status:Gone off the deep end and started co locating sgi gear around town

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
MrBill

status:Gone off the deep end and started co locating sgi gear around town

Unread postby MrBill » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:10 pm

Been a while since i posted here, been quite busy. Figured i would post about my most recent project with sgi gear. I have been in the process of setting up my sgi onyx and origin servers between my two jobs. One is installed at the scrapyard, the other, at the arcade.

I think the best part is that power and business class interent connection at both are free :)

Now, what do i make them do O.o

I was testing hosting a minimal forum on the one at the scrapyard, i was looking at mylittleforum, its php + mysql based and really tiny, so i figured it would work well on the hardware. We already have the forums here to post about sgi stuff, i was thinking of making it a listing board for cool stuff that comes in at the scrapyard for sale. May be a little overkill for essentially a craigslist / classifieds computer, but hey, it works and its getting use.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the machine at the arcade, but its up and running, and gives me something to work on during the day, the place is dead, and i swear working on it is keeping me sane.

I am open to suggestions if anyone has ideas for something to host on sgi hardware that i could make accessible to the public.

Aside from all that, Im having a large climate controlled building built out back of my house, soon im hoping to get my pdp 11 gear moved into it and running full time too. Its going to be a dream to have a seperate room for all the computers. Its a big undertaking, but once it is done i will have a large area to work on machines, and perhaps get some other big computer gear set up.

Just posting to give a status on what I have been working on. Its been a busy couple of months,its been stressful,and my posting here has been intermittent dumb questions followed by long delays in activity here. I can not thank the people on this forum and the people that keep it running enough. It is an invaluable resource. I would not be able to keep my equipment running without the info and the knowlegable people of this forum.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

devv

Re: status:Gone off the deep end and started co locating sgi gear around town

Unread postby devv » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:23 pm

Hey,
You could possibly mirror Nekochan which to my knowledge has no mirrors.
(I mean the Nekochan FTP parts that are outside Nekoware, and/or other services like forum and wiki articles.)
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:29 pm

That sounds interesting, I already have a good chunk of what is on the main ftp here locally it would not take much more downloading to get the whole thing. How would i go about mirroring the forum and articles?
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

devv

Unread postby devv » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:46 pm

Unless Neko would give you a database dump, this could be done via tools like 'wget' which have built-in ability to statically mirror a site by visiting its pages and following links. It would probably make most sense to start with the Wiki and archive its pages and one level of links mentioned there.
(That would be just one idea because there is only around 300 Wiki pages if I'm not mistaken, and archiving one level from there would archive them and the forum threads or posts linked directly from the Wiki, and then progress from there.)

Others could comment whether this kind of mirroring would require consent from Neko given the amount of HTTP requests that would have to be made etc. and whether they'd find it useful. I believe that at least one copy of this content certainly would be useful.
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO

Return to “Everything Else”