What extremely rare (non-prototype) computers do you wish you could find?

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
scottE

Re: What extremely rare (non-prototype) computers do you wish you could find?

Unread postby scottE » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Was it the Onyx? I thought it was the Crimson. Eh, I could be wrong about that. It's been a while.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:56 pm

scottE wrote:Was it the Onyx? I thought it was the Crimson. Eh, I could be wrong about that. It's been a while.

It was indeed based on the Onyx and the RealityEngine graphics system!

scottE wrote:Ha! We have two weeks of spring now, thanks to climate change.

I've been to Alaska in every month of the year with the exception of January, and I'm not particularly eager to fill in that gap.
brr.gif
brr.gif (200 Bytes) Viewed 445 times
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:38 am

Yep. They didn't originally know how powerful the N64 would be (obviously less powerful than an Onyx though) so the developers had to guess. When they finally got the dev hardware (inside Indys, but not using the Indy's hardware) it turned out to be slower than they thought, and they had to quickly make the games faster.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:43 am

praetor242 wrote:I don't know how rare it is, but I'd love an onyx deskside.

When I was like 15, I read this article in a video game magazine about the N64, and they were talking about how the initial hardware was based around the Onyx. Or something. This was ages ago I kinda fell in love with it. I was already and SGI fan before that, but it captivated me. I see an Onyx in my future :D

I loved every bit of my onyx... I loved hunting for it, I loved picking it up, I loved spending hours slaving over a hot circuit board with a soldering iron coaxing it back to life, I loved using it for all of a couple weekends, I loved moving to many different 3rd floor and higher apartments with it, I loved paying the electric bill for it, and I loved seeing it getting picked up and hauled off to another enthusiast.

Fantastic machine :D 8-) I don't want another one.

vishnu wrote:I've been to Alaska in every month of the year with the exception of January, and I'm not particularly eager to fill in that gap.
brr.gif
It can't be much worse than MN...of course I was born and raised in the freezing rain capital of the world (Ottawa, Canada) and we would always look at the weather during wintertime and joke about how it was warmer in Alaska :lol:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:45 pm

I live in Ottawa! Freezing rain is certainly common. Onyxes are hard to find around here though. There's B&B in Montreal, but right now all the have is a Challenge L and it's fairly priced but not as good as I would like. Maybe someday someone on Nekochan around here will want to get rid of a bigger SGI. If Dr. Dave was still active on Nekochan I'm sure I would have bought a few SGI items from him. Wonder if he still has his systems.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:45 pm

All this talk about the Onyx makes me miss that Crimson a bit. It was perfect. It was just...huge.

vishnu wrote:It was indeed based on the Onyx and the RealityEngine graphics system!

Which the Crimson got first (RE1), surely. Or was this an IrisGL v. OpenGL thing?

vishnu wrote:I've been to Alaska in every month of the year with the exception of January, and I'm not particularly eager to fill in that gap. brr.gif

Yeah, you're not missing much. Maybe the occasional aurora. And the stars can be almost uncommonly clear on a cold, cloudless night, but the light pollution from Wasilla and other places is getting worse, so I can't even pretend that's a great reason. (You have to drive quite a ways to avoid it.)
Scott Elyard cgfx.us
:Octane2: Sarcosuchus_imperator :Octane: Liopleurodon :Indigo2: Carcharodon :Indy: Helicoprion :Indigo: Paradoxides

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:05 pm

scottE wrote:All this talk about the Onyx makes me miss that Crimson a bit. It was perfect. It was just...huge.

vishnu wrote:It was indeed based on the Onyx and the RealityEngine graphics system!

Which the Crimson got first (RE1), surely. Or was this an IrisGL v. OpenGL thing?

I actually have no idea, the initial public release of OpenGL was in August 1992 but development started within SGI a year and a half before that, so it's entirely possible that the Crimson used it. Anyone know? I've never been in the same room as a Crimson...
scottE wrote:
vishnu wrote:I've been to Alaska in every month of the year with the exception of January, and I'm not particularly eager to fill in that gap. brr.gif

Yeah, you're not missing much. Maybe the occasional aurora. And the stars can be almost uncommonly clear on a cold, cloudless night, but the light pollution from Wasilla and other places is getting worse, so I can't even pretend that's a great reason. (You have to drive quite a ways to avoid it.)

Wasilla has all the problems of big cities and none of the charm of small ones... :roll:
Project:
Plan:

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:37 pm

vishnu wrote:
scottE wrote:Which the Crimson got first (RE1), surely. Or was this an IrisGL v. OpenGL thing?

I actually have no idea, the initial public release of OpenGL was in August 1992 but development started within SGI a year and a half before that, so it's entirely possible that the Crimson used it. Anyone know? I've never been in the same room as a Crimson...

My own Crimsons each had RealityEngine and VGX gfx.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us

itsvince725

Unread postby itsvince725 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:22 pm

I almost forgot another rare machine-the Mac Color Classic II.

Sure you can build a CCII yourself by putting a LC/Performa 550 motherboard in a CC, but the actual factory CCII isn't easy to find, even in the countries where it was actually sold.
:Indigo2: :Indy:

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:07 pm

itsvince725 wrote:I almost forgot another rare machine-the Mac Color Classic II.

Oops. Used to have one, but my father threw it out after I relocated to Homer for a job. It was in almost perfect condition.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:35 am

Don't feel bad. I actually destroyed a WGS 9150 I got from a friend many years ago for parts. In my defense it wasn't working and this was when they weren't as rare as they are now.

As penance I will keep the one I do have running forthwith. :P
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:24 pm

I think many people have thrown away the odd thing and later regretted it.

Many years ago, I threw out an old, broken Ferrograph reel-to-reel tape recorder (looked like this). At the time, it was ancient, it didn't work (the sound was all garbled), and it was taking up a lot of space.

I felt annoyed a few years later when I realised it was just one valve that had failed (I salvaged those for another old valve amp I have - which I do still own), and I thought about how lovely it would have been to replace that valve and get it working. Still regret it now...
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:27 pm

Trippynet wrote:I think many people have thrown away the odd thing and later regretted it.

Many years ago, I threw out an old, broken Ferrograph reel-to-reel tape recorder (looked like this). At the time, it was ancient, it didn't work (the sound was all garbled), and it was taking up a lot of space.

I felt annoyed a few years later when I realised it was just one valve that had failed (I salvaged those for another old valve amp I have - which I do still own), and I thought about how lovely it would have been to replace that valve and get it working. Still regret it now...

I have one of those, well, very similar, made by fidelity I think. I remember recording Jaws (the audio) when it first came on TV and I used to play it over and over again. I fired it up last year and it still worked.

But, yes, I have dumped some really interesting things in the past, SUN VME systems, System/36, AS/400 plus many more.
Still, I can't turn time back, and I'm happy with what I have.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

scottE

Unread postby scottE » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:51 pm

Trippynet wrote:I think many people have thrown away the odd thing and later regretted it.

If I had been consulted in that particular tossing, I'd have made it clear I wanted that, because those were always sort of rare.

Ah well. Easy come, easy go, unlike my N64.
Scott Elyard cgfx.us

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:12 pm

I had a Silvertone tube amp that I left at a friend's house and never saw again, and ever since whenever I plug a guitar into an amp I think of that Silvertone... :cry:
Project:
Plan:

Return to “Everything Else”