CM-5 Connection machine case for SBC

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
1byte

CM-5 Connection machine case for SBC

Unread postby 1byte » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:16 pm

Right, so because Dodoid makes these awesome 3d printed cases for an Odroid machine, I mentioned I might like to make the same for everyone's favorite supercomputer, the CM-5. Its actually rather easy, being a big square box. Put four or five of those together, and you have the machine. After a bit of research, I thought I might write this post seeking sort of a brainstorm session to get the thing in a workable state.

The original CM-5 cabinet measured 86x70x34, or in real money; 218cm x 177cm x 86cm.

I have an external LaCie hard disk that measures 19 x 12 x 4 cm. This means at 1/10th scale, the single CM-5 cabinet would be a little larger than 2 of these drives stacked. I could not fit five of these on my desk, but one I could.

The Parallella board, which I suggested would be the best suited for this build happens to be even more suited than I first realised. Seems you can link multiple of these together using mythical elink cables, which is basically Cray-Link, or NUMA. Very interesting things, but that goes beyond making an interesting case with blinkenlights, and delves into actually building a CM-5 scale replica - which is a project for another day.

Anyhow, most people I assume would want the stair stack design. 800mm long case won't fit on my desk, so if the stair stack is to be made, its got to be smaller than 1/10th scale. 1/16th scale works out to something that feels right, and has plenty of space for adding lights and a computer inside.

Right now, my design is 140x112x63mm which is just about 1/16th scale, has plenty of space for a Parallella board, or anything from Odroid. Consideration will have to be given to the port placement, but there is probably sufficient volume inside to accommodate an extension cable for a port that is on the "wrong side".

Smooth Bruticus-Blad.png

Smooth Bruticus-Blad(1).png

This design incorporates a 120mm opening in the front for whatever type of display or led array might fit, there is also enough space inside to incorporate an arduino controller. More work to come tomorrow. If you would like the STL file, please ask. I have downloaded the current edition.

Thoughts, comments, and suggestions are always welcome. I have never designed anything in CAD before, nor know anything about 3D printing.
:Octane:
Public GPG key: 3FFC 3492 FEE7 C954 63C9 9E6B F1D0 1A90 B4CE 93BD

Dodoid

Re: CM-5 Connection machine case for SBC

Unread postby Dodoid » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:07 am

One thing to keep in mind with 3D printing is that overhangs (like the top of the case there) need to either be printed with supports (which can cause a problem as they can be messy once removed) or as real overhangs (which also can come out messy or fail altogether). However, I wouldn't worry about it at this stage of the design.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 am

Dodoid wrote:One thing to keep in mind with 3D printing is that overhangs (like the top of the case there) need to either be printed with supports (which can cause a problem as they can be messy once removed) or as real overhangs (which also can come out messy or fail altogether). However, I wouldn't worry about it at this stage of the design.

Probably a stupid question, but... why couldn't this box be printed "face down"?

Also, there should absolutely be provisions for some miniature oled panel to emulate the original machine's blinkenlights :)

1byte

Unread postby 1byte » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:49 am

I'm sure it could be printed "face down". I don't actually know, but it sound right.

The hole in the front is for an oled panel. Unfortunately OLED seems the only way to go, however I really need to figure out a way to make it red.
:Octane:
Public GPG key: 3FFC 3492 FEE7 C954 63C9 9E6B F1D0 1A90 B4CE 93BD

Return to “Everything Else”