PowerPC notebook project fundraising

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

PowerPC notebook project fundraising

Unread postby Shiunbird » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:00 am

Dear forum friends and colleagues,

I collaborate (mostly with translations) with this project. Things are going well, folks there are very passionate about it, and we've started our fundraising. We've already reached 25% of the fundraising target.

https://fundraising.powerpc-notebook.org/

If you think such machine seeing the light of the day is a cool idea, I invite you to contribute. It is no Talos, but maybe if it is successful could inspire the team at Raptor Engineering to try again.

Cheers!
ImageImage

commodorejohn

Re: PowerPC notebook project fundraising

Unread postby commodorejohn » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:44 pm

I remember this from back when it was announced, but there's not much new information there that I can see. Do they have a target spec in mind?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:52 pm

CPU: NXP T208x, e6500 64-bit Power Architecture with Altivec technology
4 x e6500 dual-threaded cores, low-latency backside 2MB L2 cache, 16GFLOPS x core
RAM: 2 x RAM slots for DDR3L SO-DIMM
VIDEO: Radeon HD
AUDIO: sound chip, audio in and audio out jacks
USB: 3.0 and 2.0 ports
STORAGE:
NVM Express (NVMe), M.2 2280 connector
2 x SATA
1 x SDHC card reader
NETWORK:
1 x ethernet RJ-45 connector
WiFi connectivity
Bluetooth connectivity
POWER: on-board battery charger and power-management
CHASSIS: standard notebook case 15,6"

Edit: Even if you are not looking into getting a laptop now or anytime soon, any money helps the project so...
I'm bidding higher because I'm interested in a libre and open non-x86/x64 device, but many bidders are doing so just out of principle. There are movements here and there trying to bring out alternatives in computing. Pretty much like the old times, but without enterprises behind it. =)
ImageImage

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Talos

https://www.raptorengineering.com/TALOS/prerelease.php
"Want to provide feedback for use in our next Talos™ Mk II design?"

JTIMI. This is better specs than a PowerBook, clearly, but it won't hold its own with an x86 laptop. Talos can compete with an x86 workstation, at least. I'm pretty ambivalent about this project as well.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:39 am

ClassicHasClass wrote:JTIMI. This is better specs than a PowerBook, clearly, but it won't hold its own with an x86 laptop. Talos can compete with an x86 workstation, at least. I'm pretty ambivalent about this project as well.

The goal is not, and has never been, to be the fastest laptop around, but a viable libre-open mobile computing platform. It would be too expensive that way.
My newest computer (not counting my two Microservers) is 7 years old, so it's not like I need bleeding-edge performance for anything nowadays. It fits my use cases.

There's some interest from the Amiga community as well.

In any case, the message is out, and every USD/EUR/NZD/PLN/CZK/GBP/insert-your-favourite-currency-here is welcome. =)
ImageImage

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:23 am

Do we know anything about this team? At least Raptor had some sort of track record, and they did their fundraising through more conventional means after the design was complete (I had a substantial outlay, but I got it all back when the project stopped).
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:10 am

ClassicHasClass wrote:Do we know anything about this team? At least Raptor had some sort of track record, and they did their fundraising through more conventional means after the design was complete (I had a substantial outlay, but I got it all back when the project stopped).

I haven't met yet anyone personally yet, but I don't think any of the main organisers would dedicate so much time to scam people out of 10.000 euros. I've been in touch with them since almost the beginning of the project...

The project is properly documented, and a NGO (under Italian law) has been founded. I'm in their core team (even though my contribution is minimal), and I've seen (and have) the drafts of the contracts with the companies that are going to design and manufacture the motherboards. The companies are all real and solid, so are the engineers.

The discussions around the funding model were long and exhausting. Basically, the reason why we didn't go the Kickstarter way is around the promise of delivering an end product. We studied the Talos case and realised that, well, we would need to raise simular amount of money to be able to even start the engineering work. By splitting the project in small parts, we concluded that our chances would be higher.

So the first campaign will finance the final design of the motherboard, and a prototype. All the chosen components are being tested in development boards, but there's a need of putting them all together.

According to the law, the money can't be returned to donors and can't be used for expenses of the volunteers involved, but it can be used to fund projects related to the goal of the organisation.

The few skilled volunteers we have don't have enough time to finalize the design on their own, so the company to be hired to finalise the work has already a fairly advanced starting point. All the details are available on the webpage, much more than what I know by heart. I assume Raptor could afford the manpower required for such design.

There's hope among members of the project that a successful laptop, and the media time that would come as consequence of it, would encourage Raptor to give Talos a second try with more chances of being successful.
ImageImage

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:03 pm

An update on this:

The designer of the motherboard has agreed to start on the phase 1 of the design and manufacturing of the first development boards upon the campaign pot reaching 4000 Euro.

So again, if you are interested, we are nearly there and every cent helps. =)
ImageImage

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:16 pm

I find it curious that the fundraising is to hire a contract engineer. So much for 'labour of love'

Also the details on the chassis seem sketchy. I like the thinkpad modders that replace the mainboard in an excellent machine such as the x62 project.. "mainstream odm"... is it even as good as the powerbooks from 15 years ago? Maybe a new mainboard for one of those old beauties ;)

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:21 am

guardian452 wrote:I find it curious that the fundraising is to hire a contract engineer. So much for 'labour of love'

As I mentioned before, the engineers on the team don't have enough time to work on everything.
Well, let's see, I've been enjoying my time working with the folks there and, in the end, we always learn something valuable on the way. The 50 EUR I've donated won't make me homeless..
ImageImage

Return to “Everything Else”