Sun Ultra 25 in Multinomah OR

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Sun Ultra 25 in Multinomah OR

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:05 pm

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/sys/6010749034.html

If someone would pick this up for me, pack it and ship it out to me over in Virginia, I'll pay you for gas, packaging, beer and your time picking it up.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Elf
Donor
Donor

Re: Sun Ultra 25 in Multinomah OR

Unread postby Elf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:08 am

Sure. I left the person an e-mail.
:Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Fuel: :Tezro:
:Indy: [x19] :Indigo: [x7] :O2: [x4]

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:16 am

I also messaged the seller, but Elf is closer I think. The Ultra 25 would also have a mandatory layover and testing period if I pick it up...
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

Elf
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Elf » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Haven't heard back yet, so I sent another e-mail. I have a feeling the listing might be dead, though...
:Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Fuel: :Tezro:

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:20 pm

I've not heard anything back either. Probably is dead. Nbd.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Elf
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Elf » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:05 pm

So I have the Ultra 25... What an unexpected day!

I got a reply to the message this afternoon. The Sun was available, and the person behind the listing, Alan, also had some SGI gear. I thought it sounded interesting so I went to see if there was anything to pick up for myself. Arriving, it turns out that Alan had worked for SGI in the '95-98 era (in a variety of positions), and had acquired a lot of equipment along the way, as well as from friends who moved away and left their collections with him. Now, apparently it was much reduced over time (at one point he had an entire pallet load of Indigos!), but it still occupied a few shelves worth in his garage. He was also moving, and it all had to go!

Well, I did come with a cargo van, and so we loaded it almost entirely full of Indigos, O2s with odd color skins, many crates of peripherals and media, and at least a few hundred pounds worth of Indys. Some of the most unusual Indys were NTT branded, which apparently were for an ATM based set-top box style video streaming service. They had IR remote control ports on the front. There were also quite a few prototype machines with odd-colored skins. Many unusual things, like an SGI branded rackmount bracket for two side by side O2s, as well as SCSI to RS-232 Serial adapters.

While moving all of the stuff out, I also had a lot of great conversations with Alan about SGI and other places. He knew Nekochan by name, because apparently he used to work on the SGI Freeware team, and interacted with the people starting Nekoware to provide information and tools. Talked about the switch from the cube logo to the text logo and other such classic topics.

I could never imagine using even a fraction of all this myself, so once I clean, inventory, and test all of it I will have some sort of a plan to offer a lot of it at-cost (shipping, materials, etc.) to interested individuals. Alan just wanted to make sure it went to a good home. People still like Indys, right?

When I am ready to go with that, I will start a separate thread, so don't ask just yet. Also a warning that, with the small amount of free time I have, it may be a few months before I have this all sorted out.

Needless to say I wasn't exactly prepared for any of this, so I don't have good photos, but here are some potatoes from when I unloaded things to a storage unit. You can click on them to view the full sized version, but beware the results.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:04 am

Look at that! Nice haul :)
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:33 am

What an incredible amount of SGI stuff! Looks to include some OEM'd models of the Indigo and ChallengeS, very nice.

Even the Indigo R4K Badges for the Elan and Server, whoa!
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:18 am

Holy moley :O I'll be watching for the inventory on the rest of the haul!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:29 am

Only things I am interested in: those 4 bays SCSI boxes! Exactly what I need! But I am located on the wrong side of the planet.
And my plan to come back to USA (and meet Marisha Ray, around Los Angeles) seems to have been delayed by a recursive algorithm.

Every time I ask my customer in USA, he adds one week of dalay. If you don't ask when you can come back to USA, then he doesn't add more delay. So it sounds like the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:03 am

Brilliant, I hope you get some really cool shite in that lot.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

itsvince725

Unread postby itsvince725 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 am

Are those Tandem Indys? I'm getting an Indy but I wouldn't say no to a Tandem Indy as well...
:Indigo2: :Indy:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Is that a brown Indigo? Would love to talk about that on my channel :D . Looks as if they originally intended it to be even more similar to the Personal IRIS, unless it's an OEM'd system. Can't find any pics of a brown one though, and it's the same color as my video creator box, so I'm guessing SGI did that themselves.

I spy one of the original Moosehead prototypes as well. "Most of all, do not talk about it on the net!"
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

Elf
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Elf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:44 pm

itsvince725 wrote:Are those Tandem Indys? I'm getting an Indy but I wouldn't say no to a Tandem Indy as well...

Ah not Tandem Indys but rather the NTT ones I mentioned earlier. I have been looking around a bit and haven't found any mention of them so far. They have dual SC-connector fiber ports on the back for an ATM hookup, an IR port on the front, and were supposed to be used as set-top boxes for streaming video. I am very curious about what I will find when I open one up. Has anyone seen mention of these elsewhere?

Dodoid wrote:Is that a brown Indigo? Would love to talk about that on my channel :D . Looks as if they originally intended it to be even more similar to the Personal IRIS, unless it's an OEM'd system. Can't find any pics of a brown one though, and it's the same color as my video creator box, so I'm guessing SGI did that themselves.

Sort of a brownish, purpleish grey. I think it's a prototype? Now that you mention it, it does seem similar to the Personal IRIS.

There is also an unbranded Indy in the same color (as well as an odd unbranded white Indy and one in a purple metal chassis). All the O2s as well are a much duller blue than usual, and interestingly, didn't seem nearly as brittle. Although Alan did say he tried to keep the prototype chassis and skins but ended up swapping a lot of the boards out for production versions afterwards (getting rid of all the "bodge wires" etc.) so I am not sure how different the insides will be.

Dodoid wrote:I spy one of the original Moosehead prototypes as well. "Most of all, do not talk about it on the net!"

Haha, the text on the side of it is great. I think my favorite prototype lettering is still this, though:

I think that the next steps for me, besides a lot of cleaning, are to construct some sort of load testing rig for the different types of power supplies, so that I can power them up outside of the chassis and avoid damaging anything, check the voltages, ripple, etc.

Elf
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Elf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:08 pm

Y888099 wrote:Only things I am interested in: those 4 bays SCSI boxes! Exactly what I need! But I am located on the wrong side of the planet.

It might not be too bad to send them by USPS, although I'll have to figure that out down the road.

Return to “Everything Else”