Does anybody use DVD-RAM disks?

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Y888099

Does anybody use DVD-RAM disks?

Unread postby Y888099 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:24 pm

Code: Select all

scsi host4: Adaptec AIC7892, model 29160N, Ultra160 SCSI adapter
scsi host4: aic7892: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, CTRL ID=7
scsi host4: scsi-mmc drive attached dvdram /dev/sr0
dvdram: blk_defIO_buffer, 8MB
dvdram: loop0  attached dvdram /dev/dvdram0
dvdram: partitions [mac] /dev/dvdram0p1 /dev/dvdram0p2 /dev/dvdram0p3

On my linux-PC

So, I am using a couple of DVD-RAM units inside a SCSI tower. Good technology, it works on linux, although.. you need some tricks because the cartridge is not handled as "disk". It's more like a writable DVD, it doesn't directly support blocks of 512 byte, therefore you also need to pass through deferred buffer, and if you want partitions (e.g. mac-partiton table) I need to pass through a loopback mechanism.

Once you have tuned, it works great!

I wonder if IRIX can handle DVD-RAMs, and how it goes.
Last edited by Y888099 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

tingo
Donor
Donor

Re: Does anybody use DVD-RAM discs?

Unread postby tingo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:20 am

Hmm, I see that DVD-RAM discs are available here, but not very cheap. What are the advantages of using DVD-RAM over any other re-writable storage?
the DVD drive on my workstation seems to support DVD-RAM:

Code: Select all

root@kg-core1# uname -a
FreeBSD kg-core1.kg4.no 10.3-STABLE FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE #0 r310083: Wed Dec 14 21:00:13 CET 2016     root@kg-core1.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
root@kg-core1# cdrecord dev=6,0,0 -inq
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.01 (amd64-unknown-freebsd10.3) Copyright (C) 1995-2015 Joerg Schilling
scsidev: '6,0,0'
scsibus: 6 target: 0 lun: 0
Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'Optiarc '
Identifikation : 'DVD RW AD-5170A '
Revision       : '1.12'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
Torfinn

Y888099

Re: Does anybody use DVD-RAM disks?

Unread postby Y888099 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:25 pm

tingo wrote:not very cheap

qty=5, 4.7GB single side, for 20 euro (brand new)
it's 4 euro per cartridge

btw, my customers want DVD-RAM, that was the reason I am digging into this technology

tingo wrote:What are the advantages of using DVD-RAM over any other re-writable storage?

'high reliability', they say

tingo wrote:the DVD drive on my workstation seems to support DVD-RAM:

On linux, you need to modify the kernel, and the user space, mainly for two reasons
1) DVD-RAM don't support 512byte block operations
2) DVD-RAM don't support partitions
Last edited by Y888099 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

recondas

Re: Does anybody use DVD-RAM discs?

Unread postby recondas » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:18 pm

Y888099 wrote:So, I am using a couple of DVD-RAM units inside a SCSI tower. Good technology, it works on linux, although.. you need some tricks because the cartridge is not handled as "disk". It's more like a writable DVD, it doesn't directly support blocks of 512 byte, therefore you also need to pass through deferred buffer, and if you want partitions (e.g. mac-partiton table) I need to pass through a loopback mechanism.

Once you have tuned, it works great!

I wonder if IRIX can handle DVD-RAMs, and how it goes.

DVD-RAM drives are well supported by IRIX. There have been a number of forum discussions concerning IRIX and DVD-RAM over the years. This one briefly touched on how IRIX handles DVD-RAM drives/media... The quotes are from several posts in the same discussion; I quoted rather than linked because not all forum posts from that era could be directly linked:
In 2005 recondas wrote:One minor <non-functional> addition. Some of the Panasonic LF-D2xx series require a DVD-RAM cartridge in order for the drive to function in write/re-write mode. Locally the cartridge disks are somewhat harder to come by and more expensive.

While searching for a firmware update, I discovered Panasonic has a downloadable utility that will allow LF-D2xx and LF-D3xx (4.7gig) drives to write to non-cartridge DVD-RAM disks. There's also a UDF format utility, a tool to set dvd region and test/copy DVD-RAM disks. The software is windows only, the XP version is here: <The link is in the original post, but it's 12 years old, so no promises it still works>

..... 'drag and drop' copying works flawlessly. IRIX (6.5.22) identifies it as a CD-ROM on the desktop and via hinv - tho it does load a dvd icon when I put a <DVD-RAM> disk in and "get info" shows the correct disk size. The right click menu evens offers a 'format dvd' menu option, and warns "you can create only a UDF filesystem on a DVD-RAM". XCDRoast <a fairly old 0.98alpha revision> identifies it as a DVD-RAM but doesn't allow it to be selected as a writer.

The entire discussion is here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7000
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Return to “Everything Else”