Archaeological dig: old Indys from Acclaim Entertainment unearthed

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Re: Archaeological dig: old Indys from Acclaim Entertainment unearthed

Unread postby Krokodil » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:51 pm

uunix wrote:and then it got lost in the post..

Yup the US government will have it in a huge warehouse at Area 51, where no one will see it again.

There will even be a movie about it called Indiana Jones and the raiders of the lost Indy.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:35 am

TUROK INDY.jpg

Lost-Ark-Crate-Warehouse.jpg
Lost-Ark-Crate-Warehouse.jpg (243.67 KiB) Viewed 468 times
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:05 pm

And sold for 2,551.99 to s***X with 138 ebay transactions. I would imagine this guy will leak the source lol.
:O3x02L: R16000 700Mhz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane:
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R12000SC 300MHz 192MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.7GHz 2GB RAM kasha

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Raion-Fox wrote:And sold for 2,551.99 to s***X with 138 ebay transactions. I would imagine this guy will leak the source lol.

Hmmm, I wonder if said copyright holder could somehow get a court to subpeona AJ (or ebay?) into releasing the identity of the buyer if that happens... just kicking the can further down the road.

More practically, they probably won't care. If they did care, they would have bought the machines to regain control of their IP.

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:13 pm

I doubt it. Nightdive has the trademark now, so I doubt they'll sue. More likely they may appreciate the beta being released as free publicity (PERHAPS??)
:O3x02L: R16000 700Mhz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane:
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R12000SC 300MHz 192MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.7GHz 2GB RAM kasha

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:55 pm

Dreamworks is supposedly the actual IP rights holder for Turok, but neither they nor anyone else has any legal standing to subpoena me about this sale. And I'm happy to report that the buyer is someone whom I know from past transactions - a stand-up individual who is exactly the kind of person who can be trusted to take care of this relic.

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:15 am

SiliconClassics wrote:Dreamworks is supposedly the actual IP rights holder for Turok, but neither they nor anyone else has any legal standing to subpoena me about this sale. And I'm happy to report that the buyer is someone whom I know from past transactions - a stand-up individual who is exactly the kind of person who can be trusted to take care of this relic.

One question: I know you probably wouldn't have wanted to do this, but would it have been legal in theory for you to approach that particular buyer knowing that he would "take care of the relic" (assumed to mean leak the code) as opposed to selling it publicly, or is there some law against choosing to sell to a particular person with the intention that they will break copyright law?

Just curious, not suggesting you should have done that.
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:25 am

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the buyer would leak the code, just that he would properly preserve it and prevent it from being lost. And yes, the law does generally impose accomplice / conspiracy liability on someone who picks another person to do the dirty work, so I couldn't rightfully strike a deal with someone to buy the Indy and "fence" the code without exposing myself to potential legal consequences. But that's all hypothetical, and at this point nobody can know exactly what's going to happen with the contents of this Indy in the coming months.

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:27 am

SiliconClassics wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the buyer would leak the code, just that he would properly preserve it and prevent it from being lost. And yes, the law does generally impose accomplice / conspiracy liability on someone who picks another person to do the dirty work, so I couldn't rightfully strike a deal with someone to buy the Indy and "fence" the code without exposing myself to potential legal consequences. But that's all hypothetical, and at this point neither I nor anyone else can know exactly what's going to happen with the contents of this Indy in the coming months.

Cool, good to know.
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

sincil

Unread postby sincil » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:06 am

Updated video:

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:56 am

Thanks, I was just about to post an update :)

The NBA Jam discovery got picked up by Gamasutra, Kotaku, and a few other news outlets. This weekend I sat down with some of the other CDR discs and found some original high-res sprites for Batman Forever. Scrounged a bunch of 3D character models and mocap data for Shadow Man, which I just sent to Valiant Entertainment, which holds the IP rights.

Also found a bunch of 3D Batman models, apparently artwork for Acclaim's later "Batman & Robin" 3D game for PSX, which apparently sucked but had decent graphics:

batmobile.jpg

bike.jpg

environment2.jpg

That Indy also contains art for several other games, and will be going up on eBay in the next week or two. The "c3po" Indy that just sold on eBay contains mocap for one of the Dave Mirra BMX titles.

Spoke with Jason Scott at the Internet Archive about options for archiving all this stuff without releasing it publicly and getting into legal trouble. I might end up sending them an encrypted copy of everything and holding the key until a rights holder grants permission for content to be released, and/or willing the key to the Internet Archive upon my demise so that it can be eventually decrypted and released upon copyright expiration. Hopefully that would avoid any legal snafus.

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Raion-Fox wrote:And sold for 2,551.99 to s***X with 138 ebay transactions. I would imagine this guy will leak the source lol.

Yeah. I don't see that happening either. For that sort of money they could've bought a much better machine. Essentially it's value mainly lays in the fact that it has that source code.

But atleast SiliconClassics made a killing on that. :)
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

Return to “Everything Else”