CRT Projector for Bedroom Entertainment Setup?

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Re: CRT Projector for Bedroom Entertainment Setup?

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 pm

The benefit over DLP is that they really can last longer than a DLP though if you're not planning to play any video games and just looking for a cheap, 'just working' solution you're better off with a DLP.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

IAMNOTDEFECTIVE

Unread postby IAMNOTDEFECTIVE » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Raion-Fox wrote:The benefit over CRT is that they really can last longer than a DLP though if you're not planning to play any video games and just looking for a cheap, 'just working' solution you're better off with a DLP.

I've never been one for a "just working" package :lol: ... In terms what I plan to do with the projector - it's really just watching films and playing games during my "down time". I've read somewhere that if someone is comfortable building a computer (which I am), they should be able to maintain a CRT projector relatively easily.

Though thanks for your input and it is something I'll take under consideration. ;)
Hackintosh VW (Late 2015) - Core i7-4790k, Geforce GTX 970, 8GB RAM (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/PwQ8pg)
Surface Book (Mid 2015) - Core i7-6600U, GeForce GTX 945M, 16GB RAM
------------------------------------
Full time Introvert Tech Geek and 3D Animator... Or your money back guaranteed!

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Actually my statement was regarding a CRT, since DLP bulbs do burn out relatively faster compared to the RGB CRT tubes.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Projection CRTs are more likely to be replaced for other reasons than just burning out. Burn-in on the phosphors is a big problem and it affects these tubes more than regular display units. You should be very careful about on-screen display characters, network bug logos, computer menus, or anything else that is permanently on.
The other issues that Guardian mentioned also occur, but they can usually be fixed. Low emissivity from cathode depletion is reversed using CRT rejuvenators, and internal shorts caused by sputtered metal can be cleared by them as well. CRTs have much longer service life when they are correctly maintained than when treated as disposable, just like every other machine.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

marshallh

Unread postby marshallh » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Another problem that commonly occured on rear projection CRT is the glycol coolant for each tube would fog up as it broke down under years of heat.
This is why many rear projection TVs are blurry or foggy. You can drain the coolant and put in new stuff and have a nice crystal clear tube again. I'm not sure but I think at least some projectors also worked this way.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:54 pm

robespierre wrote:Projection CRTs are more likely to be replaced for other reasons than just burning out. Burn-in on the phosphors is a big problem and it affects these tubes more than regular display units. You should be very careful about on-screen display characters, network bug logos, computer menus, or anything else that is permanently on.
The other issues that Guardian mentioned also occur, but they can usually be fixed. Low emissivity from cathode depletion is reversed using CRT rejuvenators, and internal shorts caused by sputtered metal can be cleared by them as well. CRTs have much longer service life when they are correctly maintained than when treated as disposable, just like every other machine.

I don't think I've ever seen a tube itself just plain "burn out" although I have heard of shorts (e.g. cathode to heater etc) but whatever shortcomings exist with a direct-view CRT are amplified massively with a projection unit. The tube will 99.9% of the time continue to show a picture, unlike a burned out bulb. There will be latent images and a decrease in picture. Unlike a direct view tube where you can expect many tens of thousands of hours, with a projector that lifetime is down to a few thousand. You have a LOT more power in a much smaller space. I think there is some relationship where power increases exponentially for a linear increase in brightness?

You also get no control of previous maintenance with a used machine.

Also, G70 tube replacement instructions for anybody who thinks changing a picture tube is at all related to changing a light bulb... http://moesrealm.com/home-theater/guide ... tructions/

IAMNOTDEFECTIVE

Unread postby IAMNOTDEFECTIVE » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:36 am

After getting some help measuring the width of a bigger screen... I can confirm that I can actually fit a 60" projection quite easily and without my initial worries I had about getting such a size! ^^
Hackintosh VW (Late 2015) - Core i7-4790k, Geforce GTX 970, 8GB RAM (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/PwQ8pg)

IAMNOTDEFECTIVE

Unread postby IAMNOTDEFECTIVE » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:13 am

So since this discussion has seemingly ended, here is what I've discovered: generally it seems I should go with a DLP projector when I upgrade my entertainment setup a year from now...

So here is what I'm gonna do - when it is time for me to pick a projector, I'll look for a Cine 6 or Cine 7 CRT projector first... failing to find one I'll go and pick up a DLP or Laser Projector.

Thank you everyone for contributing to this discussion and help come down to a decision on the plan of action I shall take! ;)

Return to “Everything Else”