Things that make your blood boil

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Shiunbird
Donor
Donor
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby Shiunbird » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:01 am

Since Apple dropped the 3.5mm headphone jack from the phone, I keep reading/hearing shit that "dropping the headphone jack will allow Apple to give us high resolution audio".

I wrote to three outlets to complain about the ignorance of that statement, to no avail. Journalists know better.

Yesterday evening I met a few work colleagues and one of them came bragging about his new USB (or lightning, or whatever), "digital-only" headphone, and ARGH, the stupidity burns!

What IT/tech misconception makes you go mad?

Edit: typo.
ImageImage

User avatar
Trippynet
Donor
Donor
Posts: 891
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:22 am
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, UK

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby Trippynet » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:46 am

The whole high-res audio one annoys me too in general. Especially as the resolution of the audio makes little difference as long as music continues to be brickwalled and dynamically compressed to shit during the mastering process. High-resolution shit is still shit...

Another one that annoyed me no end was the move to 16:9 screens in combination with the advertising slogans of "HD" and "Full-HD". An HD screen sounds great, but in reality 1366x768 is a absolutely shit resolution. Similarly, the marketing blurb for the new range of workstations at work that proudly announced that the machines now had "Full-HD" screens, whilst quietly omitting the fact that this is in fact a lower resolution than the previous models.

Oh, and "unlimited" Internet access as well that isn't unlimited at all, resulting in the rise of services offering "Truly unlimited" Internet access...
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

User avatar
Irinikus
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:25 am
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:59 am

Trippynet wrote:The whole high-res audio one annoys me too in general. Especially as the resolution of the audio makes little difference as long as music continues to be brickwalled and dynamically compressed to shit during the mastering process. High-resolution shit is still shit.


There’s a good reason why most audiophiles have music collections that were recorded 30 to 40 years ago.

With the right equipment and good old fashioned recordings, it’s still possible to pull enough information off of the Red Book CD standard to give you incredibly realistic sound.
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby Shiunbird » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:29 am

Trippynet wrote:Another one that annoyed me no end was the move to 16:9 screens in combination with the advertising slogans of "HD" and "Full-HD". An HD screen sounds great, but in reality 1366x768 is a absolutely shit resolution. Similarly, the marketing blurb for the new range of workstations at work that proudly announced that the machines now had "Full-HD" screens, whilst quietly omitting the fact that this is in fact a lower resolution than the previous models.


Tell me about it...
A friend of mine, many years ago, totally not tech-savvy, upgraded his lovely 1600x1200 screen with a new HD 1366x768, because it was HD.
ImageImage

User avatar
guardian452
Donor
Donor
Posts: 3564
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: United States

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:16 am

HD (not 1080 or full-hd) was a gazillion times better than a snowy, ghosty NTSC signal even with the same antenna. Kids these days don't know how good they have it. 8-)

That said, FHD is most often the cheap option for a computer these days. I DEMAND 300dpi on a laptop or 200 dpi on a desktop. My ancient crappy lenovo w520 from 7 years ago has FHD display.


As for me, anything from the so-called "tech press" has become clickbait garbage over the past 5 years. Engadget, Techcrunch, Ars Technica, Verge, et al. Ars Technica is undoubtedly the worst of the bunch, as they will breathlessly publish any warmed-over press release or advertisement for days or weeks with payment in the form of a gas station hot dog. Haven't visited that trash site regularly in over a year.

The good news is if there is some product or gadget I'm interested in I will eventually see it at the best buy or on buzzfeed / amazon, etc.

They are still better than the automotive rags.


And then there's the sites that complain about ad blockers. :roll:


The internet is shit.

User avatar
Trippynet
Donor
Donor
Posts: 891
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:22 am
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, UK

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby Trippynet » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:38 am

guardian452 wrote:HD (not 1080 or full-hd) was a gazillion times better than a snowy, ghosty NTSC signal even with the same antenna. Kids these days don't know how good they have it. 8-)


Oh when it comes to TV broadcast, I agree HD is a massive improvement. I think that's part of the problem. HD TV was becoming a big thing back in 2008-2010, and hence the marketing folk at the various laptop/screen manufacturers jumped onto that bandwaggon to advertise their new HD and FHD screens that were in fact smaller and lower resolution than what came before.

guardian452 wrote:That said, FHD is most often the cheap option for a computer these days. I DEMAND 300dpi on a laptop or 200 dpi on a desktop. My ancient crappy lenovo w520 from 7 years ago has FHD display.


Oh, tell that to a lot of larger companies offering IT kit to their employees. Crappy 1366x768 TN screens are still the standard on most standard issue laptops for company users. And they're garbage. For a lot of places, you have to either be an exec, or doing CAD in order to snaffle a laptop with a 1080p or higher display.

guardian452 wrote:And then there's the sites that complain about ad blockers. :roll:


The sites that *really* annoy me are the ones that moan, and then you think "OK, I do visit a fair bit, I'll turn off my ad-blocker" - only for the site to slow to a crawl with content jumping all over the place as ad after ad loads, auto-playing videos start running in the middle of the article and you can't dive quick enough over to turn the ad-blocker on again. Too many sites practically destroy their site with ads, then moan when people block the endless stream of crud being dished out.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

User avatar
Intuition
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby Intuition » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:57 am

Trippynet wrote:The whole high-res audio one annoys me too in general. Especially as the resolution of the audio makes little difference as long as music continues to be brickwalled and dynamically compressed to shit during the mastering process. High-resolution shit is still shit...

Another one that annoyed me no end was the move to 16:9 screens in combination with the advertising slogans of "HD" and "Full-HD". An HD screen sounds great, but in reality 1366x768 is a absolutely shit resolution. Similarly, the marketing blurb for the new range of workstations at work that proudly announced that the machines now had "Full-HD" screens, whilst quietly omitting the fact that this is in fact a lower resolution than the previous models.

Oh, and "unlimited" Internet access as well that isn't unlimited at all, resulting in the rise of services offering "Truly unlimited" Internet access...


Yeah, this kind of thing also makes me shake my head.

I grew up with Vinyl around. I don't mind the CD format but there was a time I swear I could hear a barely audible crustiness to CD audio when the format first arrived. I am a pretty capable ProTools audio engineer. Until we got to about 96khz mastering I didn't really think digital was really useful for anything except being an authentic way to do digital sounding music like techno, drum n bass, dubstep, etc. Like the digital format with its impossible basses and clinical high pitches was the product of its own time.

Same goes for "hd" and "full hd". I didn't buy until 2006 when full 1920x1080 at 24p was starting to come down in price. found a 50 inch at a chain called "Fry's Electronics" here in L.A. even 1280x720 was better than NTSC 4:3 blurry snow. BUT... I was just hating those big $4k price tags. Finally jumped when the price was $1200 which was very low considering it was 2006. Also, I could buy a PS3 and get the "blu ray" player instead of a pricey blu ray player only unit.

I am not even looking at 4K yet. I went and purchased a BenQ projector because it is far cooler a way to watch movies and they started getting bright and sharp enough, even the $800 models, to really just kill my want for a big heavy screen.
Though, be careful with the air intake OR you'll be buying a new bulb fast. ;)

Watching all the tech marketing of these things makes me feel everyone has lost the plot entirely.
Image O2 - 300mhz
Image O2 - 400mhz :1600SW: 1600sw
:Octane: 2x400mhz :O200: Origin 200 2x225mhz
aka Casey Christopher

User avatar
VenomousPinecone
Posts: 2180
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:10 pm
Location: Groom Lake, NV

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby VenomousPinecone » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:58 am

Cellphones. In particular "in-app purchases" and "ads" inside various pieces of shitty software that don't even rate when compared to crappy freeware of the nineties. To protect this all the phone manufacturers make sure you can't install an effective ad-blocker, unless you want to risk bricking your thousand dollar fondle slab. How is this shit any different from a kindle with "special offers"? You didn't pay full retail? You did! all for the privilege of having crap spewed at you, over a pipe you pay for by the megabyte. The worst part of all, ignoring the slew of other capital offenses these pricks are racking up, is that the operating systems of desktops are heading this way too. It is the phonification of user interfaces, "app store" walled gardens and all the other cancerous marketing buzzwords and terminology that rots the brain even further. Not just that but instead of the things costing 5 grand, which just might price out those pesky first graders, they are subsidized by cheap and safe global sea transport and low energy costs so they can be made half way around the world in a factory with suicide nets. So now everyone can post their 12 megapixel reaction to the latest super sportsball smash up as grown men in spandex grope each other for an hour! Shit, don't get me started on: Mark Zuckerturd and Jeff Bezos, social media, Netflix, DLC, AAA games, Hollywood, the state of Universities, politics, Linksys, podcasts, craft beer, hipsters, Star Wars, antiquing, "Spiritual but not Religious", government, the IRS, banking, etc. Touching any on of those here might hit the third rail and violate a rule we should try and follow around here.

If you did want to hear a logorrheic screed on any of those you can subscribe to my podcast, navigate past my paywall, sign up for my free newsletter (S&H will apply), subscribe to read the rest of the article, or buy me a beer. :lol:

User avatar
commodorejohn
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby commodorejohn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:18 pm

Trippynet wrote:The whole high-res audio one annoys me too in general. Especially as the resolution of the audio makes little difference as long as music continues to be brickwalled and dynamically compressed to shit during the mastering process. High-resolution shit is still shit...

Yeah, no kidding. At least it's not as bad as it was at the tail end of the '90s, but it's still amazing to listen to recordings from before I was born and hear more life in them than even the vanishingly rare modern stuff that's actually good music.

Another one that annoyed me no end was the move to 16:9 screens in combination with the advertising slogans of "HD" and "Full-HD". An HD screen sounds great, but in reality 1366x768 is a absolutely shit resolution. Similarly, the marketing blurb for the new range of workstations at work that proudly announced that the machines now had "Full-HD" screens, whilst quietly omitting the fact that this is in fact a lower resolution than the previous models.

Just fuck 16:9 altogether. It's the absolute goddamn worst for computer use (don't want to read websites with lines over 200 characters long? Ha ha, sucks to be you!) yet it got foisted on us because it meant manufacturers could just reuse their garbage TV displays. God do I miss 4:3.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM

User avatar
itsvince725
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:03 pm
Location: Quakertown, Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby itsvince725 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:11 pm

I can't stand pre-ATX PCs most of the time. Removing components can be incredibly awful if the engineers didn't feel like being kind that day.
:Indigo2: :Indy:

User avatar
guardian452
Donor
Donor
Posts: 3564
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: United States

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:35 pm

Negative screeds from insufferable privileged folks on web forums.

User avatar
squire
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:28 pm
Location: de_DE.utf-8

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby squire » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Irinikus wrote:
Trippynet wrote:The whole high-res audio one annoys me too in general. Especially as the resolution of the audio makes little difference as long as music continues to be brickwalled and dynamically compressed to shit during the mastering process. High-resolution shit is still shit.


There’s a good reason why most audiophiles have music collections that were recorded 30 to 40 years ago.


I beg to differ, sort of. Although I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means, I only buy classical music on cd, with a strong preference for early music which has had a golden age especially since the 1980es up unto the present day. The recording quality on modern recordings is usually fantastic. It just depends on the style of music you buy.

Overall you're right, of course. That classical market is just a very small niche and your argument still stands. ;)

User avatar
Irinikus
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:25 am
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:38 pm

squire wrote:
I beg to differ, sort of. Although I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means, I only buy classical music on cd, with a strong preference for early music which has had a golden age especially since the 1980es up unto the present day. The recording quality on modern recordings is usually fantastic. It just depends on the style of music you buy.

Overall you're right, of course. That classical market is just a very small niche and your argument still stands. ;)


I agree with you in terms of Classical music still being recorded with super quality these days. In fact, the Super Audio Compact Disc format was developed primarily for the Classical music market, as the resolution of the "normal" Red Book CD wasn't sufficient to convey all of the nuances in the music.

Nowadays, the high resolution format used by audiophiles who make use of music servers and very expensive "and I mean, very expensive" discreet DAC's is the DSD file, but good recordings in this format are not that easy to come by yet, and a really good recording on normal Red Book CD can really give this format a run for it's money, even though there is an extreme difference in the resolution of the two formats.

I still make use of CD's myself and make use of a Meridian 808 Signature Reference CD player as my source component, and it sounds absolutely phenomenal.

My next move is onto vinyl, when I can one-day afford a Clear Audio Turn Table, as vinyl only makes sense to me when you have the right "mechanically perfect" equipment to play it on.

You only have to listen to the opening track on "The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd (recorded by Allan Parsons at Abby Road Studios) on a high fidelity system with a frequency response down to 10Hz and you will understand what I mean when it comes to the recording methods used in the old days.

I agree with you on Classical though. :D
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

User avatar
Irinikus
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:25 am
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:01 pm

As for things that make my blood boil: The entire screwed up reality that we exist in does!
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

User avatar
vishnu
Donor
Donor
Posts: 3361
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Re: Things that make your blood boil

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Irinikus wrote:You only have to listen to the opening track on "The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd (recorded by Allan Parsons at Abby Road Studios) on a high fidelity system with a frequency response down to 10Hz and you will understand what I mean when it comes to the recording methods used in the old days. On acid!


There, fixed that for ya! :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:


Return to “Everything Else”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: commodorejohn and 2 guests