Interesting Topic on Slash Dot

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
uunix
Donor
Donor

Interesting Topic on Slash Dot

Unread postby uunix » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:05 pm

All about, has computing become boring.

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/16/12/28/2058227/ask-slashdot-is-computing-as-cool-and-fun-as-it-once-was

It possibly has in some aspects, but that depends on what you do. If you keep active, like I think we all do, it certainly is never boring with SGI gear, I think hair pulling-ly frustrating at times, but never boring.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

skywriter

Re: Interesting Topic on Slash Dot

Unread postby skywriter » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:22 pm

The sad thing is that the 80's were the begining of the end of interesting computers. Ther were a few last gasp multi-processors, the last series of interesting OS's, and the last of the uProcessors before Intel commmidtized the HW Industry under it. Windows/Linux made it's first attempt at subsuming all the various OS's that lived through the Unix years that killd off the lesser known OS's only to be butchered at the Linux Oracle of FREE SOFTWARE.

Now everything is a cloud based mobile enabled technology; who cares what it all runs on, and if it isn't free it's a dollar or less.

I never found anything interesting on slash dot. The whole comment system elevated inbred members spurious blurbs to the status of web content. Comment systems expose the horrifying underbelly of society to inspection like Trump did to America during his sickening campaign.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:00 am

There are browser plugins that hide comments, I need them. For some websites you can spend more time reading the comments than the real content. Like a train wreck, impossible to look away :oops:

As for OT, I don't think so. Commoditization and technology has enabled myriad new applications and gadgets to tinker with. Example, low power mcus, batteries, wireless communication. Mobile devices and developments within. Home automation devices that now actually work. Meanwhile, standard PCs and games consoles are more powerful than ever. If that doesn't suit you then keep playing with your antiques, it's not like The Cloud is coming to take them away.
Last edited by guardian452 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:43 am

Comments are occasionally relevant. I've had most success with Reddit, where they seem to be valid discussion about 80% of the time.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:02 pm

skywriter wrote:The sad thing is that the 80's were the begining of the end of interesting computers. Ther were a few last gasp multi-processors, the last series of interesting OS's, and the last of the uProcessors before Intel commmidtized the HW Industry under it. Windows/Linux made it's first attempt at subsuming all the various OS's that lived through the Unix years that killd off the lesser known OS's only to be butchered at the Linux Oracle of FREE SOFTWARE.

Now everything is a cloud based mobile enabled technology; who cares what it all runs on, and if it isn't free it's a dollar or less.

I always felt like the idea held on until the 2000's. Not saying it was healthy but the Workstation still existed. Then the sheer number of new standards made it extremely uneconomical to compete with something that wasn't just a PC or a mac.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:14 pm

I can think of a few programs that aren't dollar apps in the cloud yet, two of my personal faves Maya and PTC Creo for example... 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:52 am

I'm with pentium on this one: computers started to become uninteresting around the time the archetypical workstation lines were dying out.

As far as computing, I'll repeat what I said on VCF: computing is much more fun as a hobby than it ever was as a career.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:11 am

ClassicHasClass wrote:I'm with pentium on this one: computers started to become uninteresting around the time the archetypical workstation lines were dying out.

As far as computing, I'll repeat what I said on VCF: computing is much more fun as a hobby than it ever was as a career.

I imagine that is the same with all jobs. I like cooking, but I'd hate to be a chef. Saying that, I do like working in IT.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:52 am

Boring side of SGI-MIPS and HP-PA: there is no software.
But they are good heaters in winter.

computing is much more fun as a hobby than it ever was as a career.

I am with you!
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

tomvos
Donor
Donor

Unread postby tomvos » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:24 am

ClassicHasClass wrote:As far as computing, I'll repeat what I said on VCF: computing is much more fun as a hobby than it ever was as a career.

Yeah, I think this is due to the fact that in your career you have to be in a rush to actually make a career quickly. And this works counterproductive to any curiosity which isn't related to solving the task at hand.
However curiosity and fun go hand in hand, so perhaps it's good to waste some time in your career on "stupid" stuff. You never know where this will lead you or when this will pay back. :D
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:
Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:04 am

Y888099 wrote:Boring side of SGI-MIPS and HP-PA: there is no software.
But they are good heaters in winter.

At least SGI has Nekoware, which makes them almost usable (with workarounds) assuming you have a fast enough machine. Is there something equivalent on PA-RISC HPs?
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:10 am

Dodoid wrote:At least SGI has Nekoware, which makes them almost usable (with workarounds) assuming you have a fast enough machine. Is there something equivalent on PA-RISC HPs?

is there Gnat and Ghdl for HPUX? IRIX? Can you port KiCad there? No?
So …

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:40 am

Y888099 wrote:
Dodoid wrote:At least SGI has Nekoware, which makes them almost usable (with workarounds) assuming you have a fast enough machine. Is there something equivalent on PA-RISC HPs?

is there Gnat and Ghdl for HPUX? IRIX? Can you port KiCad there? No?
So …

I say almost usable. Not as in almost does everything I do on a computer, but as in performs some basic tasks well, making it useful for some stuff. My Octane in my lab handles all the stuff I need to do there (web and media playback mainly) well enough that I sometimes don't bother going upstairs to get my laptop. Of course, when I need to edit 1080p video from an SD card and upload to YouTube, not a chance.

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Dodoid wrote:I sometimes don't bother going upstairs to get my laptop

That's the point. I always bother going upstairs to get my laptop.
Linux, Windows, laptop. Boring, but not useless.

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:52 pm

Y888099 wrote:
Dodoid wrote:I sometimes don't bother going upstairs to get my laptop

That's the point. I always bother going upstairs to get my laptop.
Linux, Windows, laptop. Boring, but not useless.

I dunno, I get excited about basically any computer. I agree a lot of the difference and competition is gone, but they still make some darn good machines (ThinkPads spring to mind, so long as you don't keep the Lenovo crapware)

Return to “Everything Else”