XP, I made a grave mistake

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Y888099

XP, I made a grave mistake

Unread postby Y888099 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:36 am

I made a grave mistake. I was supposed to remove all system restore except the most one.
So I used [ disk cleanup ] -> [ more options ] -> [ compress old files ]

The laptop now is slow because the CPU has to take a lot of resources and time to uncompress files, including applications because XP though applications and probably the OS itself is "old files" :roll:

I want to undo all the compressed old files but it is not easy task.

Do I have to manually do to single or multiple files by -> properties -> advanced -> uncheck compress ?
Isn't there a trick?

I need this laptop for EagleCAD and OrCAD. I am lost.

jimmer
Donor
Donor

Re: XP, I made a grave mistake

Unread postby jimmer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:57 am

Assuming you have backups of your data files like drawings, letters and neko piccies :) - i would just fdisk the machine and reinstall. 3 monthly bare metal reinstalls were always "Good Practice' for XP anyway - back in the day.

J.
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:09 am

There is a club at my school that I am a member of. They run primarily XP, and everything is always totally screwed. I actually made a custom NLite CD that installs all the weird crap they need and sets up the system on their weird SMB-based network share jumble (their software uses it to communicate between machines). Much better now, installs in 30 minutes and needs 20 seconds of user interaction.

Reinstalls are certainly good practice.
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:34 am

Solved :D !

I had to dig into the shitty 'regbin' (through Programs/Admin/regedit.exe) in order to remove the poisoned "compress old files" option. This was half of the salvation because it prevents the system to repeat the mistake. The second part needed to find all the compressed files (colored in blue on Explorer), and to force NTFS to decompress them.

This part took the whole night. But it worked.
FSK Windows XP!

jimmer wrote:Assuming you have backups of your data files like drawings, letters and neko piccies

Eagle's files, Altium's files, IBIS's files, TDS&RTL's files are on drive D: on the laptop, and there are weekly (sometimes daily) backups on a local server, accessible by linux, which is able to mount NTFS and copy files through the lan.

The problem is on Applications on drive C: since they don't need to be modified there are no frequently backups, there are a few backups of the whole drive C: but they are old and they all need some work. Boring! There are a lot of customizations, so, I am afraid reinstalling everything from the scratch will take two or more working days.

And it's FSK annoying !

Dodoid wrote:I actually made a custom NLite CD that installs all the weird crap they need

I have 32GB of software on drive C:

My laptop happens to have two internal mini ePCI slots, one is taken by the wifi card, the other is empty, therefore I am going to buy a flash-disk for the second ePCI slot as backup media (first aid if loaded with a linux distro ?!? (1)) for C:

(1) since C: is 30GB, I can buy a flash disk of 64GB.
34GB used for backup, the rest sounds useful for linux.

Return to “Everything Else”