The tale of the missing jumper

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

The tale of the missing jumper

Unread postby Shiunbird » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:48 am

Yesterday (well, today), 2am, red eyes, trying to wrap up something that I've been trying to finish for months.

I push the power button, nothing happens. I start reviewing everything and find out that I need a jumper.
Jumpers used to be plentiful. My dad had to hide jumpers so my younger sister wouldn't eat them, and I couldn't find one. I naturally did not move my bag of jumpers when I moved abroad almost 9 years ago but I knew I had a smaller-ish bag of jumpers, with 3-4 precious jumpers.

I have a serious problem with falling asleep if I leave anything undone, so I knew I had to find a jumper. My brother texts me: "just bend the bloody pins and be done with it", but no, I'm an artist, I can't afford to do that, even though it's going to be hidden inside the case.

Two hours later, my whole apartment is on the floor and there's 100m2 of mess and chaos, and still no sign of the jumpers, so I start going for boards. The first box I see is my Radeon 7000 flashed for PPC that I use with my IntelliStation sometimes, and there it was: a beautiful jumper to set the S-Video output for NTSC or PAL. I know I don't use that board often, so off the jumper goes.

5am, the system boots up, I can go to bed. Four hours later, the bizarre mixed feeling of regret and accomplishment and deeply red eyes.
Now I'm looking for a bag of jumpers on eBay.
ImageImage

heavyfuel

Re: The tale of the missing jumper

Unread postby heavyfuel » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:05 am

:P

Side note: A metal detector can be useful for finding dropped items such as screws from a carpet.

Return to “Everything Else”