repair - how do you know if it's worth restoring your bike?

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Y888099

repair - how do you know if it's worth restoring your bike?

Unread postby Y888099 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:55 pm

So, I am not really into 'crotch-rocket' style bikes (e.g. Ducati 996). I prefer something I can take on long trips, with the utility of storage, in case I need to carry something, or buy something from the store.

And it is worth restoring your bike if your love to ride it is greater than any dislike to fix it.

My bike is a 1988 model, and needs more maintenance than a new bike, but so far I can afford to keep it running, and I am quite fond of it, so that makes it worth the time and money as well. I have my gripes about it, like a slight oil leak from the gear shift lever, where it goes through the tranny housing. But the cumulative loss is not enough to worry about. I do find the smoke from it dripping on the exhaust header a little disconcerting. But i can't get to the seal to replace it without taking off the header, and that runs the risk of twisting off a stud in the cylinder head.

Not a good gamble.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: repair - how do you know if it's worth restoring your bike?

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:49 pm

This is a good question for recondas as wrenching bikes is his vocation, but I have not seen him around much lately. Maybe ping him via PM? Speaking of vintage transport, my car is a 20 year old Maxima, which is getting to look pretty gruesome as my daily commute is 50 freeway miles, and during the winter that means 50 miles through micronized droplets of high salt content spray. Oxidation, much? I need a Delorean (the body panels were made of stainless). :|
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:55 am

Fix it! Fix it!

Snapped header studs aren't too hard to extract and if you *really* can't get it going again, well, you were talking about getting a new one anyway!

vishnu wrote:This is a good question for recondas as wrenching bikes is his vocation, but I have not seen him around much lately. Maybe ping him via PM? Speaking of vintage transport, my car is a 20 year old Maxima, which is getting to look pretty gruesome as my daily commute is 50 freeway miles, and during the winter that means 50 miles through micronized droplets of high salt content spray. Oxidation, much? I need a Delorean (the body panels were made of stainless). :|

Try an old porsche (galvanized) or BMW made before 1995 (when they switched to 'decomposable' and 'easily recycled' materials)

My 2003 ford has not a speck of rust underneath but I've had it for 4 years and fluid-film it and also I don't live in minnesota :D

If I needed a car to survive the zombie apocalypse of doom it would be a non-turbo 944. Everything in that thing, handles, knobs, etc, was hewn from granite. How they can call an 80's coupe that weighs as much as a modern SUV a 'sports car' is another question. Those rogue VW engineers...

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:44 am

vishnu wrote:This is a good question for recondas as wrenching bikes is his vocation, but I have not seen him around much lately. Maybe ping him via PM? Speaking of vintage transport, my car is a 20 year old Maxima, which is getting to look pretty gruesome as my daily commute is 50 freeway miles, and during the winter that means 50 miles through micronized droplets of high salt content spray. Oxidation, much? I need a Delorean (the body panels were made of stainless). :|

My poor Miata has a rusted through set of rocker panels. Maybe when I get some cash I can strip the car and cut and weld, but for now, it's garaged because it won't pass inspection until I fix the headlights. Fucking dumbass friend had to back into it and bend the fucking core support. He paid, mind you, but it's still a struggle.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

Return to “Everything Else”