This forum is super nostalgic :D

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
PoV

This forum is super nostalgic :D

Unread postby PoV » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:45 pm

In the late 90's some friends and I ran a variety of internet forums. Some of them had an anime'esc girl at the top of the website, some got popular, but as the years went on they were shut down for a variety of reasons (some were later reborn, but more as a meeting place for old friends than what they stood for in their heyday).

I can't explain it, but somehow seeing the barebones PHPbb theme here with a simple banner at the top makes me super nostalgic. :D :D

Somehow the #1 place for SGI talk I can find on the internet just so happens to mirror the sort of sites my friends and I used to frequent and run as kids. That makes me smile. That's not meant to be an insult. I have the biggest dumb smile on my face whenever I've visited to read stuff. :D

That's all really. Just me getting all amused and nostalgic over here. We all got to serious when we grew up. I miss this vibe. ;)

For a taste of what we used to do, here's a couple pictures of the aesthetic of a later forum we were working on (never launched it though).

http://junk.mikekasprzak.com/old/various/tbar.gif
http://junk.mikekasprzak.com/old/various/mascotbig.gif

Artwork by a friend of mine who I later worked with in the games industry. We were still in school at the time of this stuff.

I haven't yet joined the SGI family, but almost. I have a broken SGI O2 I'm looking to pick up, made a deal with the owner, just need to decide a pickup date.
:O2: R5000 at 180 MHz, 64 MB RAM, 8 GB HDD
... yeah, that's it. My collection is mainly retro gaming systems (most consoles and handhelds), retro computers (Commodore, Amiga), many SBC's and dev kits.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Re: This forum is super nostalgic :D

Unread postby guardian452 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:27 am

PoV wrote:somehow seeing the barebones PHPbb theme here with a simple banner at the top makes me super nostalgic. :D

It never ceases to amaze me, the number of incompetent boobs out there who can manage to fuck up a perfectly useable webserver package.

Mind, this site is run by one person on lightweight hardware and until a few years ago ran on SGI o350 (moved away from that citing energy cost).

It is a nice place to be. 8-)

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:40 pm

BUT BUT JAVASCRIPT FRAMEWORK ALL THE THINGS MAAAAAN
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:56 pm

There's a time and place for every static language, website style and dynamic language.

The fundamental issue with modern sites like Facebook is the tasteless use of hundreds of thousands of lines of JS, and too much tracking information embedded.

There is a time for static HTML and basic CSS, there is a time for stuff like Drupal or WordPress, and there's a time for sites like Facebook. But we should never lose sight of what is applicable where.

I sometimes wish the world could have frozen at 2010, I was 17, had an awesome BMW, could still use anything from Zeta to Win98 to get my daily work done and it was prior to most of these smart phones that were faster than old computers.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)

I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.
Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:28 pm

ClassicHasClass wrote:BUT BUT JAVASCRIPT FRAMEWORK ALL THE THINGS MAAAAAN

:P

Return to “Everything Else”