server rack enclosure :: how to seal wires to air leakage?!?!?

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Y888099

server rack enclosure :: how to seal wires to air leakage?!?!?

Unread postby Y888099 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:21 pm

well, I was going over the designs for my server rack enclosure, and it occurred to me, how do i seal around bundles of wires passing in and out of the enclosure.

The ventilation system in my rack is negative pressure, and draws in through a filter. the enclosure is in my basement and there is a wood stove down there (ash dust), so the air coming in needs to be filtered. So what is the best way to non-permanently seal around the wires?

I was thinking of using just a tube, and pack shipping foam tight around the wires.

I was thinking of changing it to a positive pressure, negating the need to seal the wires, but the rack enclosure is mostly built, so it would be a major pain in the ass to change it now. D'oh.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

skywriter

Re: server rack enclosure :: how to seal wires to air leakage?!?!?

Unread postby skywriter » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:41 pm

The best way is to identify a simple mechanical way minimize the amount of one space that needs to be blocked. Such as bundling like-sized wires together so they can be related the same. One useful technique is to use a flat clamp system using foam of rubber to clamp around the wires. YouTube idea would work, I would use a caulk to seal the wire bundles is it's tight enough.

So, how many wires, and sizes would be useful.a picture of the enclosure might be helpful too.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

Elf
Donor
Donor

Re: server rack enclosure :: how to seal wires to air leakage?!?!?

Unread postby Elf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:32 pm

Fire stop or electrician's putty ("duct seal") will work, if you're reasonably certain you are done packing the pass-thru.

E.g. http://www.rainbowtech.net/products/view.php?cn=4035
:Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Fuel: :Tezro:
:Indy: [x19] :Indigo: [x7] :O2: [x4]

Return to “Everything Else”