherwise I find an alternative.
Digital Personal Workstation 500au
HP Visualize C3700 (HP-UX 11.11)
IBM RS/6000 7011-250 (AIX 4.3.3) | IBM RS/6000 7044-170 (AIX 5.3)
Sun SPARCclassic (SunOS 4.1.4) | Sun Ultra 1 (Solaris 2.6)

VenomousPinecone

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:34 pm

thunderbird32 wrote:
VenomousPinecone wrote:

UBlock Origin is a Firefox extension. So if you've got Firefox's mobile version installed you can grab it off the Firefox extension store, same as you would on a desktop. Because of this, it doesn't block in-app ads. Not a problem for me, as I choose to not use apps that have them. If they've got a paid version, I pay to remove the ads. Otherwise I find an alternative.

That would take me about as long as typing 5 minutes worth of stream of consciousness ranting in an effort to skewer beloved smartphones and the NFL. Too much effort for far little return! No, but seriously I was being polemic just to brighten my day. ;)

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:04 pm

Mostly only selling widescreen monitors and not standard definition ones. That really pisses me off. I don't care if joe six pack wants to watch DVD's, sell me a proper sized screen, thanks.

Trying to get rid of physical media. What's gonna happen if the internet goes down and everyone is dependent on it. They'll be paralyzed that's what.

Trying to get rid of optical media, without any consideration for the fact that is one of the few mediums that you can cold store data on for years and not constantly have to worry about it getting corrupted by magnetic fields, mechanical failures or electron leakage. Yes, the dye can go bad, but that's what M-DISC's are for. This whole business of trying to use flash memory for everything is troubling, since they suffer the aforementioned electron leakage, which leads to bit rot of the stored data - sometimes in a relatively short time.

Sites that use adblock detecting code to try and stop you from using adblockers on your own computer.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:
Alphaserver DS10 - 466MHZ
Sun Ultra 5 - 440MHZ.

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:36 pm

Oh yeah, one more. Windows 10.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:15 pm

There is one organization that makes my blood fucking boil.

Big Cat Rescue. They company is lead by a woman who killed her husband and inherited his fortune. She keeps dozens of exotic cats and claims that exotic and wildcat hybrids are dangerous to own.

And I agree for something like a cougar. But for a Serval, Sand Cat, Silvestris wildcat etc. There is no harm in the hands of an experienced owner. And considering these animals cost thousands, they are not purchased by experienced people.

BCR abuses their animals and the result has been that highly valuable animals to the zoo and captivity diversity plans (many acquired with broken promises) have died. Including three Sand cats.

The reason I'm passionate about this us my love of wildcats. I grew up owning cats, and even watched a Bengal cat (Asian Leopard Cat hybrid) for its owners quite often. I have worked with wildlife rehabilitation including fox kits, bobcat kittens, and have trapped feral cats and acclimated them to homes.

Not all of the species are pet worthy, but banning the trade just pushes it underground. Regulated trade with zoo and experienced owners would ensure that diversity would be preserved, and their welfare would be much improved.

And don't get me wrong, I understand we euthanize millions of cats every year, but even if you made hybrids illegal, it wouldn't stop people like me who love these animals. The market for shelters and the market for exotics don't overlap.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Tezro: Quad R16000 700MHz V12 8GB RAM murasaki
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)

I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.
Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:47 pm

If you really want your blood to start boiling, watch some of the "Showing Animals Respect and Kindness" (SHARK) videos on youtube. :evil: :roll:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Return to “Everything Else”