President Trump

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
uunix
Donor
Donor

President Trump

Unread postby uunix » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:46 pm

Well considering the long topic of Brexit, this seemed to have been an elephant in the corner of the room here.

Just watched News Night and it ended with some comments, and one from a young lady made me ponder somewhat, albeit from something that happened many years back, but could be linked in something that started all this change in our world and also, what the other side thought.

I wondered if the people on the western side of the Berlin Wall where happy, apprehensive or down right angry when it was brought down. This was something that happened by a small collection of people in comparison to the population of the country, not by any vote, just action by a few. I don't know the answer, but it was a massive change. Did the western population of Germany shudder and worry at the influx of these poor relations?

As with Brexit, the population though have spoken, and it appears the population of the US are tired of the same.. [corruption could I say?]

From the outside, I thought the majority of the US had a difficult choice and must have been thinking 'who is the least worse?'

I've managed to compare the falling of the Belin Wall with Brexit and President Trump, but only on a change in the world spectrum, I'm not comparing the crucifixion of Christ with the decision that Jeff Hurst goal did actually cross the line in the 1966 World Cup.

Dangerous times?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

commodorejohn

Re: President Trump

Unread postby commodorejohn » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:55 pm

uunix wrote:As with Brexit, the population though have spoken, and it appears the population of the US are tired of the same.. [corruption could I say?]

From the outside, I thought the majority of the US had a difficult choice and must have been thinking 'who is the least worse?'

Yes, there's definitely been a lot of exasperation with the same-old ludicrous corruption. Unfortunately, people seem to have decided to respond to that by electing a different ludicrous corruption. This is what happens when one party puts up over a dozen bland milquetoast candidates in varying degrees of objectionable only to have them all bowled over by a revolting clown, and the other straight-up conspires within itself to nominate a candidate who was already rejected by primary voters once, was actually under an investigation at the time of nomination, and is probably the only person in the country who could lose to said clown, and neither of them pay the slightest bit of attention to the issues their voters are actually concerned about. Ugh, fuck everything.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

tomvos
Donor
Donor

Unread postby tomvos » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:20 am

I think the fall of the Berlin Wall can't be compared to Brexit or the Trump presidential campaign. We viewed the fall of the Berlin Wall as a liberation and a unification of the country. Mostly, this was regarded as a positive development by a large majority of the people.

Of course there had been a few who were against the fall of the Berlin Wall and the reunification of Germany. As in, there are always people who are not content with politics, no matter what. But these have been a minor fraction. With Brexit and Trump/Clinton it seems like there issues split the public opinion into two factions which are about equal size.

Another fact you have to keep in mind is the global setting at this time. If the cold war had turned into a hot war, both Germanys would have been nuclear wasteland after the first 20 minutes of this war. So anything averting this fate was seen as a good thing. We knew for sure, fighting was not the way to solve this, because fighting just meant everybody looses. That was kind'a obvious when nuclear rockets are all around.

Brexit and the Trump presidential campaign seem to be based on the idea that you're better off on your own. That's quite the opposite to the mood in Germany at the time of fall of the Berlin Wall.
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:
Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.

surrealdeal

Unread postby surrealdeal » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:32 am

Forum rules
No politics, please.

It says it right there

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:46 am

surrealdeal wrote:It says it right there

:roll:

It does indeed.. but there are significant world events that we do talk about, and have done successfully in the not to distant past.

Now obviously, it's entirely up to the moderators, but as in the past we have all been very sensible about our discussions and when to end them.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:36 pm

Not my president, ever.

With his immigration restrictions, carnys will disappear and carnivals will become extinct.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:37 am

Now it's obvious, the Russians got him elected. No wonder he was so lovey with Putin. We're officially screwed in the US now. President Baby-Trumpski won't lose his fangs from the countries throat now - and the spineless congress and senate will most likely let him keep sucking the lifeblood out of us.

Hamai would go wild over this one.

DECUS Member 368596

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:48 pm

uunix wrote:I wondered if the people on the western side of the Berlin Wall where happy, apprehensive or down right angry when it was brought down. This was something that happened by a small collection of people in comparison to the population of the country, not by any vote, just action by a few. I don't know the answer, but it was a massive change. Did the western population of Germany shudder and worry at the influx of these poor relations?

My view on this is obviously a bit biassed as my wife is from the former East Germany. However, the feeling I have is that by and large western Germans were very pleased. Their country had finally become united once more - and without any war or bloodshed. It was peaceful re-unification, and continues to be celebrated every year across Germany (3rd October, a national holiday).

Now don't get me wrong, there was a bit of resentment in the years that followed about the amount of Western German money used to rebuild and regenerate areas of Eastern Germany, plus the inflated valuation placed on Eastern German currency to help the transition (necessary many would say to help prevent the mass movement of people as you suggest - although many did move, plenty also stayed), but overall the national pride of being a unified country again seems to have prevailed. In fact Eastern German cities such as Dresden have flourished since reunification (major VW plants, AMD's two main former fabs, etc).

I'd say this is a far cry from what has happened with Brexit and Trump, in both cases major countries seem to have ended up increasingly split over these issues. A sense of unity is greatly absent in both the UK and the states at the moment...
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:47 am

Every country gets the president it wants. Stop complaining - there's a difference between making string figures and formal knot theory.
Everyone loves a lover. Romeo loves Juliet. Therefore, Trump loves Putin.

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:42 pm

Oskar45 wrote:Every country gets the president it wants.

Trump did not win the popular vote, as such, we are not getting the president the majority wants. Plus he's a horribly corrupt person and his cabinet is a nest of thieves and white supremacists.

DECUS Member 368596

GL1zdA
Donor
Donor

Unread postby GL1zdA » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:58 pm

skywriter wrote:

Trump did not win the popular vote, as such, we are not getting the president the majority wants.

But the American president is not elected in popular vote, you can't just say that in the popular vote the results would be the same.

skywriter wrote:Plus he's a horribly corrupt person and his cabinet is a nest of thieves and white supremacists.

Oh my god, hamei hacked skywriters account.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:12 am

GL1zdA wrote:
skywriter wrote:Plus he's a horribly corrupt person and his cabinet is a nest of thieves and white supremacists.

Oh my god, hamei hacked skywriters account.

Nah. It's just a statement of fact.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

Oskar45

Unread postby Oskar45 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:09 am

skywriter wrote:

Trump did not win the popular vote, as such, we are not getting the president the majority wants.

Trump is only the democratic result of the way the US presidential election system works. Don't know whether there's a proper translation into English of Karl Kraus, "Die Dritte Walpurgisnacht" - but its very first sentence could be paraphrased nicely. Anyhow, good luck America.
Everyone loves a lover. Romeo loves Juliet. Therefore, Trump loves Putin.

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:28 am

GL1zdA wrote:Oh my god, hamei hacked skywriters account.

Hah! I had the same thought! :lol:

skywriter

Unread postby skywriter » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:15 am

GL1zdA wrote:
skywriter wrote:

But the American president is not elected in popular vote, you can't just say that in the popular vote the results would be the same.

No he isn't elected by the popular vote, but that's what oskar was intimating when he said "we got who we wanted". The popular vote results in what we wanted, and it wasn't Trump. Trump was elected via the Electoral Vote system, which is supposed to guard against misplaced popular votes. This Trump phenomenon is clearly a "Cult of personality", as such the Electoral system should disqualify him. The single thing he did to promote the people he appealed to was the carrier deal - however, that was fraud with lies; the number of jobs saved is nowhere near what he claims them to be. Mark my word, once the heat is off carrier, those jobs will disappear, and all the people that voted for him will be left hanging.

This is playing out like every bad novel with a cartoon bad guy. Where is our hero???

I don't understand the second part of your sentence.

DECUS Member 368596

Return to “Everything Else”